What happened in the dairy aisle

Subdude

It's been called Disco Kroger since the disco era of the late 70's. We locals now lovingly call it "Crack-Head Kroger", especially the late-nite (24/hrs) crowd. The other Montrose Kroger on W. Gray is referred to as the "Pretty-People Kroger"

Actually, the old Walgreen's (now Soundwaves) was referred to as Disco Walgreen's, but that changed when they moved in to the fancy new building.

This clip was done at Paks on W. Alabama @ Flora. The choreography shames those amateurs and it tells a touching story. laugh.gif

(I don't know how to embed.)

It was dubbed, "Disco Kroger" because of the Limelight Disco club that was placed there in the same strip back in 1980, so it has NOT been Disco Kroger since the 70's but late 70's IS almost close enough.

Check THIS out. Neat little story.

http://buckhead.lps2.com/Articles-i-2008-10-17-186182.112113_Disco_Kroger_ready_to_boogie.html

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not purposefully being confusing. If you choose a random set of items and try to determine what store is cheaper, I don't know or care who would win. All I'm saying is this: I shop for meat, mainly. I shop by sales. If I go purely on number of sales and quality of those sales, my observation is that Kroger wins. I have tried to shop by sale at both HEB and Randall's, and neither has enough sales every week for me to make all my purchases on sale. Kroger most always does (5 out of 6 weeks). The way I shop (revert back to single life, I'm not doing the shopping any more but have adequately trained the wife to get excited about meat prices), I go to the store, and I see what the deals are. Top sirloin cap petite steak for $3.99/lb? Sold. Country style pork ribs for $1.49/lb? That's what I'm eating this week. I'm just saying, I don't go to the store intending to buy any certain thing, I go by the specials and I save loads of $. If anyone goes to the store with a set menu for the week, they will come out spending more than I do. We don't limit it to Kroger though. Based on the weekly ads, we might be buying jumbo shrimp from Fiesta, pork butt from Foodarama, and spare ribs from HEB. Good thing for me I love to cook and am not picky, because we come out ahead every week. I average spending $7 per week on lunch....all lunches for the week.

Yessir!! I cook based on what meat is for sale that week. You just need a well stocked pantry, flexibility with your weekly produce buys, and a little skill--good to go. The worst food buys (other than frozen and pre-made stuff) is boneless, skinless anything, and lunch meat. What most people spend on processed chicken breasts is my liquor money for the week.

On topic: I split my time between HEB, Kroger and Fiesta. Only the true believers will want to shop the Wayside Fiesta, but their produce is way better than the Gulfgate HEB. I will say this about West Gray Kroger: they have great manager meat specials if you are buying and cooking the same day.

I am not purposefully being confusing. If you choose a random set of items and try to determine what store is cheaper, I don't know or care who would win. All I'm saying is this: I shop for meat, mainly. I shop by sales. If I go purely on number of sales and quality of those sales, my observation is that Kroger wins. I have tried to shop by sale at both HEB and Randall's, and neither has enough sales every week for me to make all my purchases on sale. Kroger most always does (5 out of 6 weeks). The way I shop (revert back to single life, I'm not doing the shopping any more but have adequately trained the wife to get excited about meat prices), I go to the store, and I see what the deals are. Top sirloin cap petite steak for $3.99/lb? Sold. Country style pork ribs for $1.49/lb? That's what I'm eating this week. I'm just saying, I don't go to the store intending to buy any certain thing, I go by the specials and I save loads of $. If anyone goes to the store with a set menu for the week, they will come out spending more than I do. We don't limit it to Kroger though. Based on the weekly ads, we might be buying jumbo shrimp from Fiesta, pork butt from Foodarama, and spare ribs from HEB. Good thing for me I love to cook and am not picky, because we come out ahead every week. I average spending $7 per week on lunch....all lunches for the week.

And for those meat prices.... 20%/30% off... with card. Kroger - it's always about the damn card.

HEB, down here, has far better meat prices/selection than the Kroger next door to it. And - no silly card.

I also don't care about the stores. And I really don't give a rats about price too much either, as long as one place is not double the other.

...so it has NOT been Disco Kroger since the 70's but late 70's IS almost close enough.

I have no doubt your origin story is accurate, but it is still called Disco Kroger by almost everyone. I was teething when the place earned its alternate name, so I'm pretty sure I'm not just wistfully using the name nostalgically.

I have no doubt your origin story is accurate, but it is still called Disco Kroger by almost everyone. I was teething when the place earned its alternate name, so I'm pretty sure I'm not just wistfully using the name nostalgically.

The Disco Kroger he's referring to is in Atlanta.

It was dubbed, "Disco Kroger" because of the Limelight Disco club that was placed there in the same strip back in 1980, so it has NOT been Disco Kroger since the 70's but late 70's IS almost close enough.

Check THIS out. Neat little story.

http://buckhead.lps2.com/Articles-i-2008-10-17-186182.112113_Disco_Kroger_ready_to_boogie.html

Epicly WRONG.

This is what happens when you google "disco kroger" and grab the first story (third link) on the page. I guess he was too busy to notice all the references to Atlanta on the search results page, or even the url's name of BUCKHEAD!

:lol:

I do get what you're saying... If the price isn't good enough on a given week, ya skip.

Still.. we're not actually buying the items.. we are pricing the items an letting the data accumulate.

Everyone could price 1lb of ground beef, generic toilet paper, best buy on cat food, coke, and a 1/2 gallon of 2%.. etc. each time they go to the store regardless if they need the items or not. I still think eventually we would discover a pattern of who offers the best prices on a given item, despit the price fluctuations that they'll all be bound to have...

I like where this is going... we could put all this into a data cube and analyze the data and possibly uncover fundamental pricing trends.

I like where this is going... we could put all this into a data cube and analyze the data and possibly uncover fundamental pricing trends.

My data cube is atop my shoulders. I can literally remember what the price is of my items as they are scanning because I shop specifically for bargains. Ask me the prices now - not so much.

I'm with Crunch and Dad. I go through all the weekly flyers and shop by meat prices. I really like the 'old meat' section at Kroger. laugh.gif Then, when at whichever store, I shop for what's on sale other than meat. I could care less what brand it is in most cases. I also buy bone in, skin on and the least processed items.

I mostly go to Disco or Fiesta on Dunlavy, but the Kroger on Buffalo is a real shopping adventure since they remodeled. I went into the Buffalo Market once, but just for a birthday cake. I've heard it's laid out weird. I receive the glossy flyer for that HEB and their prices are consistently higher.

My data cube is atop my shoulders. I can literally remember what the price is of my items as they are scanning because I shop specifically for bargains. Ask me the prices now - not so much.

I'm with Crunch and Dad. I go through all the weekly flyers and shop by meat prices. I really like the 'old meat' section at Kroger. laugh.gif Then, when at whichever store, I shop for what's on sale other than meat. I could care less what brand it is in most cases. I also buy bone in, skin on and the least processed items.

I mostly go to Disco or Fiesta on Dunlavy, but the Kroger on Buffalo is a real shopping adventure since they remodeled. I went into the Buffalo Market once, but just for a birthday cake. I've heard it's laid out weird. I receive the glossy flyer for that HEB and their prices are consistently higher.

Sounds good. I'll leave the prices of meat to you since I rarely eat meat. Especially red meat. I dont trust it anymore. Either way... what should the name of the website be?

:lol: I'm all about that 'old meat' as well. Piano Man Kroger usually has a very good selection.

I often buy and cook within a couple of hours, so I always shop the old meat first. They almost always have a good piece of sirloin for 3 or 4 bucks.

They also have a good day-old bakery section. Not as robust as old meat, but....

I'll stop now.

I live equidistant from DiscoKroger and the Dunlavy Fiesta. I usually go to the Fiesta, but i do find it annoying some of the products they dont carry, e.g. Rasberry jelly.. no jam... no preserves. They finally started carrying one homemade looking brand.. but it tastes like ass. What kinda grocery store doesnt carry Smuckers Rasberry Preserves?

I do generally feel the same, that Kroger will be more expensive, even with the kroger card.. but that isn't always true.

Hamburger meat.. kroger has better prices... about a $1 cheaper per lb.

I'm going to start going to Krogers a little more and paying attention to prices a little more... they're both so close.. figure it's worth the trouble to establish a secondary grocery list for cheaper items at Krogers since I have to go there anyways for some products.

:lol: Thanks for that! I'm still wiping the coffee I spewed off of the monitor. Of course that little statement begs the question.........

:lol: Thanks for that! I'm still wiping the coffee I spewed off of the monitor. Of course that little statement begs the question.........

Shooter McGavin: You're in big trouble though, pal. I eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast!

Happy Gilmore: [laughing] You eat pieces of shit for breakfast?

Shooter McGavin: [long pause] No!

Look.. it's nasty preserves dude. And its the only jam/jelly/preserve that even comes in raspberry. Fiesta=Selection Fail.

Fiesta Dunlavy weekly flyer -

I consider these prices good.

$.59# - Leg Quarters

$.77# - Drumsticks

$.97# - Sirloin Pork Chops

$2.99# - Tilapia Filets

$3.49# - Boneless NY Strip

$3.99# - Extra Large Skrimps!

Epicly WRONG.

This is what happens when you google "disco kroger" and grab the first story (third link) on the page. I guess he was too busy to notice all the references to Atlanta on the search results page, or even the url's name of BUCKHEAD!

:lol:

You are right.....I am wrong.

nevermind....wrong Kroger's.

Sounds good. I'll leave the prices of meat to you since I rarely eat meat. Especially red meat. I dont trust it anymore. Either way... what should the name of the website be?

Is this idea ever going to happen?

So you know, I volunteer myself to be the box wine, good IPA, frozen pizza and baby formula prices guy.

Archived