Baumann-Swope House

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

This house is a few houses down from my house on Eastwood Street. The house is in bad shape and looks just awful. No one would ever suspect a house in its current condition has such an interesting history. What a shame. My house (which is restored) is just as old, if not older, but I have no idea the history behind it. I asked Subdude, as to where I might be able to find historical information on my house, as he did on the Baumann-Swope House, but I never got a reply back. Does anybody know where I could start my search?

A decent place to start is with old city directories and Sanborn maps (HPL has early directories on their digital archives site and the maps are available online if you have a HPL card I think)..

I have been using the old city directories to do the same for my Eastwood home. I have a membership to Ancestry.com, and they have the directories through 1951, so I have been able to at least find out the original owner of my house (an accountant, just like me :)), with the idea to trace that family to present day and see if they have pictures or memories related to the house. The original owners of mine lived in the house from 1936 (year it was built) to at least 1951, and maybe longer, but have both since passed away. It looks like they had a son, so that is where I am focusing now.

The city library will have more info, and more recent directories, but I'm sort of a lazy researcher and like to look from the comfort of home before tacking the library resources!

If you PM me your address, I can see what ancestry.com has as far as original owner.

Archived