Hong Kong City Mall

I've never been to HKCM, but I heard it's kind of cool. Some girl in my class mentioned a frozen yogurt machine but there's got to be other neat stores and restaurants there, right? And nothing that will kill me due to toxins in the food?

I always wanted to go there too. I don't know where it is. Also there was some new grocery store that opened up a while ago in the Asia town area, that catered to I think Korean foods, well they had a Korean fried chicken place in it and I heard that Korean fried chicken was good. Next time I'm in Houston I want to go there and to Timmy Chang's.

I've never been to HKCM, but I heard it's kind of cool. Some girl in my class mentioned a frozen yogurt machine but there's got to be other neat stores and restaurants there, right? And nothing that will kill me due to toxins in the food?

It's off Bellaire in SW Houston, just outside the beltway. Worth visiting. It's as close to being in China as you'll find around here.

Also there was some new grocery store that opened up a while ago in the Asia town area, that catered to I think Korean foods, well they had a Korean fried chicken place in it and I heard that Korean fried chicken was good.

That would probably be H Mart - they have multiple stores all over the country. I've been meaning to go there myself but haven't made it yet. Here are some pics of the Houston store from the H Mart website:

H Mart Houston

Hong Kong City Mall was the first place I went in the suburban "Chinatown". It's basically an indoor mall with asian stores. Lots of vietnamese stuff like Pho restaurants, a bubble tea cafe, a huge grocery store, a toy store, a video/music store and some other asian stuff. The guy who owns the toy store yelled and me and kicked us out (including my girlfriend's little sister) and said "never come back, we don't like you" because we pressed the button on one of the toys that said "press here to try".

The guy who owns the toy store yelled and me and kicked us out (including my girlfriend's little sister) and said "never come back, we don't like you" because we pressed the button on one of the toys that said "press here to try".

hahahahaha

Hong Kong City Mall was the first place I went in the suburban "Chinatown". It's basically an indoor mall with asian stores. Lots of vietnamese stuff like Pho restaurants, a bubble tea cafe, a huge grocery store, a toy store, a video/music store and some other asian stuff. The guy who owns the toy store yelled and me and kicked us out (including my girlfriend's little sister) and said "never come back, we don't like you" because we pressed the button on one of the toys that said "press here to try".

Was it because he was a jerk or he was racist? Still, what about that frozen yogurt dispenser thingie?

They have cheap beer in the food court (used to be $1.50 a bottle/can). I've been in that toy store many times with my children and we've never been harrassed. Maybe the guy was just having a bad day. There's a place just off the food court called Vi's that makes pretty good sandwiches. Also, further down there are a couple of bakeries and a place that sells all kinds of fresh jerky. One of the anchor restaurants, Ocean Palace, at the other end of the mall from the food court serves dim sum. In between there are a lot of little clothing, music and gift shops that sell a variety of stuff and a large asian grocery store. Across Bellaire from HKCM is Lee's sandwiches, which is open late and has a variety of Vietnamese sandiches, drinks and some unusual ice cream's (ever have Durian flavored ice cream?).

If you like HKCM, you can also try Viet Hoa at Beechnut and the Beltway. Similar assortment of stores, but it in strip center format. Used to be a Kmart before it was renovated and expanded. They have a dim sum to-go shop there and a small outpost of Lee's. At the far end, in the newer section of the strip, there is a small food court with a Filipino restaurant (notable to me at least because I've seen very few Filipino restaurants here even though we have a large asian population from seemingly everwhere in east and south asia).

It's off Bellaire in SW Houston, just outside the beltway. Worth visiting. It's as close to being in China as you'll find around here.

It's actually as close as you'll find to Vietnam around here. Not sure why, but the Chinese stores tend to be east of the beltway and the Vietnamese tend to be west of the beltway. Of course, there are some exceptions to that. My hunch is that the Chinese got established first with Diho market and Dynasty market/mall (not much of a mall, really) back when Bellaire still fairly empty that far out and the Vietnamese came in later and started building in the next section of open land, which was west of the beltway.

I recall visiting Houston with my wife (then girlfriend) and her parents in the mid-late 80's and we went to Diho market and to some stores in the midtown Vietnamese area and the old downtown Chinatown. Don't remember much west of the beltway on Bellaire at that time.

There are still a few bastions of Vietnam and China towns east of downtown and in Midtown. Sadly I think they'll be muscled out soon, especially Midtown.

I know what you mean. We were in midtown this past Saturday, looking for some Vietnamese food. We only saw a few Vietnamese stores and restaurants. When we moved here in '99 there were at least twice as many, plus a small indoor center with a food store and some shops. Fu Kim is gone also. We rode over to the old chinatown and it is now only a few stores. We ended up at Kim Son off the 59 feeder, where we got to see some of the art cars up close as they were parked around and in the Kim Son parking lot.

In the east of downtown Chinatown:

Huynh is a very good Vietnamese restaurant on St. Emanuel. Some of their dishes are so delicious, and the kids usually running the register are very helpful. I usually got it carryout since I lived close but the place has nice ambience and is great for a sitdown meal. Huynh is just this nice little gem in a dull looking strip center. Hung Kee a few doors down is a Chinese buffet that is not as good, but they may have the best dumplings in the city. If you go there, skip the buffet and order the dumplings off the menu, quite possibly better than Doozo (yes I said it). They do not disappoint.

Vietnamese sandwich shops

There are two that I know of. One is Thiem Hung on Pease which has great cheap sandwiches and some very good beef stew. The other is the one inside the mall thing on St. Emanuel, starts with an H but I can't remember the name. That one is also very good and cheap.

Archived