Gulf Freeway HOV Delays

If I remember my history correctly, when the HOV lanes were originally built they were to support busses, vans and car pools only, and only later were 2+ passenger cars added to the mix. In the last couple of years the HOV lane has become extremely crowded, with stoppages on the HOV occurring almost daily. Is it time to raise the minimum number of passengers to at least 3+ to try and reduce the number of cars and improve traffic flow on the HOV?

If I remember my history correctly, when the HOV lanes were originally built they were to support busses, vans and car pools only, and only later were 2+ passenger cars added to the mix. In the last couple of years the HOV lane has become extremely crowded, with stoppages on the HOV occurring almost daily. Is it time to raise the minimum number of passengers to at least 3+ to try and reduce the number of cars and improve traffic flow on the HOV?

Plans call for the HOV lane to eventually be converted into an HOT lane. That plan would actually add MORE cars to the lane since single occupant cars would now have the option to use the lane for a fee.

Plans call for the HOV lane to eventually be converted into an HOT lane. That plan would actually add MORE cars to the lane since single occupant cars would now have the option to use the lane for a fee.

ignoring dynamic monitoring perhaps but your statement is disingenuous.

If the daily stoppages are due to overcrowding then it seems it would be an easy fix to raise the minimum number of passengers. Once the HOVs get too crowded it defeats the whole purpose.

If the daily stoppages are due to overcrowding then it seems it would be an easy fix to raise the minimum number of passengers. Once the HOVs get too crowded it defeats the whole purpose.

I think a big reason for the overcrowding is that there are tons of cars with only 1 person in them. I thought that was against the rules? And why are there NO police officers monitoring the exits to enforce the rules? I mean, with all this babble about how the city or PD is broke... then why the heck are they not issuing fines to the violators? It's a gold mine of violators/fines!

I think a big reason for the overcrowding is that there are tons of cars with only 1 person in them. I thought that was against the rules? And why are there NO police officers monitoring the exits to enforce the rules? I mean, with all this babble about how the city or PD is broke... then why the heck are they not issuing fines to the violators? It's a gold mine of violators/fines!

Yeah, I used to see tons of people riding solo and utilizing the HOVs. They should slap a $1000 fines on those guys. You would think it would be relatively easy to set up a remote monitoring system. Film the cars entering and then snap their license plates.