Chevron Houston Marathon 2010

Pumapayam

A thread exists for Houston Marathon in 2008, so please merge if desired.

I am likely doing the half, but I paid for the full since the half was already sold out. I can switch down to the half marathon later on since I am in the full marathon for a small fee. So who else is doing it?

logo-default.gif

Registration opened Friday and both the full and half marathons sold out.

• 1 month later...

I'm running the 5k smile.gif

the half and full marathon seem like death sentences to me...maybe one day?

But DMN has a nice article on the Houston Marathon:

Houston's success stems from several factors: It features a fast course, widespread community support and easy access to and from the start-finish, as well as hotels, expo and airports.

Dallas White Rock Marathon executive director Marcus Grunewald said Dallas' registration began picking up once Houston sold out.

http://www.dallasnew...ol.329d802.html

• 4 months later...

I didn't run, but I liked the tracking features. You could look up a runner's bib number on the website and then text that bib number to a number on your phone and it would text you when they reached checkpoints.

Yeah, I liked that too, was hoping it was per mile marker, but it was only a like 4 or 5 places, at least for the half marathon.

I think it is great that the event has grown so much and raises so much money for charities, but I really don't like how they deal with registrations. Running a full marathon is very hard, especially for the non-elite runners. One thing that can help is a large field to push you through. However, Houston's Marathon is suffering because of the success of the half marathon and 5K runs. This past year, when the half marathon sold out, they starting filling marathon slots with half marathoners. That sucks.

I think it is great that the event has grown so much and raises so much money for charities, but I really don't like how they deal with registrations. Running a full marathon is very hard, especially for the non-elite runners. One thing that can help is a large field to push you through. However, Houston's Marathon is suffering because of the success of the half marathon and 5K runs. This past year, when the half marathon sold out, they starting filling marathon slots with half marathoners. That sucks.

That's what I did, I bought into the full marathon and paid to downgrade to the half.

• The title was changed to Chevron Houston Marathon 2010

Archived