World's Most Stunning City Skylines

We made it! I do wish they'd display shots ocasionally that aren't just the standard westside/Allen Pkwy view.

You stole my thunder, but I completely agree. I guess the one benefit is that I feel spoiled for getting to see the other views when driving up and down different freeways. Downtown is a good view, 360 degrees.

Where are all of those "50 story buildings" next to "one story buildings" that supposedly leave holes in our skyline?

Less than a one story building there, but what springs to mind is One Shell next to the surface lot covering the entire Walker-Louisiana-McKinney-Milam block.

Maybe they decided to round things up, in regards to Marathon Oil, and San Felipe plaza, perhaps.

Less than a one story building there, but what springs to mind is One Shell next to the surface lot covering the entire Walker-Louisiana-McKinney-Milam block.

Yea, that exists, but it doesn't really contribute much of a hole to the skyline, especially in the shot they posted. (and more to the point, the quote spoke of mulitple 50-story buildings next to multiple one-story buildings.) One of the major oft-overlooked contributors to the so-called holes in our skyline is the fact that we have very small blocks downtown, so there is, in most cases, only room for one large/tall building per block, and it's completely on a grid.

They also could have used a picture taken more recently, say sometime since 2001. There would be fewer "holes".

We made it! I do wish they'd display shots ocasionally that aren't just the standard westside/Allen Pkwy view.

I remember a discussion in the 1970s about a location out west where all the highrises lined up-downtown, med center, galleria and sharpstown. The idea was you could get a shot that looked like manhattan from new jersey. Does anyone know a location where this could happen?

I remember a discussion in the 1970s about a location out west where all the highrises lined up-downtown, med center, galleria and sharpstown. The idea was you could get a shot that looked like manhattan from new jersey. Does anyone know a location where this could happen?

Yup... you can get this from the east loop on top of the bridge that goes over the ship channel.

I agree that isn't the best picture possible. The magazine uses the old name for Williams Tower--which isn't anywhere near downtown. You can see only a bit of Pennzoil Place & they didn't mention the Bank of America building--as long as they're listing Philip Johnson buildings.

But many of the other stunning skylines began with stunning locations. We've got--Buffalo Bayou. And we're considerably newer than some.

So there's reason for a bit of pride...

Archived