The Austonian

Urbannizer

I like it, but I'm not sure it fits in with Austin's vibe. Then again, it's better for the environment to stack people than to spread them out and plow under the prairie and build more roads, so maybe it is an Austin thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's several new photos of the Austonian as part of the skyline that I took in the last two days.

From 9/13/2009

View from Mopac Pedestrian Bridge

September38.jpg

Views from Zilker Park

September41.jpg

September49.jpg

September45.jpg

Views from Lou Neff Point

September48.jpg

September2009-24.jpg

From 09/14/2009

Views from I-35

September51.jpg

September52.jpg

View from the dog park

September57.jpg

Views from Joe's Crab Shack

September58.jpg

September2009-28.jpg

September2009-29.jpg

Great shot! Is this from the new ACC garage?

No, that was actually from up by the TMI Castle. (Texas Military Institute) shown in the photo below

September71.jpg

I was on the edge of the property between the right side of the castle and the telephone pole in the above photo. The photo of the castle was taken from ACC's new garage, though. Here's another photo I took from the castle showing the skyline with that foundation for a cancelled condo project years ago in the foreground.

September83.jpg

The old foundation now has a chain link fence around it. I had to get those shots through the holes in the fence.

These are views of the Austonian/Skyline from ACC's new garage:

September68.jpg

september70.jpg

Night view

September2009-38.jpg

Another good vantage point in that general area is from the 4th floor stairwell of some condos that sit on the north side of West 12th Street between Lamar Blvd. and Blanco Street. This is the building I'm referring to. The stairwell is on the left-hand side in the photo.

September75.jpg

These are some of the views from there:

September77.jpg

September78.jpg

september90.jpg

Panoramic View

September79.jpg

Dusk

September2009-31.jpg

Evening

September2009-35.jpg

Lofty buildings have always served to illustrate their citizens' aspirations, and the very tops [have always served] as beacons to drive the point home. This stylized design, brought to us by the Dial Corporation, daily reminds the austoned to open up their Right Guard brand underarm antiperspirant and remember that keeping Austin weird does not mean keeping Austin funky.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

http://www.bisnow.com/houston_commercial_real_estate_news_story.php?p=9019

The Austonian, the tallest residential building in the Western US at 683’ and 56 stories, is open.

I don't want to rain on Austin's parade and I think we've talked about this before, but I'm really just kind of surprised thate Austin would get something this tall.

I don't know Austin well, but I' m thinking that part of the reason Houston doesn't get a res building this tall is b/c there are so many more places we're able to build b/c of no zoning, that shorter ones are built, and since they don't have as many places to build tall (can someone verify that?) that they must concentrate it all in one place and therefore they must build very tall?

I don't want to rain on Austin's parade and I think we've talked about this before, but I'm really just kind of surprised thate Austin would get something this tall.

I don't know Austin well, but I' m thinking that part of the reason Houston doesn't get a res building this tall is b/c there are so many more places we're able to build b/c of no zoning, that shorter ones are built, and since they don't have as many places to build tall (can someone verify that?) that they must concentrate it all in one place and therefore they must build very tall?

It's not zoning or geography. There's plenty of inexpensive, flat, easily-accessible, unincorporated land to the east. And new single-family home prices there aren't crazy. That's the meat of why Houston isn't a big condo market.

Austin's urban geography has some limitations on development due to 'sight corridors', but that's not such a barrier to entry that it would justify an investment like this. Any other zoning issues can be overcome by the developer hiring political consultants...and they can frequently pull off a lucrative public subsidy for projects like these, while they're at it. That's part of Austin's secret is effectively-negotiable zoning and incentives. The other part was vibe--and yes, a City's vibe does matter in the capital markets, particularly with respect to dumb ideas like condominiums and residential highrises.

Here's some night shots from around town the past week or so of the Austonian at night with the changing light colors.

01. Red - from Congress Ave Bridge

NiteSkyline031.jpg

02. White - from Butler Park's Observation Hill

NiteSkyline048.jpg

03. Green - from the glitzy & sophisticated nightlife district of S. Lamar Blvd. :D

NiteSkyline053.jpg

04. Yellow? From S. Lamar

NiteSkyline050.jpg

05. Yellow? from S. Lamar

NiteSkyline051.jpg

06. Orange (I think) from Butler Park's Observation Hill

NightSkyline047.jpg

07. Orange (I think) from Butler Park's Observation Hill

NiteSkyline049.jpg

08. Orange (I think) from the 17th floor of the Hyatt

NiteSkyline035.jpg

09. Purple - from S. Lamar