Allen Parkway Vs. Memorial

Does anyone know the history of these two roads? I mean, why would Houston build two "thorough fares" into downtown, from a realitivley middle of no where part of town?

My boyfriend and I were discussing theories, and thought that one would be the River Oaks crowd wanted a quick way into work without traffic or lights...however, that wouldn't explain the need for two of them. We researched some of the history and have yet to find an explanation.

This group seems to know EVERYTHING and I thought someone could enlighten us.

Thanks!

Allen Parkway was there first and it was originally called Buffalo Drive. Both of them are wonderful assets to our community and one or both is a definite must on a driving tour for out of town visitors.

Buffalo Drive (Allen Parkway) was built in the 1920s, in large part to connect the new development of River Oaks to downtown. Originally Memorial just extended a short distance east from Memorial Park. The freeway-like section that connects to downtown was not built until the 1950s. About at that time it was being extended west of the park as well as new suburbs were being developed.

This group seems to know EVERYTHING and I thought someone could enlighten us.

Below is the text on the history of Memorial from the Houston Freeways book. Without going back into the notes, I can't give 100% sure-to-be-correct answer as to why it was needed in addition to Allen Parkway (Buffalo Drive), but traffic was quite heavy on Buffalo Drive in the 1950s since I-10 and US 59 did not exist.

I also have a really interesting newspaper article from the 1940s that provides a lot of early history. Unfortunately it is not in digital format so not easily placed online.

Memorial Parkway

A freeway along the banks of Buffalo Bayou west of downtown was one of the early freeway corridors contemplated for Houston in the city of Houston

I've always wished that there was another N-S corridor through the bayou area west of Shepherd before you get to the west loop feeder. Like connecting Kirby to Westcott, Willowick to Picnic lane (hehe) or something along the Southern Pacific rail-line. Damn the river oaks country club!! :)

Just a personal pet peeve. I seem to spend a decent amount of time each week going around this 'natural obstruction'.

You frustrations are part of the HCTRA concept that was shot down about a tollway through Memorial.

I drove up and down Kirby from Westheimer to I-10 to head out to the Northwest side for work for two years. Mornings wasn't bad heading out, but afternoons were a lot worse.

I like the drive in the end.

You frustrations are part of the HCTRA concept that was shot down about a tollway through Memorial.

nodnod.

I suppose all the way to I-10 would be the way to do it although for my own selfish reasons I just want an easy access from Westheimer to Memorial threw there.

On a side note, the amount of congestion trying to get under 610 through this region is nuts, especially east bound in the afternoons. Memorial, Woodway, San Felipe and Westheimer are all huge bottlenecks. I so wish there was some open access through there analogous to the neighborhood bridges over 59 (woodhead etc).

I have to tell you, if I were a business in that area, I would sue SOMEONE! I can tell you as a consumer they loose out on my money because I wont go near that area to do my shopping. The traffic is enough to make me want to breath fire! :> It will be nice to see it when it is all done, but it might be too late. I cannot believe they haven't fixed at least the busiest intersections yet.

On a side note, the amount of congestion trying to get under 610 through this region is nuts, especially east bound in the afternoons. Memorial, Woodway, San Felipe and Westheimer are all huge bottlenecks.

It is a mess.

But, the new entrance ramps should open June 1st.

That should help!

Don't forget they'll start tearing San Felipe up from Target  to Sage Road soon too.  Its being widened to 3 lanes in each direction all the way through.

Sigh. That will add another 10 minutes to my commute before I even get on the loop. Hopefully, the Westheimer u-turn lane will be opened up by then.

BTW, does anyone know of a rendering of what the west loop area will look like after all this mess is done?

Once the West Loop construction is finished (it is way ahead of schedule BTW) the streets under the freeway and intersections of those streets at the frontage roads will be rebuilt and improved, as was done with the West Loop south of the Southwest Freeway. This will improve traffic flow throughout the area greatly.

I am on a project at 5 Post Oak Plaz with a view of it, too. The 5:00 gridlock is like somthing out of a bad movie.

I am amazed that San Felipe does not have sidewalks past the RR tracks!

5 Post Oak Plaza (Amegy/SW Bank of Texas Building), BTW, is a major dump! It might look pretty from the outside, but it has some major problems inside.

Just proves you can't judge a book by its cover.

San Felipe doesn't have sidewalks east of the train tracks to prevent pedestrians from outside of River Oaks from roaming the neighborhood. It was designed long before the new planning regulations on major thoroughfares was formed.

A major problem with Westheimer, San Felipe, and Post Oak intersections under the loop is capacity. San Felipe has the absolute minimum land width size. I think they may be smaller than 10 feet though. I usually avoid it if I can because I worry I might get side swiped.

Yeah, its kind of silly, but I guess the help in the neighborhood needs the ride home.

Actually, I rarely see peole waiting for stops along this stretch of San Felipe.

Me either. I do see one old bum who lives near the tracks, and drinks and the R&R Bar.

River Oaks cracks me up. All the hired help have pretty nice cars. I've been driving down Lazy Lane to Inwood lately, and it's funny to see.

They even go jogging in the morning and walk the dogs.

• The title was changed to Allen Parkway Vs. Memorial

Archived