Why Is The Heights So Popular

Considering that Houston's population pre-automobile was less than 45,000, I'd say virtually every Houston neighborhood is post-automobile designed. And, given that the US population has quadrupled during that time, I'd say most neighborhoods nationwide are post-automobile as well.

You know what I was meaning to articulate. We have a number of "streetcar neighborhoods," of which the Houston Heights is one, that were designed in order to accommodate households that were not owners of automobiles. And as I recall, the Houston Heights wasn't even annexed into the City of Houston proper until some decades after the advent of the automobile. This was true of several such neighborhoods.

You are correct that most neighborhoods nationwide are post-automobile, however that does not translate to there being a scarcity of them.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
to be a true yankee you have to be from one of the original 13 colonies but north of the mason-dixon. -_-

Yankee is referring to a subculture, not a nationality circa 1860. If the "stuff white people like" blog hits too close to home, you're a Yankee. You can usually tell just by appearances. Mind you, not not all Yankees are northerners, and not all northerners are Yankees.

For instance:

Yankee

rasta.jpg

Yankee

travellingguy.jpg

Uber Yankee

1166473936_498267b2da.jpg

Editor put "yankee" as a definition elsewhere.

To foreigners, a yankee is an American.

To Americans, a yankee is someone living in the North.

To the North, a yankee is someone living in the East Coast area.

To the East Coast area, a yankee is someone living in New England.

To New England, a yankee is someone living in Vermont.

To Vermonters, a yankee is someone who doesn't have plumbing.

...or something along those lines.

To Houstonians, a yankee is someone living in Dallas.

Take a drive down Bayland on a Sunday morning. Or better yet, bring your bikes. One of the more beautiful streets in the city.

Thanks for the tip. I've been looking to expand my bike jaunts beyond west Houston so I might try meandering through the rest of the Heights on two wheels instead of four.

Maybe I'll check out the infamous Heights Blvd bike lane and see if someone tries to run me over. Can't be any worse than trying to ride Richmond or Westheimer. :o

LMAO - no relation. I'm from Ohio, my wife's from Nebraska. When I first moved here I worked at an oil refinery. I spent about a year trying to explain to oil workers from East Texas and/or Deer Park/Pasadena that I wasn't a 'Yankee.' I gave up.

LOL...This might help you understand....

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/texas...u_s_border_wall

texas_article_large.article_large.jpg

To Houstonians, a yankee is someone living in Dallas.

there is a lot of accuracy to both those statements.

Take a drive down Bayland on a Sunday morning. Or better yet, bring your bikes. One of the more beautiful streets in the city.

Thats how I ended up here. I moved here from Austin and drove down bayland and that day bought "A Field Guide To American Houses" so I figure out what I was looking at so I could find more.

The biggest thing (as a former Austinite) is the lack of corporate crap. I don't want to live near a smoothyking or Chiles (well, we have one kinda close now). I want a good walkability score(70!) and I don't want to live in one of those "(sub?)Urban Lofts" apartments with Starbucks on the ground floor.

The other thing is I wanted a small house. I wanted to live near people who live in small houses.

It'd be perfect except that I commute to Bellaire for work =[

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/hei...ws/6503164.html

Houston Heights is among the nation's "Best Old House Neighborhoods" in the online version of This Old House magazine's second annual listing.

Evans-Davis posted this in an individual thread. It turned into a - ahem - discussion over the Mason-Dixon line after TheNiche voted to exclude Maryland from the south.

The article cross-references the Heights as a "Best Place to Buy an Old House" for urban suburbanites, cottages and bungalows, families, single-women buyers, food lovers and the South.

I laughed at that statement above. I must southern food loving Paula Dean wannabe.

I'm tellin' y'aaall. We need a stand that sells deep-fried stuffing on a stick. It could set up next to Wind Water Gallery. How multi-culti is that?!

there is a lot of accuracy to both those statements.

Oh yes. My parents were Michigan to Texas transplants and pretty much all of my friends growing up considered us Yankees despite the fact that all of us "kids" were born in Texas. I guess we had that Midwestern vibe all about us.

Thats how I ended up here. I moved here from Austin and drove down bayland and that day bought "A Field Guide To American Houses" so I figure out what I was looking at so I could find more.

The biggest thing (as a former Austinite) is the lack of corporate crap. I don't want to live near a smoothyking or Chiles (well, we have one kinda close now). I want a good walkability score(70!) and I don't want to live in one of those "(sub?)Urban Lofts" apartments with Starbucks on the ground floor.

The other thing is I wanted a small house. I wanted to live near people who live in small houses.

It'd be perfect except that I commute to Bellaire for work =[

Ditto the Austin move... substitute The Woodlands commute for Bellaire. The Heights is half way between my boyfriend's work place and mine and it just fits us. (He spends more time at my place than we do at his!)

We also like the laid-back, funky nature. One of the houses on the drive down the street has these art installations. I love to drive by and find something new. It's SO quiet and despite some of the recent crime, I still feel safe because my neighbors CARE about each other and lookout. It's almost like living in a 1950's sitcom, only better because it's not so perfect.

I also want to second a drive/ride down Bayland and the Woodland Heights/Norhill area. It's just so pretty.

One of the funniest dumb jokes ever.

Agreed. Love this joke.

We also like the laid-back, funky nature. One of the houses on the drive down the street has these art installations. I love to drive by and find something new. It's SO quiet and despite some of the recent crime, I still feel safe because my neighbors CARE about each other and lookout. It's almost like living in a 1950's sitcom, only better because it's not so perfect.

My neighbors and I, many of us single women households always gush about how safe we feel regardless of some of the things around us. It is that we all know each other, watch out for each other and we take on the criminal element.

HAIF HOOKUP!!!

On Mayor White's facebook page I was passionately debating a guy diametrically opposed about illegal aliens and HPD's role. I noticed on this guy's info page that he had the same birthday (not birth year) as me and I mentioned it. He then said we should have a birthday drink. I thought that was so funny. He then friended me on facebook.

My neighbors and I, many of us single women households always gush about how safe we feel regardless of some of the things around us. It is that we all know each other, watch out for each other and we take on the criminal element.

:D Exactly!

:D Exactly!

I had several of my neighbors over for a cookout Sunday night, though we opted to sit inside in the nice cool AC. We almost once a week have an impromptu dinner at one of our houses.

The Heights Angels?

charliesangels.jpg

I had several of my neighbors over for a cookout Sunday night, though we opted to sit inside in the nice cool AC. We almost once a week have an impromptu dinner at one of our houses.

Okay, now I'm jealous. We don't have cookouts, just lookouts!

I've always wondered why there wasn't a redhead in Charlie's Angels.

• The title was changed to Why Is The Heights So Popular?
  • The title was changed to Why Is The Heights So Popular

Archived