Washington & Westcott Improvements

don't forget about the world's largest roundabout, at the arc de triomphe in paris.

didn't have a chance to drive in it, but just watching was enough for me (borrowed this pic):

05.jpg

this one has no signals, 12 streets going into it, and pedestrians can get to the arc in the middle via underground tunnels. there are fences everywhere keeping people from attempting to cross any part. you can see the tunnel entrance to the left of the large street in the picture (top-left).

This is my neighborhood (I live just off Washington at Asbury) and I commute to the west side daily. The roundabout works well except for the odd occasion when someone who is clearly unfamiliar with them stops either on entering (when there's no traffic in it) or while they're in it to let somebody else enter (not realizing that whoever is in has the right-of-way).

Most people seem to navigate it pretty well. I rarely have to stop and I use my blinkers to signal the left turn when entering from the north (well trained after driving 18 months in the UK). Not that anybody else pays attention, mind.

I drive through this circle also about 3-4 times a week. It's much more efficient than the previous traffic signal. I do agree that the biggest problem is when people use it that don't know how.

I read somewhere that in Paris it's the exact opposite of the US -- their suburbs are where the immigrants and gangs are, and the inner cities are where all of the wealthy people want to be. So if they are in fact heading to their sprawling estates, it might be only because they couldn't afford something closer in.

I dunno, Piccadilly Circus is pretty major, and it even has traffic light.  How else would you cross the street?

foto10.jpg

Through an underground passage beneath the street. In London they call it a "subway" which must be why they call their subway "the tube."

On my first trip to London I became very confused. I kept going down the stairs marked "subway" but there weren't any trains.