Painting Classes

lockmat

Does anyone know where I could take painting classes without breaking the bank? Should I go to a community college or to some non-profit type place in the museum district?

Like many little kids, I used to love drawing in elementary school. I was okay, nothing special at all. Since then, I haven't really drawn or done any kind of art. I didn't even take an art class in high school :(

But I would really love to learn.

I don't want to paint abstract. I want to paint pictures.

Has anyone else ever taken an art classes? What were your experiences and/or advice?

Thanks

Heh....you could try Hobby Lobby or Michael's. The last I checked, they have some reasonably priced painting classes.

Glassell School at MFAH. Houston Community College and other community colleges.

Maybe the Art League of Houston - haven't checked with them lately so don't know about their classes.

Stay away from the "artsy-craftsy" teachers and those who have you copy things or who teach only their own pet techniques.

It doesn't matter whether you start painting with oils or acrylics - the skills you learn are transferable if you want to change. Don't buy "student-grade" paint or those weird hybrid oil/water paints or budget-priced brushes.

You might enjoy spending some time just browsing at Texas Art Supply.

FWIW, in a previous life I taught painting, drawing, design and color theory at the college level. Currently, I'm a studio painter and am restoring an old house.

FWIW, in a previous life I taught painting, drawing, design and color theory at the college level. Currently, I'm a studio painter and am restoring an old house.

Perhaps you can teach lockmat. Where are you restoring an old house?

Lone Star doesn't have painting classes at night this fall or spring. :(

But they do have drawing classes at night. I want to learn how to paint, but for you artists out there, should I take Drawing first?

Lone Star doesn't have painting classes at night this fall or spring. :(

But they do have drawing classes at night. I want to learn how to paint, but for you artists out there, should I take Drawing first?

If you haven't been drawing regularly for some time, I'd say yes! One or two semesters in a good drawing class will get you reacquainted with the concepts of line, form, value, space, etc. It will make painting class go much easier. A class in 2-D design and/or color theory isn't a bad idea, either.

A good drawing in a simple frame makes a fine wall decoration.

If you haven't been drawing regularly for some time, I'd say yes! One or two semesters in a good drawing class will get you reacquainted with the concepts of line, form, value, space, etc. It will make painting class go much easier. A class in 2-D design and/or color theory isn't a bad idea, either.

A good drawing in a simple frame makes a fine wall decoration.

I have no formal ideas of drawing or painting. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

Archived