METRORail Down Highway 288 To Pearland?

Howard Huge

Everyone knows of the tremendous growth of Pearland and the traffic headache of working commuters it causes on 288. If youve ever driven down 288, you are aware of the huge gap of grass between the North and Southbound lanes. Ive often looked at it sitting in traffic and thought a rail line going from dt all the way down to pearland would be beatiful and ease a lot of congestion. So if not a rail line at least a 2 way HOV.

Various alternatives for the use of the 288 median as well as for the UP tracks along FM 521 are already being considered. If commuter rail is feasible, it'll likely use the existing tracks and would also include a westward leg to Rosenberg.

link?

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/HOU/mis/sh288_us59/default.htm

So far, it's simply being studied but the plan all along has been to build toll lanes whenever the population of Brazoria County/southern Harris County grew to what it is today. There are no short term fixes... it's just going to keep getting worse until years from now. That's why I absolutely hate 288 right now and I want out of Pearland! lol That's why I plan to live on campus at UofH next year.

Oh, and I also attended a public meeting/presentation once - can't remember who, probably HGAC - that showed a very long-term rail map with commuter rail in the Alameda corridor along existing tracks.

Tory, do you recall if those long term plans showed them retracking the portion of Columbia Tap that's now part of the Columbia Tap Rails to Trails Hike and Bike Trail?

• The title was changed to METRORail Down Highway 288 To Pearland?

Archived