As you all may know, I will be moving down to Houston soon--graduation is next week! So I still want ot get your takes on the Best of ___ for certain things.

Best Hamburger in town

Best Pizza in Town (Chicago style, New York style, any other style)

Best Chinese Food in town

Best Barbecue

Best Seafood

And any other tips and hints will be appreciated!

For Pizza - I like Star, Fuzzy's and Late Night Pie.

Barbecue - Goode Co., and Pappa Joes (only had it once but liked it)

Chinese - fairly inexpensive but good (no buffet) China Stix

Best Breakfast - BREAKFAST KLUB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - really good food, if you like soul food (or traditional southern style break..)

Best Hamburger - ? dont eat many of these at rest. but Lankford Grocery

Best Italian - I like Colina's not to much of a dent on the plastic (the one in Rice Village) and also right down the way there is another decent Italian place.

Best Seafood - Guido's in Galveston

Best Mexican - Any taqueria in the Eastwood neighborhood, El Teimpo, Nifas (original on Navigation blvd.), Little Pappasito's

Best Bar - (for beer) The Ginger Man - Houston's own!!! Good little Beer Garden out back, reminds me of sipping beer on a back street of Ulm, Germany! 60+taps

Best "Bar" - dont know never really go downtown to the trendy (expensive) places

Best Grocery Store - JMH in "downtown" West University Place

Best Salad - Sulivans!!!

hope those helped - I tend to eat $3-12 a plate - dont like real expensive places (well I do but cant really afford them), Im sure some more "well-to-do" members may have suggestions on other places.

Best Hamburger in town: Belaire Broiler Burger

Best Pizza in Town: Star Pizza off S. Shepherd

Best Coffee: Croissant Brioche in the Village (damn, damn, damn good cup of coffee)

Best Deli: Brown Bag Deli(s)

Best Soup: Brasil (also has free outdoor movie nights on thursdays)

Best Breakfast: Brasil (etouffee eggs, green eggs & ham) can't get over the awesome windows in that place and you should walk through the mixture gallery next door (same owner) to see how they have renovated.

Best Chinese Food, Best Barbecue, Best Seafood, Best Margarita?

5216 Bellaire Blvd

the inside has not changed in a very long time. really great malts, shakes, fries... guess i'll have to go soon. this is a 1950's mom & pop diner place, good fried things, gold metal decor on the walls -- a small town greasy spoon road trip feeling sort of place.

they are closed on sundays, which seems to be when i want to go.

bizjournal review:

http://www.houstonbizdir.com/bbb/

• 2 years later...
As you all may know, I will be moving down to Houston soon--graduation is next week! So I still want ot get your takes on the Best of ___ for certain things.

Best Hamburger in town

Best Pizza in Town (Chicago style, New York style, any other style)

Best Chinese Food in town

Best Barbecue

Best Seafood

And any other tips and hints will be appreciated!

Assuming you're still here, I am sure you've found out a lot of these already, but let's see ...

Best Malt or Shakes: Toss up between Coldstone Creamery and Marble Slab

Best French Fries: Pappas BBQ

Best Comfort Food: Luby's Mac and Cheese with Fried Fish (the square one)

Best Lunch Buffet: China Bear (I45N at Airtex)

Best Jamaican: Reggae Hut

Best Burritos: Chipotle

Best Kolaches: Kolache Factory

Best Breakfast: The Breakfast Klub

You're joking, right? A McDonald's-owned nationwide chain has the best burritos? :o Have you never been to Freebirds, or Mission Burritos?

Chipotle is okay in a pinch, but I have to admit that Freebirds is much better...and better to go to for eye candy. :)

You're joking, right? A McDonald's-owned nationwide chain has the best burritos? :o Have you never been to Freebirds, or Mission Burritos?

I have a deep dislike for chain restaurants, but Chipotle's food holds its own against both Freebird and Mission.

Best Pizza in Town - The pepperoni pizzette at the Collina's on Richmond (and only at that location)

Best Chinese Food in town - Kam's

Best Barbecue - Gabby's

Chipotle is okay in a pinch, but I have to admit that Freebirds is much better...and better to go to for eye candy. :)
I have tried to like Freebirds and just don't --been there on too many occasions to mention. I do not think their ingredients are on the same level as Chipotle and they are way more expensive.Just my 2 cents.
I've honestly never had Mission, but I really do like Chipotle better than Freebirds. Also, they are no longer owned by McDonalds.

Best Hamburger in town- Sams Deli. Kirkwood and Katy Feeder.

Best Milkshake-Sams also

Best Pizza in Town (Chicago style, New York style, any other style)- Palazzos, all locations.

Best Chinese Food in town-Used to be Hunan on Post Oak, but now who knows

Best Sushi-Sage 400

Best Barbecue-Goode Co. and Harris County BBQ

Best Seafood-McCormimicks.

Best French-Bistro Provence for the staff,atmosphere and amazing food. Authentic.

Best 5 Star- Mark's

Best Steak-Pappas Steakhouse

too many to list. Houston has some of the best dining in the south.

Best Burger - Christian's Tailgate on Washington @ I-10; runner-up: Lankford's Grocery

Best NY style pizza I've had: Napoli Flying Pizza on Beechnut; runner-up: Romano's on W. Gray

Best BBQ: William's Smokehouse in Acres Homes

Best Chinese: Best Americanized Chinese you'll ever have: Daniel Wong's Kitchen on Bissonnet in Bellaire. Most well known dishes are Road Kill Pork and Hermann Park Duck. Mr. Wong has a sense of humor. Pay no attention to the vet hospital next door.

Best Chinese, authentic: out of hundreds???? who can say.

Best Seafood: Top Water Grill in San Leon or Tampico on Airline.

Best Carniceria: Gerardo's on Patton

Best Gumbo, boudin: Burt's Meat Market on Lyon's

Best Kolaches: Original Kolache Shoppe on Telephone

Best Bagels: New York Bagel Shop on Hillcroft

Best Fried Chicken: Frenchy's on Scott; runner-up: Pollo Campero

Best Donuts: Christy's on W. Gray

Best Burger - Christian's Tailgate on Washington @ I-10; runner-up: Lankford's Grocery

Best Bagels: New York Bagel Shop on Hillcroft

Best Fried Chicken: Frenchy's on Scott; runner-up: Pollo Campero

1. Little place over on the east side. Can't think of the name, but it is jammed at lunch and they only have takeaway or outdoor seating. Someone help me out with the name on this one.

2. Bagels: Einstein.

3. Never had Pollo Campero, but have heard it's good. Still love Frenchy's.

1. Little place over on the east side. Can't think of the name, but it is jammed at lunch and they only have takeaway or outdoor seating. Someone help me out with the name on this one.

Well 'east side' is a little broad but I'm going to take a wild stab at this and suggest you're referring to Sparkle's Hamburger Spot at Leeland and Dowling, caddy-corner from Brother's Tacos?

I love old-timey hamburger stands and I only saw this one recently and wanted to check it out so I went today. OMG! I couldn't believe how long it was taking to get a burger, close to 30 mins, I'm sure. Then I saw the "patty" -- at least an inch thick, probably at least 3/4 #. All for only 3 bucks? There must be $2.50 worth of meat on there.

French fries were unremarkable but other items on the menu look inviting: chicken and waffles in the morning, grits, pork chop sandwich.

I picked up a to go menu and will call ahead next time.

I haven't been to either Christian's or Lankford's since early in the year because I just haven't had a craving for a big, honking burger, but there's definitely another dog in the hunt for 'my favorite burger' in Houston.

The back up is due at least in part to how long it takes to cook that "patty."

Well 'east side' is a little broad but I'm going to take a wild stab at this and suggest you're referring to Sparkle's Hamburger Spot at Leeland and Dowling, caddy-corner from Brother's Tacos?

I love old-timey hamburger stands and I only saw this one recently and wanted to check it out so I went today. OMG! I couldn't believe how long it was taking to get a burger, close to 30 mins, I'm sure. Then I saw the "patty" -- at least an inch thick, probably at least 3/4 #. All for only 3 bucks? There must be $2.50 worth of meat on there.

French fries were unremarkable but other items on the menu look inviting: chicken and waffles in the morning, grits, pork chop sandwich.

I picked up a to go menu and will call ahead next time.

I haven't been to either Christian's or Lankford's since early in the year because I just haven't had a craving for a big, honking burger, but there's definitely another dog in the hunt for 'my favorite burger' in Houston.

The back up is due at least in part to how long it takes to cook that "patty."

No ... that's not it. Champs maybe?

Best Hamburger in town- Farrago's

Best Milkshake- 59 Diner

Best Pizza in Town (Chicago style, New York style, any other style)- No truly outstanding pizza in Houston

Best Chinese Food in town- Daniel Wong's Kitchen

Best Sushi- Uptown Sushi

Best Barbecue- Thelma's

Best Seafood- Fried Shrimp at Cap'n Benny's

Best French- Bistro Provence

Best 5 Star- Tony's

Best Steak- Akaushi at Tony's. But it ain't cheap.

not corny at all. A good fry cook is what makes the difference.

Speaking of Mexican seafood places, I noticed the gi-normous Tampico on 45 N is now open.

An outpost of the same one in the Heights?

I've heard that Mambo's and several of the other "Mexican seafood places" are really not Hispanic-owned, but instead are owned by Asians.

Not that I care, just thought I'd put that out there if anyone knew for sure.

I goto eat, not check the owners' ethnicities.

Best Hamburger in town- There are many - Becks Prime is tasty

Best Pizza in Town- Star Pizza

Best Barbecue- BBQ is complicated. I like Lyndons sauce and sausage, Pappas, Goode. Nonmachers makes great sliced beef sandwiches. And.... don't know the name but out on 290 past Waller there is a Shell gas station that has awesome BBQ!!!!!

Best Seafood- Used to be a lot of places - searching for a new one. I do like Ragin Cajun.

Best Steak - Taste of TX

Best Mexican - Lupe Tortillas @ Hwy 6

• 5 weeks later...

Best Coffee drinks: Empire (Montrose)

Best lemon cake: Empire (Montrose) :wub:

Best Italian: Macaroni Grill (Galleria)

Best Breakfast: The Breakfast Klub (It's worth standing in line)

Best Mexican: Chuy's. (it USED to be Adobe, but I've since changed my mind)

Best Margarita: Ninfa's tied with Adobe

Prettiest Patio: Babba Yega's (Montrose)

Best cheap Chinese: General Joe's Chopsticks

Best healthy(ish): The Hobbit