HAIF Happy Hour - 5/2009

HAIF Happy Hour - 5/2009  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which dates and times work for your schedule? (Select all that apply.)

• Thursday, May 21st, 6:00PM until it's over
    • Friday, May 22nd, 6:00PM until it's over
    • Saturday May 23rd, 2:00PM until it's over
    • Saturday, May 23rd, 6:00PM until it's over
    • Thursday, May 28th, 6:00PM until it's over
    • Friday, May 29th, 6:00PM until it's over
    • Saturday May 30th, 2:00PM until it's over
    • Saturday, May 30th, 6:00PM until it's over

Sorry to be the bare-r of bad news, but McFaddin Beach is no more, thanks to Ike.

Actually, no. I go out there and do long-distance hikes once or twice a year. It's cleaner right now than I've ever seen it before. That's not saying a whole lot, because it never was a very clean beach...but it is better.

There are spots along the beach that are silty, where you can tell that the backwash from the marshes created a muddy little peninsula out into the Gulf that has subsequently been smoothed over. But for every patch of silt there are actually fairly long stretches of course sand. Other than that, the only thing that qualifies the beach as dirty are the shallow mounds of crushed shells. Hurricanes Ike and Rita also seem to have cleared out a fair bit of the broken up asphalt that used to be Highway 87.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, no. I go out there and do long-distance hikes once or twice a year. It's cleaner right now than I've ever seen it before. That's not saying a whole lot, because it never was a very clean beach...but it is better.

There are spots along the beach that are silty, where you can tell that the backwash from the marshes created a muddy little peninsula out into the Gulf that has subsequently been smoothed over. But for every patch of silt there are actually fairly long stretches of course sand. Other than that, the only thing that qualifies the beach as dirty are the shallow mounds of crushed shells. Hurricanes Ike and Rita also seem to have cleared out a fair bit of the broken up asphalt that used to be Highway 87.

Well that's good to hear. My beach house (was) a few miles west of there in Gilchrist. Is the beach automobile accessible? I won't go out there on foot. Between unexpected mosquito swarms and bitin' flies... We've literally had to run for the car to escape those bitin' flies. :huh:

Well that's good to hear. My beach house (was) a few miles west of there in Gilchrist. Is the beach automobile accessible? I won't go out there on foot. Between unexpected mosquito swarms and bitin' flies... We've literally had to run for the car to escape those bitin' flies. :huh:

I never encountered a single bug, but it was a moderately windy day. Probably 10-15 mph.

If you hug the water and maintain a constant speed, a car can easily get around. But it's probably good policy to carry a few pieces of lumber or ideally metal grates with you whenever you're driving on the beach, regardless of conditions.

I've got some beach buddies that will be thrilled to hear this. Looks like we'll be parking a pop-up camper on the house slab this summer, if we can get the electricity hooked up.

Back to the HAIFY Hour. Have we narrowed on a date yet?

By popular vote, HAIFers have selected a date and time for their next HAIF Happy Hour. It will be on Friday, May 22nd, from 6:00PM until its over.

We've got volunteers that are bringing the essentials, and anybody else that wants to show up is welcome to. If we run out of booze or other necessities, there is a grocery store next door.

LOCATION: confidential. Sorry, but Google would pick up on the address and would advertise this event until the end of eternity. And I need to keep under the radar.

Anybody that has already told me that they're going to show up is about to receive a PM from me. Anybody that wants to show up need only post to this thread, and I'll relay the address.

It's in my neck of the woods. Where will this take place?

What's the age range of the people going? Is it ok to bring a young'un?

De

The age range is typically mid-20's to late-40's by my observation. The median and mode is definitely Gen X.

My gut reaction was to say that all comers are welcome...but on second thought, it's probably more prudent for me not to allow minors onto a construction site alongside a throng of drunks and free-flowing booze. Liability is always a concern, you know.

I haven't been keeping strict count of the number of PMed invites I've sent out, but I think we're coming up on about 20 people that have confirmed or said maybe. I only have parking for about half as many vehicles before we run into double-parking situations.

Once we've filled up all the spaces in back, I'll shut the gate. Don't park in front of the gate. At that point, two cars can pull onto the lawn, parallel to the street, and one car can park in front of the overhead door. After that, we're limited to on-street parking. I'll put together a little diagram using Google Earth soon and send a PM update.

I think there will be at least three of us there...but yeah, small percentage!

I count four. It would be five, including EMME.

Porchman is bringing Mrs. Porchman, and of course anybody else who wants to bring a friend or significant other is welcome to. Just don't go nuts on me and show up with your unannounced entourage and/or posse, or anything.

I count four. It would be five, including EMME.

Porchman is bringing Mrs. Porchman, and of course anybody else who wants to bring a friend or significant other is welcome to. Just don't go nuts on me and show up with your unannounced entourage and/or posse, or anything.

would love to come. may bring "a" friend. will leave the entourage elsewhere. ;)

Would love to come drinkin'! I'm 90% sure my life is empty enough to say I'll be there. I'll bring whatever is needed. Booze, ice, snacks, chairs. Sounds like a great way to make friends. Very nice of you to volunteer your space, The Niche. PM me please!!

Archived