Changes in Texas history textbooks

editor

Suppose you were raised in rural India, taught that a different book and prophet were supreme. Would you still be the religion you are now? [Probably not] And doesn't that mean that you arrived at your religious decision because of conditional factors rather than a legitimate logical path?

owned

I could ask you the same thing, different scenario.

Although it was "conditional factors" at first, it later becomes a legitimate logical path. I still stand by my previous post, no matter what you say or how many +1s you get.

I could ask you the same thing, different scenario.

Although it was "conditional factors" at first, it later becomes a legitimate logical path. I still stand by my previous post, no matter what you say or how many +1s you get.

Not really. Even someone raised in a completely secular environment would be capable of choosing from an array of faiths if that is what he or she so chose. But, given an upbringing without God but with a solid understanding of science, it's unlikely many would revert to what couldn't be perceived as anything but silly hocus-pocus. On the other hand, swaying from religion to a secular world is as easy as reading a book or two that aren't the Bible or anything written by Glenn Beck. Let me put it this way, do you find the idea of Zeus and Aphrodite and Hera to be preposterous and no more than anachronistic mythologism? If so, what logic did you use to come to that conclusion? Then, apply that logic one step further, remove one more god and then you begin to understand what non-believers understand.

Not really. Even someone raised in a completely secular environment would be capable of choosing from an array of faiths if that is what he or she so chose. But, given an upbringing without God but with a solid understanding of science, it's unlikely many would revert to what couldn't be perceived as anything but silly hocus-pocus.

You bring up something interesting that I have always wondered about but never could find anyone to ask - is there anyone raised without religion that is now religious, and how did that come about?

Being someone raised without religion I could never imagine being religious but I am very curious about those who are..

I was raised Baptist and then decided it had no logical basis.

Baptists are the most seemingly "right-wing" of the Christian spectrum, I'll concede to that.

@all:

There's not much I can really say to you. I feel sorry for you...I really do. That's not in a condescending way, that's in a real way. I mean, I can't imagine a world where there is no greater purpose in life, no higher being. Tell me, what do you think is your purpose in being here, on Earth?

Just food for thought.

Baptists are the most seemingly "right-wing" of the Christian spectrum, I'll concede to that.

@all:

There's not much I can really say to you. I feel sorry for you...I really do. That's not in a condescending way, that's in a real way. I mean, I can't imagine a world where there is no greater purpose in life, no higher being. Tell me, what do you think is your purpose in being here, on Earth?

Just food for thought.

"To be the eyes and ears and conscience of the Creator of the Universe, you fool" -K. Vonnegut

Even if the creator isn't some sky ghost, and even if it doesn't exist at all, our mere existence gives us insight into the greater depths of what simply is. We may occupy only a tiny fraction of this place, but we also may be alone to witness it. Think about that for a bit. If we're the only intelligent life in the universe, a very real probability, we are in an incredibly unique position to be the shamen, scribes, moralists and ethicists for a body so vast as to be incomprehensible. And I don't know about you, but I find that mind-bogglingly cool.

And like you, I feel sorry for anyone who attaches purpose to something as intransitive as a belief or an ism. Like you, it's not intended as condescension, I just really wish everyone could feel the same awe I do when considering the universe beyond the limited sphere we call home. I imagine it's probably close to your feelings when you consider God, but imagine the same thing, the randomness of it all and the absolute calamity that is the universe, and it becomes even more amazing when you think, "You know, the fact it is all so random and improbable makes it that much more precious."

Hmm, I thought this was about history textbooks. Time to ignore.

It is. Sorta.

Unfortunately, the subject of textbook approval in this state has become synonymous with political grandstanding by those who seek to force their beliefs on those who just wish to learn. Invariably, the debate turns to who's pushing what, and there are a select few, often the loudest few, who insist no one has the right to learn history or science with accuracy because that accuracy offends their personal belief system. That loudest minority without fail will equate their mythology with science in order to lend their argument some legitimacy, and they'll become completely obstinate in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Then, certain people, like a number of HAIFers here, will make futile attempt after futile attempt to educate that loud, obstinate minority in an effort to find some middle ground, some value for education, something. But, it's usually to no avail as that loud minority's obstinancy knows no bounds. We're probably as effective as hamsters running on a wheel, but so long as there's a group of influential people who will attempt to turn our schools into a church or into a Republican party propaganda zone, there will be others using logic and reason to debate them. Unfortunately, you stepped into the middle of this annoying but necessary process.

While your personal favorite is also one of mine, I have a hard time believing a Catholic school is not going to teach things from a Catholic perspective and in accordance with Church teachings. Same for Baptist, Methodist, etc. schools.

The Catholic school I went to was very similar to the public schools I went to. The school specifically had the sciences taught by lay people. The only time we had clergy teaching was for theology class. Other than that, and Latin, it wasn't much different than a public school, except that it had a 99.9% graduation rate and 99% of its students were accepted to their first college choice.

A lot of people who have never been to a Catholic school make a lot of assumptions about what it's like based on things they heard, or saw satirized in a cartoon, that happened in the 1940's.

What the average HAIFer doesn't know about Catholicism could fill a cathedral.

Since this thread is way off topic and no one seems interested in discussing the root, it is now closed.

Archived