Downtown At Night

Johnme

Has anyone noticed how dark downtown looks at night? I know that they are trying to conserve energy, but America's 4th largest city should be lit up at night just as it was 2 years ago. Ever since lights out Houston started buildings have been turning off the decorative lighting that made our downtown stand out at night. Instead of turning off the decorative lighting; more energy would be saved if they just made sure that lights in the offices are turned off at night. Or they can replace the bulbs with LED lighting and turn the lights back on. Here is an example off of the net showing the darkness.

042420092207_l.jpg

Has anyone noticed how dark downtown looks at night? I know that they are trying to conserve energy, but America's 4th largest city should be lit up at night just as it was 2 years ago. Ever since lights out Houston started buildings have been turning off the decorative lighting that made our downtown stand out at night. Instead of turning off the decorative lighting; more energy would be saved if they just made sure that lights in the offices are turned off at night. Or they can replace the bulbs with LED lighting and turn the lights back on. Here is an example off of the net showing the darkness.

042420092207_l.jpg

Is "Lights Out Houston" mainly just an excuse by building operators to be cheap and turn off ornamental lighting? On face value, it seems about as sincere as the hotels who leave notes asking you to re-use your towels unless you place them on the floor in order "to assist [Hotel X] in saving the environment" (i.e., to reduce the hotel's expenses). Of course, they're both valid strategies and business savvy as well, but a spade by another name is still a spade.

Anyone have thoughts? To me, it seems like an example finding a way to save a buck--and then spinning it as being in alignment with the cause du jour (going green!).

I snapped a couple of photos tonight. The Wells Fargo tower has a different side lit up now and the side that had pieces lit up is now dark. If someone charged them to fix the lights they need to get their money back.

P7060027.jpg

The Continental Building

P7060025.jpg

While i don't miss the cheap looking white Christmas lights from a few years back, i don't neccesarily like the black downtown we currrently have either. I wish the Wells Fargo, Reliant Energy, and Wedge buildings would turn their lights back on. Maybe a letter to Central Houston would help to encourage LED certified lighting. I remember a HAIFer a few years back (greystone i think was his name) was real proactive on trying to improve lighting downtown and wrote several letters to Bob Eury encouraging better lighting. I'll try to dig for that topic but i got to get familiar with this new HAIF design first.

• 5 weeks later...

I snapped a couple of photos tonight. The Wells Fargo tower has a different side lit up now and the side that had pieces lit up is now dark. If someone charged them to fix the lights they need to get their money back.

P7060027.jpg

My guess is the white neon was damaged from the hurricane last year & never fixed. Fragile glass neon & high winds &/or hail don't go too well together.

My guess is the white neon was damaged from the hurricane last year & never fixed. Fragile glass neon & high winds &/or hail don't go too well together.

Believe it or not, those are indeed LEDs at the top of Wells Fargo. You can see them from the top of One Shell. While I like the lighting scheme when it works, there seemed to be more times when at least one part of Wells Fargo wasn't lit. Gave the impression of someone missing a tooth.

• 2 weeks later...

nite240.jpg

This is how I saw the Wells Fargo tower the other night (Thursday)

They need to fix the lights already; the lights have not been on completely since before Hurricane Ike. I am holding out hope that the Hess Tower and Main Place will be lit up at night. Hopefully the rest of the towers will join them with some energy efficient lights. Look at the medical center at night; downtown can do so much better.On the topic; it looks like the newer former Enron building has shut their lights off too. :angry2::angry2:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Pay me $300 and I'll go up there myself and screw in some bulbs.

I like it. That building is usually so dark at night.

I passed by the former Bank United building last night and the lights had changed to a light lavender color, so this building must have several different color schemes. Hopefully this building will be a trendsetter and the downtown skyline will come back to life at night.

• 3 years later...
  • The title was changed to Downtown At Night

Archived