Washington & Westcott Improvements

Yes, I think it's going to look great when finished. It's actually not the second in Houston, but at least the third. A traffic circle was built at Broadway and Park Place near Hobby Airport when the Park Place addition was developed. The old Houston-Galveston Interurban Railway stopped in the middle of it. When the Gulf Freeway was built on the Interurban right of way, the traffic circle was hidden from view by the freeway overhead but largely left unaltered. It remains to this day, although it is now controlled by traffic signals. A new roundabout has been built in Westchase at the intersection of Seagler and Meadowglen. Both of these streets have been extended (Seagler south to Richmond, Meadowglen west to the Sam Houston Tollway) as part of the new West 8 development. The streets were finished over a year ago but remained closed to traffic for months, until they were opened for a short time a few months ago. Then they were closed again. I don't know if they've been reopend yet or not.

There's also at least one "lost" traffic circle in the city. One used to exist where the Eastex Freeway intersects the old North Loop (now Kelley St.) just north of the current 59/610 interchange on the northeast side of town.

The project looks good, but I'm not sure where they get off calling that an historical area. It looks like another effort to make a poorly developed area more tolerable. All the new development has been dissapointing to say the least and the apartment complex on the corner is an eyesore. Maybe they should consider brining back the Vatican.

I like the picture though:

WOWview72.jpg

There's also at least one "lost" traffic circle in the city. One used to exist where the Eastex Freeway intersects the old North Loop (now Kelley St.) just north of the current 59/610 interchange on the northeast side of town.

Another "lost" traffic circle was at Franklin and Smith downtown.

That picture appears to have no relation whatsoever to the diagram in the first post.

Yeah that's a shame how the Gulf Freeway was built right through the Park Place circle... that could have ended up being a really nice place otherwise.

There's another "lost" traffic circle at Bellaire & Bissonet. You can still see remnants of the old circle in the parking lots of the businesses surrounding that intersection today.

Traffic circles seem to be acceptable - even common - in foreign cities.

(I'm basing this on my fondness for black-and-white movies from the early 50's).

So - since I don't drive anymore, are traffic circles a good way to deal with intersections? Will people behave? And would it help if they drove Fiats or Renaults?

• 1 month later...
Traffic circles seem to be acceptable - even common - in foreign cities.

(I'm basing this on my fondness for black-and-white movies from the early 50's).

So  - since I don't drive anymore, are traffic circles a good way to deal with intersections? Will people behave? And would it help if they drove Fiats or Renaults?

I think they are statistically more dangerous due to having to suddenly think and steer at the same time. There's one in Long Beach CA that's one of the deadliest intersections in So CA. And now with cell phones?

I think we should all be strongly in favor of any efforts to give our neighborhoods a higher level of identity and more of a master-planned feeling to the city (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz . . . . :lol: ). I have been through the Washington traffic circle and think it looks good. A great traffic circle would have development around it, though (e.g., Dupont Circle in D.C.), and I thought the buildings are built too far back. But give it time and hope . . . .

The Memorial Club Apartments seem to be waiting for some investment group to come in and buy out. With all the new development going on off Washington and being so close to the park, it's a wonder this hasn't happened yet. I guess a weak apartment market is a big factor.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Does anyone have any new info on this Roundabout? I was told it was finished minus some landscaping. Functional? or Disaster?

I have driven it and its fine. It will take a little getting used to, but it wasn't exactly an easy intersection to begin with. I think once they get all the landscaping in place it will be a big improvement.

I think the whole city breathed a sigh of relief when that death trap was replaced. I thought we would have learned that traffic circles are not the answer.

They aren't for certain intersections, and the one you referred to was a disaster because it was an intersection between the Eastex Freeway and the old non-freeway North Loop. However, for some intersections traffic circles are perfectly safe and far more efficient than signals or stop signs. The Westcott/Washington intersection is probably a good example of this.

• 2 weeks later...

The one thing that really makes roundabouts work in europe is the use of blinkers. The blinker indicates when you plan to leave the roundabout and others must yield to you. If you dont use your blinker then you are asking for trouble.

Knowing how little texans like to actually use said device, I am scared for us all.

(ps. one of the heaviest traffic fines in most european locales is the failure to signal in a roundabout.)

There used to be three massive traffic circles in New Jersey along Route 23 where it intersected with U.S.202, U.S.46, and some other highway. It was a complete nightmare because they were one right after the other. During rush hour, it could take 40 minutes to go three miles. When I-287 was built through threre a few years ago the state and feds spent billions plowing through a mountain and straightening the whole mess out.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't forget the traffic circles on each side of the Washburn tunnel in east houston/pasadena.

Traffic circles are a great way to remove traffic signals in smaller intersections. If you have a busy intersection, a traffic circle can still work as long at the circle is much larger.

In Alexandria, Louisiana there is a large traffic circle that connects two busy highways on the south side of town. The size of the traffic circles alows for safer movements and merging

• 2 months later...

April 10, 2005, 12:17AM

Shaping up style on Washington Avenue

Traffic circle will put a fresh spin on old street

By ALLAN TURNER

-------------------

This message has been edited to remove copyrighted material.

Please do not post copyrighted photos or articles from newspapers or magazines. We have already received a warning from the Houston Chronicle, and the legal departments of other publications have visited the site. If you would like to discuss a published article, please summarize the article and provide a link to the original source.

-------------------