2010 Census - huh?

sidegate

Today, I got another Census Form. Do I fill out another one? This one says "YOUR RESPONSE IS REQUIRED BY LAW". I don't recall the original one stating that.

I got a second one today, also. I have already sent it in once, and I'm now wondering if maybe I received, then filled out my neighbors or something. This one is definitely addressed to me. I don't want to be responsible for fudging up the numbers.

I will validate that. As someone who is also concerned about government waste (even though I benefit from it), I can assure you that you do NOT want someone getting paid nearly $20 per hour to have to knock on your door multiple times to establish contact with your forgetful neighbor in order to interview them. That is of course not including the administrative overhead associated with the operations.

Little post cards on inexpensive paper and bulk mailed at extraordinarily high volume probably cost well under $0.42 each. If anything, they should send out another volley or two.

OK, I'm just short of conceding the point. These dollar figues are from the U.S. Census, right? I'm not convinced that they don't manipulate the numbers to their advantage.

I agree that we need an accurate count of people living in the U.S. for many reasons. But, those folks who do not want to be counted will find a way to disappear and no amount of knocking on doors will find them. They'll throw away the official form plus any additional 'reminders' they receive.

I personally did not need those extra pieces of paper and I know many folks who agree with me. Filling out the form takes what? Five, maybe six minutes depending on the number living in the household?

I appreciate that you are providing personal insight to the enumerator experience and I look forward to any additional stories you might relate.

OK, I'm just short of conceding the point. These dollar figues are from the U.S. Census, right? I'm not convinced that they don't manipulate the numbers to their advantage.

Given the waste I've experienced, accidental or otherwise, I'm not convinced that they know what the numbers actually are that they can be manipulated. And if they tried to inflate the cost estimates, there's at least a reasonable chance that their fudged number turns out to be accurate...or under.

The bottom line is still the same. If you're opposed to government waste, MAIL IN YOUR CENSUS FORM!

I agree that we need an accurate count of people living in the U.S. for many reasons. But, those folks who do not want to be counted will find a way to disappear and no amount of knocking on doors will find them. They'll throw away the official form plus any additional 'reminders' they receive.

Most people are more lazy, careless, distracted or disorganized than they are paranoid. Reminders can still be effective. My own Census supervisor hadn't mailed back his form yet. Neither have I. And rather than fear the man...we are the man.

Most people are more lazy, careless, distracted or disorganized than they are paranoid.

I fall into the distracted camp. We've recently just moved, and any form we had is now either lost or misplaced. Any idea where we can pick up another?

I fall into the distracted camp. We've recently just moved, and any form we had is now either lost or misplaced. Any idea where we can pick up another?

Your situation is fairly common. The easiest route may be to ask your neighbors whether you can have one of their redundant forms.

Alternatively, you can call the Public Information Office at 301-763-3691 or e-mail them at "pio.2010@census.gov".

Alternatively, you can call or drop by your Local Census Office (LCO); this link takes you to a list of all the LCOs in Texas. The map sucks and for whatever reason they don't provide street numbers on the address fields, but they do give phone numbers.

Your situation is fairly common. The easiest route may be to ask your neighbors whether you can have one of their redundant forms.

Alternatively, you can call the Public Information Office at 301-763-3691 or e-mail them at "pio.2010@census.gov".

Alternatively, you can call or drop by your Local Census Office (LCO); this link takes you to a list of all the LCOs in Texas. The map sucks and for whatever reason they don't provide street numbers on the address fields, but they do give phone numbers.

You can also call toll-free at 866-872-6868 to request another census form.

I've read that the overall response rate in Texas is very low, which is unfortunate since the state benefits if everyone is counted.

Very low = GOOD NEWS for Texas! ... Less federal government intrusion, less federal mandates, reduced federal funding... reduced representation in Washington DC... If anything, we're well on our way - to actually making the case - let's become our own nation! Rick Perry for President of Texas! Forever!

Keep up the good work, guys! We clearly know what we're doing.

Archived