Houston: Potential Site for the 2012 US Olympic Marathon Trials

citizen4rmptown

Well i wasn't aware of this, and should be some good exposure for Houston. If we do get it, it would just add to our experience for hosting large sporting events.

Article from the Chron,

Raising the ante for Olympic trials

Houston seeks to land both races in January 2012

Houston has joined some fancy company as one of three finalists bidding to host the 2012 U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials.

But, in typical Houston fashion, organizers of the Chevron Houston Marathon one-upped their lofty rivals — the New York and Boston marathons.

Houston wants the men's and women's races, managing director Steven Karpas said.

New York seeks only the men, and Boston is after the women. They were the respective sites of the 2008 men's and women's trials.

Thoughts, anybody?

The race would be on a Saturday in January 2012, the day before the regular Houston Marathon events, on a multiple-lap criterium course along Allen Parkway and Memorial Drive to avoid too much traffic disruption.

Karpas is comfortable with the hotel situation, given that the events fall on a weekend and the new Embassy Suites at Discovery Green will be open by then.

“It's going to be expensive for us, paying for two races,” he said, “but this is for Houston. We've taken our knocks trying to land major sports events. I think we've got a real good chance based on the feedback I've had.”

link: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/run/6807646.html

It goes on to mention Houston's failed efforts to land the 2012 olympics, and how this would compensate at least for a little bit.

I think it's a great idea, plus, it's in January, so next year our mildly cool winters should return. For a first, no one will complain about the weather!

• 2 weeks later...

Running a marathon in NY or Boston in January seems to make as little sense as running one here in July.

Yeah, but running in the cold is a lot more easier to tolerate than running in the heat, not to mention, a lot less health risks associated with the weather. It's more likely for one to get heat stroke, get dehydrated, pass out, etc in the heat, than in the cold.

Plus, Boston, and even more NYC are more more known for their marathons they hold than Houston. Add their experience in hosting large events, and it makes sense to hold the trials there. Both were the host cities for the last marathon trials, so that helps Houston since they havent hosted since 1992.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, but running in the cold is a lot more easier to tolerate than running in the heat, not to mention, a lot less health risks associated with the weather. It's more likely for one to get heat stroke, get dehydrated, pass out, etc in the heat, than in the cold.

Plus, Boston, and even more NYC are more more known for their marathons they hold than Houston. Add their experience in hosting large events, and it makes sense to hold the trials there. Both were the host cities for the last marathon trials, so that helps Houston since they havent hosted since 1992.

What are you talking about? The event will be in January, not July.

Further, while Boston and NY are clearly more known for their marathons, Houston's is plenty-well known in the marathon world. And Houston has PLENTY of experience hosting large events, easily the match of Boston. (and let's be serious, in the universe of "large" events, the Olympic marathon trials would not rank very high.)

What are you talking about? The event will be in January, not July.

Further, while Boston and NY are clearly more known for their marathons, Houston's is plenty-well known in the marathon world. And Houston has PLENTY of experience hosting large events, easily the match of Boston. (and let's be serious, in the universe of "large" events, the Olympic marathon trials would not rank very high.)

I like the idea. It would be neat to have it in Houston along with whatever else we can eventually land. I think either way it wouldn't hurt to have it under our Houston's belt in attracting more events to the city.

• 3 weeks later...

From the Houston Chronicle,

Houston will host the men’s and women’s 2012 U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials, the first time a city has staged both races, a USA Track and Field official announced Monday.

The Houston Marathon Committee outbid the prestigious Boston and New York marathons, which were the sites of the 2008 women’s and men’s trials, respectively. The organization’s board voted unanimously to award both races to Houston, said USATF chairman Doug Logan at a news conference at City Hall. The races will be held Jan. 14, 2012, the day before the annual Houston marathon, on a closed, multiple-lap course along Allen Parkway and Memorial Drive. The top three finishers in each event will represent the United States at the London 2012 Olympic Games in August.

This will be cool, and just adds to Houston's experiance for hosting large events, that should help it in the future. Even better considering its the first time that both the men's and women's will be held in the same city. It also nice to see USATF have so much confidence in Houston, as well.

The USATF has a much better story.

As we expected, all three bids were remarkable, and all three bids had qualities that made each unique," USATF CEO Doug Logan. "Ultimately, we feel that hosting the Olympic Trials at Houston will afford our athletes the best opportunity to succeed in London. What was most striking about Houston's bid was their ability to integrate the Olympic Trials into their weekend of racing in a way that benefitted all parties, but first and foremost, the athletes." Utilizing a public-private partnership, with the support of the city of Houston and the Harris County Sports Commission, Houston will invest $1.7 million to host both races. Those funds will go toward event logistics, athlete support, travel and prize money.

"I am really excited to know that Houston will be hosting the 2012 Olympic Trials," 2008 Olympic 10,000m bronze medalist Shalane Flanagan said. "The race organizers know how to make elite athletes feel at home and to set the stage for us to compete at our highest levels. I think the timing of the race is perfect, and I have no doubt that Houston will put on an outstanding event."

"Houston is a special place for me," said Keflezighi, the 2004 Olympic silver medalist in the marathon. "Thanks to a great performance there in 2009, I had maybe the best year of my career. I even went back in 2010 to support the race at their expo. I am looking forward to going back and competing in 2012."

http://www.usatf.org/news/view.aspx?duid=USATF_2010_03_01_06_18_01

I haven't read the links, but I'm curious as to what exactly persuaded them to make this decision.

Well the USATF has this part that might answer your curiousty:

"As we expected, all three bids were remarkable, and all three bids had qualities that made each unique," USATF CEO Doug Logan. "Ultimately, we feel that hosting the Olympic Trials at Houston will afford our athletes the best opportunity to succeed in London. What was most striking about Houston's bid was their ability to integrate the Olympic Trials into their weekend of racing in a way that benefitted all parties, but first and foremost, the athletes."

The timing of the race offered by Houston also was appealing to the site selection committee. With the London Olympic Games being held in early August, rather than the later dates of recent Games, having the Trials far enough out to allow for proper recovery and preparation for London, yet close enough to be relevant to the Games, was a high priority.

"We are very proud to be chosen as the Olympic Trials host city for the one of the marquee track and field events of the Olympic Games," said Houston Marathon race director Brant Kotch. "Through our involvement with the U.S. Half Marathon Championships, we have developed a strong partnership with USATF, and we are looking forward to having the eyes of the running world focused on Houston in January 2012."

And I doubt we can keep this thread active until the Olympic Trials, but can the mods at least change this to "Houston: Site of the 2012 US Olympic Trials", or something like that?

Archived