Memories Of Almeda

JLWM8609

Nice article about the section of Almeda between Alabama and Brays Bayou and how it's been undergoing a transformation. Of course, they did get some things wrong, such as all of Almeda being part of FM 521. The only portions of Almeda that are part of FM 521 are south of OST. They also call 288 "U.S. 288". :rolleyes: They also could have mentioned that Almeda was 288 before the freeway was built.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/life/main/6693500.html

It really is hard to believe that this strip hasn't been hit with an influx of restaurants and bars yet. I know people are predicting that either the near northside or Harrisburg will be the new nightlife spot, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened on Almeda.

As a new resident to the area I say quite emphatically to keep the bars away!!! Who would want this historic and unique neighborhood to go the way of Rice Military/ Washington corridor? There are some really great homes in Lower Midtown/ Museum District (too bad some of the them haven't been kept up that great since the area transitioned away from being primarily Jewish). However, that is changing as we speak with older homes being renovated and newer homes built. Just keep the bars away!

• The title was changed to A Road Called Almeda: A Story By Houston Chronicle
  • The title was changed to Memories Of Almeda