My Comments On Jeff Van Gundy

As I'm sure most of you are aware of, Rockets Coach Jeff Van Gundy has been fined $100,000 for his allegations that Yao Ming might not have been offiated fairly in the playoff series against the Dallas Mavericks, and possibly his size or kindness may be to blame. Commissioner David Stern believes that due to Van Gundy's comments, it is wise to fine him harder than any coach ever has been fined in the history of the NBA.

According to the Houston Chronicle: http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3167108

Yao Ming has offered to pay half of the fine for his coach. Even Mattress Mac is offering to pay the full fine for Van Gundy. And if the league has an issue with Mac paying the fine, he'll ask Van Gundy to make an appearance at Gallery Furniture and will pay him $100,000 for it.

Some of the things Stern has said he will or is considering doing to Van Gundy include:

A larger fine

Possible Suspensions

An extensive investigation to the allegations to find Van Gundy's source

Being BANNED from the NBA

just to name a few

Van Gundy's standing up for his employees are as bad an action in the NBA as running into the stands and hitting an innocent fan, according to what Stern suggests he may try do to Van Gundy. As bad as kicking a cameraman in the nuts. As bad as getting into a fight and injuring another player through violence. Worse than profanity on a live nationally televised interview. If Stern had his way and Van Gundy is indeed banned from the NBA, that would mean that standing up for your employees is the absolute worst thing you could possibly do in the NBA. I don't think Ron Artest, Vernon Maxwell, or Dennis Rodman were ever banned from the NBA. In fact, I' never heard of it.

Being here in South Korea, it's amazing how much admiration has been shown by international media to the city of Houston because of Van Gundy, Jim McGinvale, Yao Ming, Larry Dieker's Chronicle comments, and the thousands of Rockets fans and Houstonians that all have stood up for what they think looks fishy. It's made headlines all over the world and all over international news stations that Van Gundy's comments have the support of a good amount of ya.

I'm EXTREMELY proud to be a Houstonian, I'm proud of the city of Houston, and I'm proud to have the honor and privilage of having all of you in HoustonArchitecture as neighbors of me and my family. And the way our people have stuck up for Van Gundy is one prime example why.

Now that I've said a little, now's the chance for all my fellow PartyAnimals (you) to say what you think of the situation.....

This really is ridiculous...u wouldnt even get this harsh of a penalty for using steroids in baseball...If stern goes through with banning or fining Van Gundy that much, it will proove how big of a douche i have always believed him to be...with that being said GO ROCKETS CLUTCH CITY ALL THE WAY!!

I don't mean to sound like a know it all but I noticed this almost from the start of the series.

Maybe it's me but i remember in 95 how bad Hakeem got pounded by Shaq and all they would do was call traveling violations. No fouls. At the time it was painfully obvious that the refs were BS'ing those calls. Even at that Hakeem still kicked shaqs butt.

I don't mean to sound like a know it all but I noticed this almost from the start of the series.

Maybe it's me but i remember in 95 how bad Hakeem got pounded by Shaq and all they would do was call traveling violations. No fouls. At the time it was painfully obvious that the refs were BS'ing those calls. Even at that Hakeem still kicked shaqs butt.

Respect to Gary for this valid point: Does the league realize that Jeff Van Gundy and Yao Ming have made this same arguement both publicly and privately to the league since the beginning of the season? Hell, they said they even sent videotape of their miscalculated officiating to the league repeatedly. It's nothing new

Respect to Gary for this valid point: Does the league realize that Jeff Van Gundy and Yao Ming have made this same arguement both publicly and privately to the league since the beginning of the season? Hell, they said they even sent videotape of their miscalculated officiating to the league repeatedly. It's nothing new

I think it's reprehensible in today's climate, in any climate, to call someone down for essentially "whistleblowing". I have not heard one word out of that farktard's mouth about actually being alarmed or "extremely disturbed" to hear that something like this would be happening. He looks like a fat cat mob boss up there smiling and reeling off shite like "We hear this all of the time". Well, if you do, maybe that's a farking clue!

I think it's reprehensible in today's climate, in any climate, to call someone down for essentially "whistleblowing". I have not heard one word out of that farktard's mouth about actually being alarmed or "extremely disturbed" to hear that something like this would be happening. He looks like a fat cat mob boss up there smiling and reeling off shite like "We hear this all of the time". Well, if you do, maybe that's a farking clue!

:lol: DDAAMMMNN!! I wonder if David Stern's even looked at any of the fouls that Van Gundy's refering to in order to see if maybe, just maybe, Van Gundy was telling the truth. It seems to me that we have an entire city of eyewitnesses

It's not a stretch to say that Stern has totally gone off the deep end on this one, however, complaints from teams claiming that their star player is not being officiated correctly are no doubt very common in the NBA and certainly fans of every NBA franchise out there feel as if their team gets treated unfairly. In some instances the complaints are probably warranted and in others not so much. I find it hard to believe that Yao Ming has been singled out for abuse and if so I would like to know why considering he's the darling of the NBA, garnering the most All Star votes of any player ever.

It's not a stretch to say that Stern has totally gone off the deep end on this one, however, complaints from teams claiming that their star player is not being officiated correctly are no doubt very common in the NBA and certainly fans of every NBA franchise out there feel as if their team gets treated unfairly. In some instances the complaints are probably warranted and in others not so much. I find it hard to believe that Yao Ming has been singled out for abuse and if so I would like to know why considering he's the darling of the NBA, garnering the most All Star votes of any player ever.

Here's something David Stern and NBA officials investigating this are failing to realize: Jeff Van Gundy is a dude that never speaks of players on other teams. He can only speak for his team. He has two big men on his team; Yao Ming and Dikembe Mutumbo. He watches both of them like a hawk when they're on the court.

That being said, he WILL make statements talking about how YAO MING is being treated unfairly, and not ALL BIG MEN in the league are being treated unfairly. I think it's a safe guess to believe that Van Gundy hasn't even tried to compare Yao Ming's foul calls to other big men like Erick Dampier or Shaquille O Neal. I personally think it's not a Yao Ming issue, but there is definately a difference in calls by way of size of players, and for that reason, I think Van Gundy is absolutely right for bringing the subject up yet AGAIN.

Van Gundy can only speak for his team. David Stern is taking Van Gundy's comments completely out of context, and I REALLY want to believe that Stern knows EXACTLY what Van Gundy's talking about.

Here's something David Stern and NBA officials investigating this are failing to realize: Jeff Van Gundy is a dude that never speaks of players on other teams. He can only speak for his team. He has two big men on his team; Yao Ming and Dikembe Mutumbo. He watches both of them like a hawk when they're on the court.

That being said, he WILL make statements talking about how YAO MING is being treated unfairly, and not ALL BIG MEN in the league are being treated unfairly. I think it's a safe guess to believe that Van Gundy hasn't even tried to compare Yao Ming's foul calls to other big men like Erick Dampier or Shaquille O Neal.  I personally think it's not a Yao Ming issue, but there is definately a difference in calls by way of size of players, and for that reason, I think Van Gundy is absolutely right for bringing the subject up yet AGAIN.

Van Gundy can only speak for his team. David Stern is taking Van Gundy's comments completely out of context, and I REALLY want to believe that Stern knows EXACTLY what Van Gundy's talking about.

I agree 100%

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Stern knows damn well what Van Gundy is talking about.

Case in point: For years i have watched the officials give Shaq a free ride while he plays like a defensive tackle for the Texans.

Anyone who doesn't see this problem is sticking there head in the sand.

I agree 100%

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Stern knows damn well what Van Gundy is talking about.

Case in point: For years i have watched the officials give Shaq a free ride while he plays like a defensive tackle for the Texans.

Anyone who doesn't see this problem is sticking there head in the sand.

Another comment. I wonder if David Stern would have treated Van Gundy differently if he coached the Lakers or Knicks....

I love how the city has rallied around him. I hope the fans show up with signs and chants that show our support for the coach and the team. David Stern needs to hear from us (the customer base) on how we feel about that level of punishment.

That being said, I hope it doesn't overshadow the fact that the Rockets really really really need to win tonight.

I had a dream last night that the Rockets lost game 6. But then I also had a dream that two strange men decapitated a zebra in my front yard. I can't see the latter coming true. Hopefully the other won't either.

I had a jacked up dream, too. The Rockets ended up winning the NBA Finals, and David Stern was forced to come to Houston to present the trophy....to Les Alexander and Jeff Van Gundy. Worse yet, Stern lied to the whole world in the speech and talked about how great a coach he thought Jeff Van Gundy was....

I had a jacked up dream, too. The Rockets ended up winning the NBA Finals, and David Stern was forced to come to Houston to present the trophy....to Les Alexander and Jeff Van Gundy. Worse yet, Stern lied to the whole world in the speech and talked about how great a coach he thought Jeff Van Gundy was....

Now THAT would be fricking awesome! In fact, that should be incentive enough for the Rockets to go and win 2 more, as well as whatever other series they go to! GO ROCKETS! Get Dallas!

you know what would be an interesting game? if the dallas mavericks played against the houston oilers for the world cup in brazil, on ICE! cant wait till then... or mohammad ali played against rocky at the superbowl.

DJ Fariza out!

ps, props to my homie DJ V LAWRENCE B)

you know what would be an interesting game? if the dallas mavericks played against the houston oilers for the world cup in brazil, on ICE!  cant wait till then... or mohammad ali played against rocky at the superbowl. 

DJ Fariza out!

ps, props to my homie DJ V LAWRENCE B)

RESPECT TO DJ FARIZA!! How about Game 7 Rockets vs. Mavericks in San Antonio?!?! GO ROCKETS!!!