No Citizen Question on 2010 Census

Population increases in Houston  

13 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you think Houston population will gain with this new Census?

• They already count them in estimates, no change other then expected growth.
    • Maybe a little; +0 - 150,000
    • Wee bit more; +150,00 - 300,000
    • Way more; +300,000 - 750,000
    • Ton more; +750,000 - 1,000,000
    • Unlikely, but wouldn't be surprised; +1,000,000

Watching CNN, they are talking about how House Democrats voted for a No Citizen Question on the 2010 Census. I don't want this to turn into a political discussion, which is why I put it here.

So does the Census make a ruff estimate on Illegals and ever ad it to population estimates? And since this passed, will Illegals actually count themselves? Or will they be worried about deportation? Will this significantly increase the population numbers for Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, and all of Texas & California? Or even the entire U.S.?

Edit: I don't know what happened to the "subject", probably my fat fingers.

Edited by Montrose1100

We want to encourage everyone to participate so that we get an accurate count of how many people are in the country. If you require people to report their citizenship status, obviously a lot of illegals are going to avoid participating. Makes sense to me to not ask.

And yes, illegals are already counted in the Census.

I bet most illegals will still be too suspicious to answer the questions.

But, if they do all report, then you'll probably see a significant rise not only in Houston or Texas/Southwest/California, you'll probablyalso see an increase in Florida, Atlanta, Chicago and the Northeast as well. Even though they compose the largest segment, illegals don't just come from Mexico.

I bet most illegals will still be too suspicious to answer the questions.

But, if they do all report, then you'll probably see a significant rise not only in Houston or Texas/Southwest/California, you'll probablyalso see an increase in Florida, Atlanta, Chicago and the Northeast as well. Even though they compose the largest segment, illegals don't just come from Mexico.

Illegals are already counted in the Census, so the only rise would be just new birth, immigration, etc.

Illegals are already counted in the Census, so the only rise would be just new birth, immigration, etc.

If they're already counted, then why is the illegal immigrant population always estimated? It seems to me they could just subtract the number of SSNs from the census total to get an accurate number.

By the way, it's not too difficult to opt out of the census. If you don't return the survey form and if you're never home when the pavement pounders knock on your door, you're officially not counted.

If they're already counted, then why is the illegal immigrant population always estimated? It seems to me they could just subtract the number of SSNs from the census total to get an accurate number.

Because there's always a certain number of households that the Census can't get data on. Besides, some SSNs belong to dead people and they don't always have that data. The total population of citizens is estimated too, you know.

By the way, it's not too difficult to opt out of the census. If you don't return the survey form and if you're never home when the pavement pounders knock on your door, you're officially not counted.

Right, and they estimate for these households.

No one here illegally is going to fill out any official government documents - especially something like the census. Regardless if the question is there or not.

This is nothing more than a political stunt, an attempt at political gain, on the tops of illegals. That's never been tried before, has it?

I don't think you can keep politics out of this one...

Edited by BryanS

• 2 weeks later...

No one here illegally is going to fill out any official government documents - especially something like the census. Regardless if the question is there or not.

This is nothing more than a political stunt, an attempt at political gain, on the tops of illegals. That's never been tried before, has it?

I don't think you can keep politics out of this one...

Best answer.

Why do people keep bumping this thread by voting on the poll? Its a moot point. The question will not be asked on the Census. It never has been and it won't now.

I tend to agree. We need to only bump food related threads by voting on the polls.

And magnet related threads by voting on the poles!

Who doesn't like a bad joke? Who, I ask?