HISD Food Service Building At 2000 Lyons Ave.

Frank M

Here is an existing thread about the move:

http://www.houstonar...showtopic=16400

I am not sure if the Bemis pictures I posted are the right building, though, since street names have changed and such..

Pretty sure you are correct, looks like that is the same bldg. Sanborn maps show there was an extension added onto the original bldg. in 1939 (sanborn lists it as originally built 1913). The newer construction was to the south end of the bldg, same width as original bldg. Sanborns call it the Mutual Risk, but still was attached to the original Bemis bldg, see sanborn #323. looks like either Semmes St. had a rr track running on it, as well, in the early maps, or the rr tracks were where the parking lot is now seen, looks like the entrance leads into a warehouse when it crosses Conti. St. (See the googleearth picture on the other thread). Odin is now Lyons. Shows the park next to Bemis Co., to the west, & address for baggage co. is 2000 Conti.

I have always noticed that HISD bldg. when heading west down 1-10, passing thru downtown area. Nice to know the history.

Edited by NenaE

• The title was changed to HISD Food Service Building
  • The title was changed to HISD Food Service Building At 2000 Lyons Ave.