Katy Fwy. - Feeder Road Gardens

The trees and shrubs planted along the Katy Freeway and Feeder Roads, and also some of the Grand Parkway areas throughout Katy look terrible. Many of the trees are dead, many are falling over yet trying to survive, and other trees are on their last leg. It is obvious the watering systems are failing, and so are the trees.

Is there any program to replace the trees or fix the watering systems?

I realize the program's intent, mow the grass just off the Feeder Road then allow a natural look to develop up the freeway barriers. But it needs TLC before it's too late.

We were discussing this in another thread. TxDOT seems to have a problem with planting trees too close to one another, thus causing them to have stunted growth or even die. Good roadbuilders? Yes. Good horticulturists? No.

They would probably be doing fine, if it were not for the horrendous drought we are in. But hey, the fittest of the plantings should survive, lowering future maintenance costs, which will also solve the issue of them being planted too close together!

Sorry, but considering the amount of tax dollars we pay and the added revenue of the toll roads in the region, I would expect better alongside the roadways of Katy. These areas have gone from quite nice to an eyesore in several years time. Additionally, there are watering provisions in these gardens, but they are rarely used.

Edited by tcr98taws6

They would probably be doing fine, if it were not for the horrendous drought we are in. But hey, the fittest of the plantings should survive, lowering future maintenance costs, which will also solve the issue of them being planted too close together!

Unless none of them survive.

There are plenty of drought-resistant plants native to Texas. It sounds like they picked pretty plants instead of logical plants.

Unless none of them survive.

There are plenty of drought-resistant plants native to Texas. It sounds like they picked pretty plants instead of logical plants.

Most of the trees planted, the majority of which are Southern Pines, do pretty well here. I believe the problem is drought and not root knotted trees (planting to close together). Root knotted trees generally take years to develop. These trees are still very young and have shallow root systems, thus they can't get deep enough for moisture. Not to mention the fact that because of the dry air the foilage is getting very little moisture as well.

• 4 weeks later...

I wrote in another topic that the tree planters were under contract to maintain the trees. When the contract ran out and TXDOT didn't renew, they stopped watering. Well, Duh! They are going to try and get some private funding to replace many of them. It just irks me that they (TXDOT) were so incompetent to not know to water new plantings during extreme heat/drought.

Most of the trees have now been cut down leaving just a few pines. Also, many of the trees that line Hwy 99 have also fallen victim to TXDOT's incompetence. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming that TXDOT has no plans to replace them since they've left every single stump in the ground. It's frickin deplorable.

Maybe if we offer to pitch in we can get them to paint "TheHAIF.com" on the freeway walls.

It would be a hell of alot better than the giant stars at each intersection. The black star at 99 and 10 has got to be the ugliest thing they've come up with. Who are the people that approve this stuff?

• 2 weeks later...

Carrie Feibel has some more details on the tree die-off in this week's Move It! column.

...the trees planted along the Katy right-of-way by the Texas Department of Transportation were especially vulnerable because they were still in their “establishment” period. Hurricane Ike damaged many of the new plantings, and the drought has dealt the final blow to some, said Dana Cote, TxDOT's District Landscape Architect. ... In the Katy area, the landscape contractor's responsibilities ended in March. Then the drought hit. But TxDOT will be replacing some of the dead plants in the winter with new seedlings that were donated after Hurricane Ike.

Edited by arisegundo

It would be a hell of alot better than the giant stars at each intersection. The black star at 99 and 10 has got to be the ugliest thing they've come up with. Who are the people that approve this stuff?

Or, they could just tell this guy all about it:

wroof.jpg

I am just glad they are replacing the trees. Ike plus the drought put the nail in the coffin for those young trees along with the strategy of placing lots of trees together and letting natural selection take over. Hopefully TXDOT can at least, in the future, can have a water truck hose down the trees every other week.

I am just glad they are replacing the trees. Ike plus the drought put the nail in the coffin for those young trees along with the strategy of placing lots of trees together and letting natural selection take over. Hopefully TXDOT can at least, in the future, can have a water truck hose down the trees every other week.

• The title was changed to Katy Fwy. - Feeder Road Gardens