Are you a Citizen?

ricco67

Ugh, Americans are also garbage. US citizens cannot re-enter the United States without a passport...the exact same rule as Canada.

What are you talking about? I wasn't re-entering Canada, I was trying to visit. Have you seen the other posters' posts saying they did not have to show ID? And besides, this was before they changed the rule about passports.

Anyway, I wouldn't have cared so much if they hadn't made me sit there for well over an hour for no reason. I was only kidding when I dissed Canadians -- in fact I find them to be extremely nice, when they want something :)

Editor wins a cookie. Section 38.02 of the Texas Penal Code requires those who have been lawfully arrested or detained to give their name, address and date of birth if asked. If you are not under arrest or detention, you do not have to give it up.

Not correct. The penal code section referenced requires said information to be given only by those lawfully arrested. Those that are merely detained or are witnesses are not required to give any information. If a person is lawfully detained or is a witness and CHOOSES to respond to a request for information, true information must be provided or an offense occurs.

Not correct. The penal code section referenced requires said information to be given only by those lawfully arrested. Those that are merely detained or are witnesses are not required to give any information. If a person is lawfully detained or is a witness and CHOOSES to respond to a request for information, true information must be provided or an offense occurs.

Yep, that's right. I made a typo.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the piece all of those folks who want police to arrest illegals always ignore. There is no requirement under Texas law to carry an ID except when operating a motor vehicle on the streets. If you are arrested, you have to give your name, but otherwise, you don't have to answer. The police can ask if you are a citizen, you can decline to answer. The police can ask if you are illegal, and you can decline to answer. Until such time as we all carry a national ID, there is no way to reliably determine the immigration status of random people on the street.

Let's be clear: the only 'police' who can legally ask you, and require an answer, about citizenship are the feds. Local yokel cops, whether city or state, can ask about your citizenship but you are only legally reguired to provide identification.

No one wants national ID; this is not a good option for a free people. Citizenship can be determined fairly quickly for those illegal aliens new to the country. ICE (former INS) Special Agents are trained to determine citizenship through interrogation/questioning techinques that for obvious reasons, aren't made public. And if local or state cops are concerned, feds are called, except in Houston.

• 2 months later...

Archived