METRO Installing More Blinking Pavement Lights

I saw these for the first time in January of last year when I was in Houston. I don't know what you guys think of them, but I think they're really cool. They'd be good supplemental warnings at intersections where red lights are frequently overlooked. I've seen cities put strobe lights inside the regular red traffic lights, but I think this would be a good compliment.

---------------

METRO GETS APPROVAL TO EXPAND TECHNOLOGY AIMED TO IMRPOVE SAFETY ALONG RED LINE

Drivers can expect to see more dancing red pavement lights at intersections along METRO

I think they are one of the better safety devices I have seen in recent years. The fact is, there are far more distractions to drivers today than in the past. Cell phones, GPS, DVD players, and of course stereos all compete for a driver's attention. A visual signal like these lights helps distract the driver from his distraction back to the street in front of him. And, as much as we love to chastise inattentive drivers, almost everyone is guilty of fiddling with these toys from time to time. The lights are a pragmatic acknowledgement that people get distracted more often than they used to.

I think they are one of the better safety devices I have seen in recent years. The fact is, there are far more distractions to drivers today than in the past. Cell phones, GPS, DVD players, and of course stereos all compete for a driver's attention. A visual signal like these lights helps distract the driver from his distraction back to the street in front of him. And, as much as we love to chastise inattentive drivers, almost everyone is guilty of fiddling with these toys from time to time. The lights are a pragmatic acknowledgement that people get distracted more often than they used to.

Also, the light rail lines are located in the more urban parts of the city, which tend to be more susceptible to visual clutter. The normal red light has a lot of competition from its surroundings, so whatever additional visual cues we can give the driver without harming the other road users, we should.

Edited by CDeb

Also, the light rail lines are located in the more urban parts of the city, which tend to be more susceptible to visual clutter. The normal red light has a lot of competition from its surroundings, so whatever additional visual cues we can give the driver without harming the other road users, we should.

I second this view. And I'll add that no matter that I drive through different parts of Downtown maybe 2 times a week, I never get comfortable with all those 1-way streets and sky-scrapers and people crossing streets. It's all a bunch of visual distractions and driving decisions for me. So I appreciate those in-ground flashing lights to help signal I'm at Main St and the metro is coming.

Money well spent. Not something I often get to say about METRO! The lights are very effective. I wish they used them at more intersections. As pointed out the visual clutter downtown is an issue. I always get nervous when coming to an intersection without a signal in dense areas; wondering "did I miss it?" or "is it not there". They are effective at keeping cars out of cross walks, too. Stop lines seem to be ignored completely. These lights are hard to ignore.

• 3 months later...
  • The title was changed to METRO Installing More Blinking Pavement Lights