Glenbrook Valley Real Estate & Developments

rps324

I think that house is very suitable for a young couple first time purchase that wants to put in 2-3 years of hard work and some money and end up with a really unique home. Then when the market allows move on up to the next.

I have been there and done that. Its too bad that house was not built with that side load driveway as in the drawings. That kitchen is way cool, and would be very easy to replicate new parts from old that can't be repaired. Plus the fact simple materials were used originally. We had great satisfaction on a couple of our places in Long Beach in restoring all the original Honduran Mahogany wood used throughout.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thoughts on/experience with local schools - no clue, but I think many in the area send their kids to private schools

the public schools in the area have gone downhill over the yrs. quite a few went to mt carmel high school but that closed as well. a replacement will be opening next school yr but you have to qualify by not making too much money.

i do want to add - is there anything comparable to whole foods/organic food, et cetera in this area?

nope.

Glad to hear you are considering Glenbrook Valley. Choosing where you live is a matter of sensibility, and naturally, a decision one considers carefully. You've gotten lots of opinions, valid and good ones. Let me tell you my experience.

We moved to Houston from out of state, and I had a terrible time coming to understand the city, its neighborhoods, etc. Early on, we saw Glenbrook Valley as a possibility, and over the next year, we kept cycling back to it.

Ultimately, we choose Glenbrook Valley for two reasons: cool houses and an engaged community. While the house we bought is not architecturally significant, it has a wonderful feel, and we enjoy it. The GBV community, though, is fabulous. Yes, there are quite a few "pioneers," but there are also long-term residents, many seniors, who add stability and depth to the neighborhood.

I don't think I would have wanted to be anywhere else throughout the hurricane. I'm especially grateful to our neighbors across the street.

Schools are another matter, and I appreciate that kind of angst. When our kids were in school, we lived in a place that had unsatisfactory public schools. We opted to go the private school route. It was expensive and often inconvenient (until they got their driver's licenses), but as adults, I think they'd both say it was worth it to them. They had the benefit of two communities and developed a breadth and depth of appreciation for diversity they might not have had otherwise.

You have lots to think about. Good luck.

I have been living in GV for 3 years now and I really like it. Will you be working "in town"? Since I'm in town for work every day, I frequently shop for groceries and stop off for drinks while I'm in. The grocery stores in our area are not too good, but you can get most things you want. It will be awhile before there is a Whole Foods out there!

There are no fine restaurants in our area. However there are some good places nearby for Mexican food, Chinese food, diner food, seafood and pizza. I haven't seen any normal bars that I would recommend, but if you like gritty dive bars and ice house type places there is no shortage of those! There is a Pizza restaurant, Spanky's, at Telephone and The South loop that seems to be a popular neighborhood place to stop for a beer.

There are jogging/biking paths being put in right now along Sims bayou, but I haven't heard if they will be lit at night. I would think so. There is a park/pool/golf course complex just across I-45 where you could safely run I'm sure.

It really is only about 10-12 mins to downtown proper with normal traffic via I-45. Driving in or out at peak traffic times will be longer.

I don't know about the schools. I have heard the quality is low. If you can afford to send your child to a private school in town, that is what I would do. If you can't, I would consider a different area or be aggressive about getting your child in to the magnet school program.

I think the neighborhood has amazing potential. It was a very nice neighborhood from the beginning. The majority of the houses are good quality custom houses. The neighborhood is full of good (and sometimes still relatively untouched) examples of ranch and modern design houses at very fair prices. This post WW2 architecture is just now coming in to vogue again and I think the appreciation for these homes is going to continue. The civic club in GV is very active and the deed restrictions are enforced. A neighborhood committee is pursuing a historic designation for a section of the neighborhood. There is also a core group of residents that are starting to come together to do things socially on a regular basis and new residents are always welcome!

If you think of other specific questions keep them coming!

Considering a house in Glenbrook and wondering about some things that I take for granted in my current location. Would love to hear from folks who know the area about things like:

• Decent, well-lit running trail? Someplace safe/populated if running alone.
  • Interesting restaurants or cafes in the area.
  • Time to commute to downtown/Best route.
  • Someplace good to grab a beer.
  • Thoughts on/experience with local schools.

Would also be interested to hear any thoughts people might have about the area's future. I know that light rail is being planned along the SE corridor and that there are a couple of East End coalitions trying to push redevelopment and beautification out that way.

I'm a realist (I know every area has their own issues) and am definitely not looking for a cookie cutter neighborhood. But I really have no experience with this side of town at all. Any feedback would be apprecoated.

I was reading something about the Sims Bayou restoration the other day but had a hard time finding out what the status of the project was. Looks like it will be a good option when it's complete.

I actually tried talking to the golf course about using the paths and the guy on the phone sounded like he thought I was out of my ever-loving mind to even ask about running over there.

I certainly have never minded a gritty bar. Back in the good ole days before Midtown/Downtown got all fancy we used to go grab beers at the Lone Star Saloon. ;)

I have been living in GV for 3 years now and I really like it. Will you be working "in town"? Since I'm in town for work every day, I frequently shop for groceries and stop off for drinks while I'm in. The grocery stores in our area are not too good, but you can get most things you want. It will be awhile before there is a Whole Foods out there!

There are no fine restaurants in our area. However there are some good places nearby for Mexican food, Chinese food, diner food, seafood and pizza. I haven't seen any normal bars that I would recommend, but if you like gritty dive bars and ice house type places there is no shortage of those! There is a Pizza restaurant, Spanky's, at Telephone and The South loop that seems to be a popular neighborhood place to stop for a beer.

There are jogging/biking paths being put in right now along Sims bayou, but I haven't heard if they will be lit at night. I would think so. There is a park/pool/golf course complex just across I-45 where you could safely run I'm sure.

It really is only about 10-12 mins to downtown proper with normal traffic via I-45. Driving in or out at peak traffic times will be longer.

I don't know about the schools. I have heard the quality is low. If you can afford to send your child to a private school in town, that is what I would do. If you can't, I would consider a different area or be aggressive about getting your child in to the magnet school program.

I think the neighborhood has amazing potential. It was a very nice neighborhood from the beginning. The majority of the houses are good quality custom houses. The neighborhood is full of good (and sometimes still relatively untouched) examples of ranch and modern design houses at very fair prices. This post WW2 architecture is just now coming in to vogue again and I think the appreciation for these homes is going to continue. The civic club in GV is very active and the deed restrictions are enforced. A neighborhood committee is pursuing a historic designation for a section of the neighborhood. There is also a core group of residents that are starting to come together to do things socially on a regular basis and new residents are always welcome!

If you think of other specific questions keep them coming!

There is a Whole Foods in Clear Lake's future, and that's not too far from where you live.

I was depressed to realize that I couldn't afford a three-bedroom house zoned to a high-achieving school. But Meadowcreek Village, a few miles from Glenbrook Valley, has been good to us since we moved in December.

Both my kids are in magnet schools. I like what I've seen of Carnegie, a great science magnet not terribly far from Glenbrook. But I'm still looking for a comparable middle school. (Suggestions, anyone?)

As for restaurants...

Las Hamacas: A Honduran restaurant at the Monroe exit. Plantains for breakfast! (Alison Cook reviewed it for the Chronicle a few months ago.)

Dot Coffee Shop: At I-45 and 610, you can see Houston's best surviving example of Googie architecture -- a style so retro-goofy that I'd like the place even if the food were terrible. But in fact, the food is decent, and often more than decent. (It was the Pappas dynasty's first restaurant, and the family still runs it.) I especially like the homey plate lunches with things like meatloaf and three vegetables. Great green beans, cabbage and fries. Avoid desserts. And be warned: Portions are enormous. Those dinner plates easily feed two people.

888: Chinese food in the Gulfgate Mall area (tucked just behind Dot Coffee Shop). Less Americanized than most Chinese restaurants. (I think Alison Cook reviewed that one, too.)

Taqueria Jalisco, Monroe/Winkler/Richey Rd near Forest Oaks: A great taqueria -- the kind that makes its own tortillas while you watch. Very cheap -- I can make lunch off a $2.50 soup, but often add a $1.50 taco. And on the bleak, un-electric Monday after Hurricane Ike, the place was open for breakfast, fresh-squeezed orange juice and all. Knowing a little Spanish helps ("huevos rancheros, por favor"), but isn't necessary.

Organic groceries are hard to find. The HEB at Gulfgate stocks some organic produce -- but for really good bread, or esoterica like Brown Cow yogurts, you have to schlep into town.

Mi Tienda, HEB's prototype store for serving Hispanic immigrants, doesn't carry anything organic. But for foodies, it's fabulous. As far as I know, it's the only place in Houston where you can buy tortillas made with fresh masa -- a six-inch-tall stack, still warm in their plastic bag, for $2. Terrific ceviche. Great cremas and cheeses. And a juice bar, where you can order "jugo vegetales." Right in front of your eyes, the juice ladies will push hunks of fresh pineapple, celery, carrots, beets and more through the juicer. I feel healthy just thinking about it.

Thats the spirit. I like gritty bars too, but I just wanted you to know. Yeah the Lone Star was kind of cool...probably has valet parkers now!

There are a few neat surprises out there that you might not know. There is a small book that was just published on Telephone Road that gives some history of the Southeast side. You should pick up a copy. Also, the park I mentioned actaully has an olympic sized pool that is not too crowded in the evenings and its free. There is a small bird sanctuary over on the bayou in the old Park Place section. And, the old Municipal Airport tower is now a museum over at Hobby. The tower was designed by architect Joseph Finger who designed City Hall, Lawndale Art center etc. Very moderne and very cool. I have been told that after the restoration of the tower is complete, there is going to be a restaurant in there too.

I don't know much about the bayou restoration except that there is money in place for the jogging/biking paths.

I was reading something about the Sims Bayou restoration the other day but had a hard time finding out what the status of the project was. Looks like it will be a good option when it's complete.

I actually tried talking to the golf course about using the paths and the guy on the phone sounded like he thought I was out of my ever-loving mind to even ask about running over there.

I certainly have never minded a gritty bar. Back in the good ole days before Midtown/Downtown got all fancy we used to go grab beers at the Lone Star Saloon. ;)

The concrete path is already done on Sims. Just don't know when the rest of it will be done like benches and lighting. Hurricane probably set it back like everything else. But I still prefer the soft running track at Memorial to the concrete.

There is a bar on Airport called Cockpit. Used to be pretty cool dive bar back in the day. Pilots and crew used to hang out there too. But I haven't been in years. Like I said, I think about going out for a drink after work and end up just going to a neighbor's house instead. It's been open for over 20 years that I know of.

Holy crow! I just read up on Mi Tienda. I don't know how I didn't know about this place. Definitely going to check it out whether we move to GBV or not.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback. It really helps in terms of getting a feel for the hood.

A short regular trek over to Mi Tienda is worthwhile. Its a neat cultural experience and fun shopping. I think you can actually pay with Pesos! I got really good prices on produce the last time I was there...like 3 perfect small avacados for $1. The bakery goods and hot food look really good too but I haven't tried those yet. While you are in Pasadena, if you like to shop for vintage clothing, there are three or four huge thrift stores within a couple minutes of Mi Tienda. Hard core vintage fashion and mid century modern dealers/collectors have been hitting Pasadena thrift stores for years, but they still aren't as pricey and picked over as the ones closer in to town. You could actually make a day of shopping the thrift stores then hitting Mi Tienda for a late lunch and grocery shopping.

Holy crow! I just read up on Mi Tienda. I don't know how I didn't know about this place. Definitely going to check it out whether we move to GBV or not.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback. It really helps in terms of getting a feel for the hood.

i want to hear more about glenbrook too. i'm about to become a new homeowner (hopefully me and the SO will close on the 7510 Cayton property at the end of October/first week of Nov) and I know nothing about this area as well...

i do want to add - is there anything comparable to whole foods/organic food, et cetera in this area?

thnx. :)

[/quo

Welcome to the neighborhood AJM ! I hope you'll like it as much as I do. There is a very nice signature Kroger on South BW8 and Gulf Freeway. It's about a 5-10 minute drive on the freeway. They should have anything you need. While you're there, killl 2 birds with one stone and hit 2 Brothers Pasta for lunch or dinner. Great little mom and pop Italian !

[/quo

Welcome to the neighborhood AJM ! I hope you'll like it as much as I do. There is a very nice signature Kroger on South BW8 and Gulf Freeway. It's about a 5-10 minute drive on the freeway. They should have anything you need. While you're there, killl 2 birds with one stone and hit 2 Brothers Pasta for lunch or dinner. Great little mom and pop Italian !

oh man, there's nothing better than mom & pop italian. thanks for the head's up on the kroger - will have to check it out. :)

We actually did a test commute last night from downtown to GBV and then decided to check out the Mi Tienda. What a cool place! I particularly liked the bulk chorizo that had been shaped to look like the head of a pig. Then we stuffed ourselves on ceviche and some sort of Salvadoran cake.

• 1 month later...

I lived in Glenbrook Valley on Dover Street from 3rd to 6th grade in the early 70's. I loved the house. It was a modern custom built (not by my folks) and had a front courtyard with big plants. There was this really cool print wallpaper in the bathrooms and the entry hall had a closet door with butterflies inlaid in the see-thru panels. Part of that time, I walked home from school across a busy street and sometimes stopped at a 7-11 on the way. I played outside until way past dark. (I guess I'm describing what childhood was like for a lot of us city kids back before so much crime and when there were only a few TV channels/no computers) We did get broken into once and I think that's when my dad had burglar bars and a gate put on the courtyard. I'd love to drive by sometime and see what its like there now.

• 4 weeks later...

This is not a mod home, but within this last year I have driven by it, in Glenbrook, and appreciated it. It's more English tudor style. Those diamod shaped, stained glass windows always intrigued me. This home always seemed (to me) to belong on the other side of Glenbrook, North of Bellfort, by the bayou. Seems out of place where it sits.

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y

There are many of those diamond beveled windows in front picture windows (white, not stained glass) of homes in Glenbrook. Believe some can be seen even on Bellfort.

This is not a mod home, but within this last year I have driven by it, in Glenbrook, and appreciated it. It's more English tudor style. Those diamod shaped, stained glass windows always intrigued me. This home always seemed (to me) to belong on the other side of Glenbrook, North of Bellfort, by the bayou. Seems out of place where it sits.

There are many of those diamond beveled windows in front picture windows (white, not stained glass) of homes in Glenbrook. Believe some can be seen even on Bellfort.

That's a pretty amazing house. So much space.

Garage conversion. Bad. Mercury vapor light. Says a lot about the neighborhood.

What does it say, they like a game room?

3,168 square feet and you need to convert a garage into a game room? You have a "gymnasium sized" 26x24 bedroom, with 4 beds in it... and you need to convert a garage into a game room? Not enough lighting, so let's add a mercury vapor light, right at the gable on the front of house? There's only about 20 houses in Glenbrook section ONE that are worth saving; this is not one of them.

3,168 square feet and you need to convert a garage into a game room? You have a "gymnasium sized" 26x24 bedroom, with 4 beds in it... and you need to convert a garage into a game room? Not enough lighting, so let's add a mercury vapor light, right at the gable on the front of house? There's only about 20 houses in Glenbrook section ONE that are worth saving; this is not one of them.

First, let me say I personally am not generally a fan of Mercury vapor lights or garage conversions. Mercury Vapor lights seem to fall in to a category with vinyl siding and "storm" doors. Things I personally don't care for aesthetically, but older people just seem to love. Those type of lights exist all over town and are often times installed by older homeowners who are more interested in functionality than anything. If a buyer finds it objectionable, they could certainly remove it easy enough. As for the garage conversion, the original garage doors remained in place so as not to affect the exterior appearance. Again, if a buyer found it objectionable it would be extremely easy to convert back to a garage with minimal effort.

Now that we have addressed that, as for "it saying a lot about the neighborhood." I am interpreting that negative comment to mean that you are implying the owner's choice of exterior lighting, combined with the garage conversion, is reflective of them being lower class or something. I'm sorry you feel so well qualified to make those kind of assumptions, as well as being qualified to pass judgement about whether or not the current (original) owners of this house needed the additional game room space, however, since they raised 5 children in that house I guess they felt they needed it. So sorry that doesn't meet your approval.

The owners, the Patronellas, are a well known and well respected family. The children raised in that house have gone on to become accomplished professionals (Attorneys, a plastic surgeon, a successful commercial Broker with something like 48 rental properties around Eastwood). I seriously doubt you are in a position that would even begin to qualify you to look down your nose at the Patronellas, or anyone else for that matter, over one exterior light.

The fact that you would even try speaks volumes about you.

Thank you for your opinion.

ooouuuuu....sorry, didn't mean to start something here. Just wanted to share a picture of a nicely built house with you all. I truthfully didn't even catch the phrase about the gameroom. I was admiring the craftmanship that was put into the details of this house. Anyone who has an eye for architecture (you are usually born with it, IMO), can hopefully appreciate that.

Nice to see you again, rps324, keep up the good work promoting Glenbrook Valley.

Glenbrook is a very rare development, some of the homes are built on terrain that is not found much in this city, sloping, hilly land next to the bayou, with old trees (Idylwood only comes to mind). I admire it as much for this reason as for the high quality custom homes that sit on the land. IMO, every inch of it is worth saving.

My Glenbrook Valley house was built in 1955. In 1960, the original owner added a gameroom over the garage which is now called "The Kit Kat Lounge". It still contains the original furnishings. After the 2nd owner's (Mrs. Peggy Nelson) husband died in 1974, Mrs. Nelson added a vapor light to the front and back of the house. I guess with these tragic irreparable additions that have happened over the last 48 years, I need to get the house demolished. Oh...wait, it could be one of the 20 in Section 1 that the previous poster has deemed "worth saving".

Could you please list the 20 worth saving? I would like to know if my house (and its 9 mercury vapor lights) made the list. :lol:

Could you please list the 20 worth saving? I would like to know if my house (and its 9 mercury vapor lights) made the list. :lol:

Mine might make the list since I took down the vapor lights. Although I think I'm in section 5 not sure if we're savable at all or not. Can't wait for more expert advice.

First, let me say I personally am not generally a fan of Mercury vapor lights or garage conversions. Mercury Vapor lights seem to fall in to a category with vinyl siding and "storm" doors. Things I personally don't care for aesthetically, but older people just seem to love. Those type of lights exist all over town and are often times installed by older homeowners who are more interested in functionality than anything. If a buyer finds it objectionable, they could certainly remove it easy enough. As for the garage conversion, the original garage doors remained in place so as not to affect the exterior appearance. Again, if a buyer found it objectionable it would be extremely easy to convert back to a garage with minimal effort.

Now that we have addressed that, as for "it saying a lot about the neighborhood." I am interpreting that negative comment to mean that you are implying the owner's choice of exterior lighting, combined with the garage conversion, is reflective of them being lower class or something. I'm sorry you feel so well qualified to make those kind of assumptions, as well as being qualified to pass judgement about whether or not the current (original) owners of this house needed the additional game room space, however, since they raised 5 children in that house I guess they felt they needed it. So sorry that doesn't meet your approval.

The owners, the Patronellas, are a well known and well respected family. The children raised in that house have gone on to become accomplished professionals (Attorneys, a plastic surgeon, a successful commercial Broker with something like 48 rental properties around Eastwood). I seriously doubt you are in a position that would even begin to qualify you to look down your nose at the Patronellas, or anyone else for that matter, over one exterior light.

The fact that you would even try speaks volumes about you.

Thank you for your opinion.

Just because you are an attorney, a plastic surgeon, an accomplished rocket scientist (like myself), a slum lord (like the commercial banker you reference... or, now even me!)... and have an affinity for living in your garage or adorning your house with excessively high output lighting doesn't necessarily mean you're low class... but, perhaps no taste.

Just because you are educated, doesn't mean you have taste. And, coming from a family of up to 5 myself... and using the occasional tacky roll-away ping pong table in the garage... we never resorted to living in that space, even with less square footage. I might cut some slack to the residents of Oak Forrest and Garden Oaks... because those homes are small with one car garages... My favorite garage conversion in those parts is the one where the garage door was replaced with block glass. And they kept the car port. We should put that home on the historic register... but when you have over 3K+ square feet?

Beyond the taste issue, which is subjective... vapor lights and burglar bars typically indicate a criminal element is pervasive in the neighborhood, and as such, stay clear.

Again we see that age-old aesthetic question: who defines "good" taste? Clearly, we who live in GBV MUST recognize that good taste is determined by accomplished rocket scientists, not by people who are living respectfully in a thriving community.

I echo rps324.

Archived