Learning Different Languages

lockmat

if you've forgotten most the grammar you learned in high school, then you'd be a beginning student for the most part. a community college may be the best choice, esp as a refresher for further study.

you might try puntos de partida which does have some online lessons. The textbook itself explains grammar well which is why I liked it.

this book was used at hcc a few years ago and i believe still is. ebay usually has used versions as well.

I would say you could go volunteer to teach at a church where there are ESL type programs however sometimes the students' knowledge of spanish isn't so textbook perfect, so you can pickup some things that aren't grammatically correct. on the street you hear lots of american verbs with an "ear" at the end being used as spanish verbs.

if you've forgotten most the grammar you learned in high school, then you'd be a beginning student for the most part. a community college may be the best choice, esp as a refresher for further study.

you might try puntos de partida which does have some online lessons. The textbook itself explains grammar well which is why I liked it.

this book was used at hcc a few years ago and i believe still is. ebay usually has used versions as well.

I would say you could go volunteer to teach at a church where there are ESL type programs however sometimes the students' knowledge of spanish isn't so textbook perfect, so you can pickup some things that aren't grammatically correct. on the street you hear lots of american verbs with an "ear" at the end being used as spanish verbs.

Thanks very much for the tips.

Yes, I am probably closer to "beginner" level than I think. I do know some grammar, just not enough. I need to get those rules implanted in my brain.

The one thing I don't like about formal studying is that they teach you words most spanish speakers don't even use. I'm always practicing one thing then get told my girlfriend/family that, "no...we don't really use that word. Someone would understand you if you said that, but we don't use it." Of course, spanish is spoken slightly differently from country to country.

But very good tips music, I appreciate it.

edit: that seems like a great site you sent me mm!

The one thing I don't like about formal studying is that they teach you words most spanish speakers don't even use. I'm always practicing one thing then get told my girlfriend/family that, "no...we don't really use that word. Someone would understand you if you said that, but we don't use it." Of course, spanish is spoken slightly differently from country to country.

sometimes though, there are more eloquent ways to say things which is why i prefer formal studying.

sometimes though, there are more eloquent ways to say things which is why i prefer formal studying.

And you're right, I think that's how formal teaching goes. They want to teach you the most proper way and I understand that. But it's frustrating when you're speaking to someone fluent and they hesitate in understanding you b/c the words you're using aren't common. Of course, I'd like to learn the best grammar possible though.

Also, if anyone has a technique on learning to roll r's, PLEASE share. It's so frustrating.

And you're right, I think that's how formal teaching goes. They want to teach you the most proper way and I understand that. But it's frustrating when you're speaking to someone fluent and they hesitate in understanding you b/c the words you're using aren't common. Of course, I'd like to learn the best grammar possible though.

Also, if anyone has a technique on learning to roll r's, PLEASE share. It's so frustrating.

That's the problem of learning any new language--do you use or focus on the formal or the spoken form. :blink: This depends on your audience but if the majority don't use the formal form then you're not communcating effectively by using the formal/book phrases. It's like speaking British English in East Texas and vise-versa. :blush:

Furthermore, I would say immersing yourself would be best (not always doeable) or at least watch and listen to Spanish media.

The way I learned Spanish, which admittedly is more vernacular than the formal stuff, was to do manual labor over the summer when I was a kid: landscaping, painting, roofing. The guys I worked with hardly spoke any English and I learned pretty fast. I would go home at night and watch Telemundo as practice and bought a couple of instruction books, too.

I'm not saying that's a good way for an adult now, but what I am saying is that of all the foreign languages you could choose, Spanish is definitely the easiest to expose yourself to if you live in Houston. Take your formal lessons and then seek out opportunities to use it and you will pick it up really quickly.

I think it's great you're working to become fluent in Spanish. I share the goal, but it'll be on a back burner for a while.

For a long time, I've thought English and Spanish language fluency should be an public elementary school goal in Texas. Growing up in the Panhandle until 7th grade, my exposure to Spanish was limited, but living in South Texas from 7th grade until time for college gave me a decent comprehension of Spanish conversations. I lived in the Dallas area for about a fifteen years and found it very easy to communicate in Spanish as a functional illiterate when the opportunity arose. Living in Southern California, I was a little surprised to encounter a greater separation between English & Spanish speaking social circles.... It could easily have been because my CA existence primarily hugged the Orange & LA County coastlines, but I began to lose what understanding of spoken Spanish I had. Now I've lived in Georgia for 8 years, and can understand less than 25% of the Spanish I hear. I hate it.

If I was going to work at becoming fluent in Spanish and considering my history, I would need disciplined and structured grammar and vocabulary lessons, lots of time watching Spanish TV channels and regular social interactions with people who grew up speaking Spanish.

I'd love it you kept us up to date.

...Spanish language fluency should be an public elementary school goal in Texas....

haha that was a typo

There are numerous online (free) forums to start viewing and learning easily. Best part is most are in both English & Spanish. The persons responding are aware that others want to grasp so they do in both languages. Thats is what I do as a courtesy to the viewer.

Notes from Spain.com (caters to all ages/professions)

Berberber.com (mostly college age group)

Skyscrapercity.com (all ages)

I buy bullfight DVD's and not only get great entertainment but the media is there constantly interviewing the celebs & crowds. My best advice is try to stay away from learning Texasish slang Spanish. We have butchered it up so bad it sounds "bad form" when conversing with an International group. As I mentioned before, I am involved in several non-profit orgs one of which caters to an International crowd so I am immersed in many from Spain/Argentina/Cuba/Colombia, etc. Our board are all PHD's that have taught language courses. When I am around them it encourages me to learn and I get to hear the proper pronounciations and so on.

Heres the good part, once you start getting somewhat comfortable with Spanish start joining in on the Italian forums, see the similarities.

Museum of Fine Arts always has films, presentations, events for an International crowd. Its all right here at your door step!

Here you are: www.20minutos.es

Reading or at least seeing images & trying is a start!

Un fuerte abrazo y ciao! ^_^

Thanks Vert!

There are numerous online (free) forums to start viewing and learning easily. Best part is most are in both English & Spanish. The persons responding are aware that others want to grasp so they do in both languages. Thats is what I do as a courtesy to the viewer.

Notes from Spain.com (caters to all ages/professions)

Berberber.com (mostly college age group)

Skyscrapercity.com (all ages)

I buy bullfight DVD's and not only get great entertainment but the media is there constantly interviewing the celebs & crowds. My best advice is try to stay away from learning Texasish slang Spanish. We have butchered it up so bad it sounds "bad form" when conversing with an International group. As I mentioned before, I am involved in several non-profit orgs one of which caters to an International crowd so I am immersed in many from Spain/Argentina/Cuba/Colombia, etc. Our board are all PHD's that have taught language courses. When I am around them it encourages me to learn and I get to hear the proper pronounciations and so on.

Heres the good part, once you start getting somewhat comfortable with Spanish start joining in on the Italian forums, see the similarities.

Museum of Fine Arts always has films, presentations, events for an International crowd. Its all right here at your door step!

Here you are: www.20minutos.es

Reading or at least seeing images & trying is a start!

Un fuerte abrazo y ciao! ^_^

Erre con erre cigarro

Erre con erre carril

Rapido corren los carros del ferro carril.

REPEAT :)

:angry2:

So should I be attempting to roll the r's when saying this or not...or will it eventually come natural? The thing is, I can roll my r's with my tongue touching the middle to back of the roof of my mouth, but not when my tongue is at the front behind the teeth. When I try to do it correctly it's just like I'm hissing, grrrrr

In all honesty, make an attempt to become pals with at least 1 or 2 people that you see often that know Spanish or at least know conversational Spanish. This is the best way to hear "live" how to pronounce. Obviously there are CD's you can hear while driving and so on but there is nothing like the real thing.

For basic translations online try : www.Wordreference.com

You can also Google and type in "Common phrases in Spanish" and find a wealth of info.

Cursing someone out in Spanish or other languages can be amazing too...hee hee. :blush:

Here are some in another language and you can only guess the rest (dont take this personal of course)

Fileo de putana! Madre fanculo! Bastardo

(this was just a test) :)

So should I be attempting to roll the r's when saying this or not...or will it eventually come natural? The thing is, I can roll my r's with my tongue touching the middle to back of the roof of my mouth, but not when my tongue is at the front behind the teeth. When I try to do it correctly it's just like I'm hissing, grrrrr

it just takes time...just remember that the rr and all initial r's should be rolled.

In all honesty, make an attempt to become pals with at least 1 or 2 people that you see often that know Spanish or at least know conversational Spanish. This is the best way to hear "live" how to pronounce. Obviously there are CD's you can hear while driving and so on but there is nothing like the real thing.

For basic translations online try : www.Wordreference.com

You can also Google and type in "Common phrases in Spanish" and find a wealth of info.

Cursing someone out in Spanish or other languages can be amazing too...hee hee. :blush:

Here are some in another language and you can only guess the rest (dont take this personal of course)

Fileo de putana! Madre fanculo! Bastardo

(this was just a test) :)

Thanks again.

And also, my mom and her entire family speaks spanish fluently so I have plenty of people to practice with :) The hard part is actually doing it hehe

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks again.

And also, my mom and her entire family speaks spanish fluently so I have plenty of people to practice with :) The hard part is actually doing it hehe

I speak spanish...But sometimes i have no clue what people are saying. You certainly don't want to learn the penelope cruz spanish.

When rolling your Rs your tongue should be pressed on the sides against the bottom of your top molars on both sided and the tip just touching the palate just above your front teeth. When you roll your Rs the tip of your tongue will automatically vibrate and give you the RRRR sound. As it starts to vibrate you can manipulate the tip to give you a more pronounced roll.

joe

When rolling your Rs your tongue should be pressed on the sides against the bottom of your top molars on both sided and the tip just touching the palate just above your front teeth. When you roll your Rs the tip of your tongue will automatically vibrate and give you the RRRR sound. As it starts to vibrate you can manipulate the tip to give you a more pronounced roll.

joe

I have the same problem with lockmat - I just tried that too and mine sounded like hissing as well. My tongue didn't really vibrate at all. If anyone else has any other thoughts, I'd love to learn that as well.

I have the same problem with lockmat - I just tried that too and mine sounded like hissing as well. My tongue didn't really vibrate at all. If anyone else has any other thoughts, I'd love to learn that as well.

Some people have learn how by saying my name...Alberto (Al bear tho )

I'm guessing it can be learned by saying any word which needs an R rolled. The key is to keep practicing. There are even native spanish speakers who couldn't do it until they were older in age and some who even as adults can't do it very well, or as well as others.

• The title was changed to Learning Different Languages

Archived