Construction On Yale St.

tmariar

I got the below meeting notice over the weekend. Does anyone have more information about the plans for Yale? I wasn't even aware of the tree plantings.

---------

More than 250 live-oaks on Yale Street are in jeopardy.

Meeting:

Tuesday, April 7th 6:30 pm

Fire Station / 12th & Yale

Held by:

Living in Tandem with Trees in the Heights

NOW & NEXT

Houston Heights Association

Urban Forestry Committee

The City of Houston is currently in the design phase of Phase

One (I-10 to 17th St.) . The intent is to reconstruct and

potentially widen Yale street which would cause the

destruction of more than 250 live-oaks.

The Trees for Yale Project was sponsored by the Greater Heights

Chamber of Commerce and was part of the "Heights Now" Plan for

re-development of the Main Street District. We started in 1986

and some five hundred (500) live-oaks were planted on both

sides of Yale Street through Trees for Houston. This incredible

effort raised more than $90,000 from the neighbors! Our dream

for Yale St. was that it be a beautiful tree-lined

thoroughfare. This tree-lined street fronts and shades

residential properties in our recently designated Heights'

Historic district. The street serves a number of locally owned

small businesses, a neighborhood park, historic homes as well

as a Landmark structure. This street enhances the character

that has made the Heights such a significant asset to the City

of Houston. After eighteen years of growth, we simply cannot

watch this legacy be destroyed.

Find out how you can help by contacting:

Debra Broman, Chairperson, Trees for Yale

debrabroman@sbcglobal.net

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yale doesn't need to be widened, just repaved!! Hell, it would even be fine if they 3 laned it with the middle lane being a turn lane like Studewood. The trees are way better than what would be gained from widening it a few feet. Dumb.

Yale doesn't need to be widened, just repaved!! Hell, it would even be fine if they 3 laned it with the middle lane being a turn lane like Studewood. The trees are way better than what would be gained from widening it a few feet. Dumb.

ditto. just give it a thorough repaving from one end to the other - no more patching. The patching is what makes it crappy.

cip for yale. go to page 5. this sounds like it may be it.

Perhaps it's not widening, but new sidewalks and curbs (or underground utilities, in which case I don't see the trees being saved) that will get the trees. While those are definitely needed, could they not get creative and go around trees? Or throw some dirt on the roots and have small humps to pad the roots? It would be a shame to lose the trees.

cip for yale. go to page 5. this sounds like it may be it.

Thanks.

It would be a shame to lose the trees.

I hate seeing trees - esp. Live Oaks - lost anywhere in town. In this case, it sounds like the neighborhood also has some money sunk in the trees. I do wonder, though, how big the trees are now if they were just planted in the 80's...

To be honest, I never noticed the trees along Yale Street. Maybe that was because I was so repulsed by some of the ugliness of many of the houses and buildings along that route. If widening Yale could somehow improve those structures, it might be worth the loss of the trees, which can be replaced, you know.

To be honest, I never noticed the trees along Yale Street. Maybe that was because I was so repulsed by some of the ugliness of many of the houses and buildings along that route. If widening Yale could somehow improve those structures, it might be worth the loss of the trees, which can be replaced, you know.

widening the road won't make anyone improve their property. all it will do is tear down the trees that help obscure some of the ugliness.

widening the road won't make anyone improve their property. all it will do is tear down the trees that help obscure some of the ugliness.
Well, what if thay made the street 6 lanes wide? Maybe that would be enough to take out much of the blight?

:lol:

I live at 11th and Yale and would like to give my 2 cents.

Just to start, I cannot see the city removing trees just to repave some sidewalks. Before jumping to conclusions I think the entire city construction details and schedule should be found. I for one would love to see the street turned into something along the lines of Studewood if only for the sole reason that I don't have people zipping by my house at 50+ MPH trying to get past the "slow people" going 35... The road is one of the worst in Houston (besides maybe Shepherd between I-10 and West Gray) and is in need of some sort of replacement and I think I could live with them taking down a couple of trees to bury powerlines and then replant. I'll be at the meeting tomorrow night but if its just a bunch of unorganized people that are jumping to conclusions I don't think the city will listen to them.

D

I live at 11th and Yale and would like to give my 2 cents.

Just to start, I cannot see the city removing trees just to repave some sidewalks. Before jumping to conclusions I think the entire city construction details and schedule should be found. I for one would love to see the street turned into something along the lines of Studewood if only for the sole reason that I don't have people zipping by my house at 50+ MPH trying to get past the "slow people" going 35... The road is one of the worst in Houston (besides maybe Shepherd between I-10 and West Gray) and is in need of some sort of replacement and I think I could live with them taking down a couple of trees to bury powerlines and then replant. I'll be at the meeting tomorrow night but if its just a bunch of unorganized people that are jumping to conclusions I don't think the city will listen to them.

D

I agree, I would rather see a Studewood type setup, with three lanes, 2 main and one turning. People fly down Yale and I have almost been hit more than once when crossing at 14th and Yale by people who attempt to run the red.

Home in the Heights blogger, Martin Hajovsky, recently posted this on Chron.com.

Yale resident and longtime Heights volunteer Debra Broman is sounding the alarm about the possible destruction of the live oak trees that line Yale Street from Interstate 10 to Loop 610. According to Broman, a former Heights Association Citizen of the Year, the city's plans to widen the street pose a serious danger to these trees, almost all of which were planted by volunteers, including Broman, in the 1980s.

No matter what you think about the need for Yale to be resurfaced (I know I for one am tired the poor quality of that road), this is an issue that does affect the quality of life in the Heights. A tree-lined thoroughfare is what we have and what I want to continue to see on that street. I definitely do not want to see North Sheperd or Durham redux.

Can the street be resurfaced without widening it? Those who were involved in the Studewood resurfacing a few years ago (photo of that experience above), your expertise in that process might be needed here. One thing I do know is that these public comment periods are valuable and the city does indeed listen. You may not save the trees with action, but inaction will definitely doom them.

A discussion on this issue will be held at the Houston Heights Association's Urban Forestry Committee meeting 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Heights Fire Station, 207 West 12th at Yale.

Ok here is a little more meat around the situation on are facing pertaining to Yale.

1. The city is only at 15% of the "planning/design" phase.

2. The preliminary plans called for a 44' four lane street.

3. Utilities and sidewalks are not in the scope as of yet.

4. They recognize the concern of the residents of the Heights and are taking a "conservative" approach toward the trees.

5. They are looking at Yale as a future "main" thoroughfare with connection to I-10.

6. They plan to keep residents and all concerned parties in the loop and will listen to our wants and ideas (next meeting is in one month).

7. This will affect streets off of Yale and the surrounding area by making the land much more attractive to large scale developers.

8. The ground breaking for this project is slated for Oct. 2009.

That being said, here is a little background.

1. Currently Yale is 40'-42' wide.

2. Most of the trees (20+ year old Live Oaks) are 1' to 2' away from the street.

3. The current preliminary scope would potentially remove 250-290 trees (including the 2 in my front yard).

4. The traffic flow and density are projected to signifigantly increase due to projects such as the apartments on 19th and more densly packed townhomes in the area. Think, where there used to be 1 home, the land area can now house 3 townhouses or 10-15 apartments.

I think I put down everything I absorbed last night. If there is something I forgot to mention please correct or add.

In a nut shell, we all recognize the need for Yale to be fixed, however, we need everyone's voice/ideas/input to come up with a compromise that will work for the both the CoH and the residents of the Heights.

D

thanks! that is great information. frankly, i think we have enough "main thoroughfares" to 610- shepherd and studewood/main. they already cause a lot of issues with ppl speeding through the side streets and not obeying the traffic signs/lights. i am not in favor of making it easier for people who live OTL to use our neighborhood as a cut through.

As I understood it in the meeting the other night, that is a point (Yale as a main thouroughfare) that the city is not willing to bend on... I agree with you however, I would like to see it used only for neighborhood traffic and the speed limits enforced. I shouldnt have to sprint across the road to avoid being hit by a car zooming past at 60MPH.

I got the below meeting notice over the weekend. Does anyone have more information about the plans for Yale? I wasn't even aware of the tree plantings.

tmariar, how did you receive the notice over the weekend? Just trying to figure out how we can get on the distribution list for items such as this.

Thanks....and, for the record, I agree that Yale is already a speedway as it stands now. I'd support a Studewood-type roadwork project, as that makes the most sense for what is still a neighborhood. When we walk the pooches to the Heights blvd trail, we're amazed at the speed some people are driving down Yale, and have seen several collisions at Yale and just about every cross street. If they claim they need another route from 610 to I-10, it seems like Durham/Shepherd, Main, I-45 (and to a lesser degree Studewood) should already cover these needs....just my two cents.

SaintCyr: Thanks for the additional information.

Poyea: Oh man, I subscribe to so many different things that I think I got the notice a couple of different ways. But I know that one of them was from the Sunset Heights Civic Club. They must have a sign-up for email updates on their site. There's a list (with links) of Heights sites and Heights-area civic group pages in the right column of the Heights Blog.

Any further feedback from the meetings that you can share? It is disturbing to hear that the city wants to make another main thoroughfare on Yale. I like the fact that Yale doesn't have freeway access--I don't see the city leaving that situation as-is if it is going to invest money in expanding Yale's capacity.

As I see it, Shepherd/Durham have 8 lanes of traffic between the Loop and I-10. That should be enough for the area east of Shepherd to I-45. I hope the Heights Association is active in addressing this.

As I see it, Shepherd/Durham have 8 lanes of traffic between the Loop and I-10. That should be enough for the area east of Shepherd to I-45. I hope the Heights Association is active in addressing this.

That's a distance of over two and a half miles with tens of thousands of residents. I am afraid I must disagree with you. I drive both Yale and Shepherd to head north when I-45 is backed up...like every afternoon from 3 to 8. Yale is a much needed thoroughfare. And, it is beat to crap, as well. I hope they can work around the tree issue, but it very much needs to be repaved.

Red, I am not sure how that impacts what I said? Yale is important to the residents and I use it as well. That doesn't necessarily mean that it needs to be widened to 4 lanes to handle traffic from outside the Heights.

No one who lives on the east side of Studemont is going to drive over to Yale to take it north or south, so the 2.5 mile distance isn't really that meaningful.

Red, I am not sure how that impacts what I said? Yale is important to the residents and I use it as well. That doesn't necessarily mean that it needs to be widened to 4 lanes to handle traffic from outside the Heights.

No one who lives on the east side of Studemont is going to drive over to Yale to take it north or south, so the 2.5 mile distance isn't really that meaningful.

Anyone heading north during rush hour who wishes to skip the gridlock on I-45 (like me) will find a rebuilt Yale Street very useful. Granted, I have no idea how many people that may include, but I at least appreciate the option. The bigger issue as far as the trees would be the intent to widen the lanes from 10 feet to 11 feet. Wider lanes would increase the speed of the cars on Yale, as drivers will feel safer doing so. This would also take out the trees. THAT proposal, we can both agree is not necessarily an improvement. Cars already managed 35 mph, and many drive faster. A wider street would make it worse.

Anyone heading north during rush hour who wishes to skip the gridlock on I-45 (like me) will find a rebuilt Yale Street very useful. Granted, I have no idea how many people that may include, but I at least appreciate the option. The bigger issue as far as the trees would be the intent to widen the lanes from 10 feet to 11 feet. Wider lanes would increase the speed of the cars on Yale, as drivers will feel safer doing so. This would also take out the trees. THAT proposal, we can both agree is not necessarily an improvement. Cars already managed 35 mph, and many drive faster. A wider street would make it worse.

if they timed the light on shepherd, it would be better. use that as the main way to get to 610 with studewood as additional support when needed. yale is a main street yes, and good for people in the heights to use as our own little short cut, but we don't need the city making it prime speedway for every one in the city to cut through when it's already busy enough. i'm not saying it doesn't need to be repaved- it certainly does! but i just think every north/south going street in the heights doesn't need to be a traffic cut through to 610.

if they timed the light on shepherd, it would be better. use that as the main way to get to 610 with studewood as additional support when needed. yale is a main street yes, and good for people in the heights to use as our own little short cut, but we don't need the city making it prime speedway for every one in the city to cut through when it's already busy enough. i'm not saying it doesn't need to be repaved- it certainly does! but i just think every north/south going street in the heights doesn't need to be a traffic cut through to 610.

Just think of loss of live oak trees on Kirby x 5 which was to accommodate Hummers and Escalades on the streets. Yale does not need this. It will split the Heights into two separate areas and kill the neighborhood. I live just south of that area and I have way too many ways to get to 610 North loop fast. The city can better use these funds i.e. re-paving or something better like re-doing the White Oak Bayou and get rid of concrete side there. (See what Austin did to it's creeks instead of concrete).

All this talk aside, how do we stop this? Media attention? Figuring out political interest on who is getting the construction contracts? We need powerful politicians on our side like South Hampton & West U area have fighting the Ashbury highrise.

Irfan

I'm really torn on the issue. I'm less than a block east of Yale and so it is my main north/south route. A resurface is definitely needed, but I'm not so sure about widening. The loss of trees would be a major drawback and I don't think it would be good to widen it if they'd be doing so with the idea that they can increase the speed limit. However, I think the neighborhood might benefit if increased traffic enhances the street's attractiveness to commerce. I mean it's mostly commercial already, but looks so run-down in spots that some desirable businesses might be scared off.

And while I'd personally be OK with it being done as a three lane like Studewood, I think there is too much traffic and too much turning on Yale for that option to be really practical. One thing I think they should consider if they widen it, is to add signal lights at more intersections to cut down on folks barreling through. Of course, I barrel through at 40 MPH myself and grumble when I get caught at a light, but I'm not such a princess that I think the city planners should cater to my routine.

If they end up cutting trees and widening it and succeed in making it a major thoroughfare, it will certainly change the character of the neighborhood. If that happens, I'll grieve with the rest of you guys, but in the long run we may all come to the conclusion that it was a good thing.

Ok here is a little more meat around the situation on are facing pertaining to Yale.

1. The city is only at 15% of the "planning/design" phase.

2. The preliminary plans called for a 44' four lane street.

3. Utilities and sidewalks are not in the scope as of yet.

4. They recognize the concern of the residents of the Heights and are taking a "conservative" approach toward the trees.

5. They are looking at Yale as a future "main" thoroughfare with connection to I-10.

6. They plan to keep residents and all concerned parties in the loop and will listen to our wants and ideas (next meeting is in one month).

7. This will affect streets off of Yale and the surrounding area by making the land much more attractive to large scale developers.

8. The ground breaking for this project is slated for Oct. 2009.

That being said, here is a little background.

1. Currently Yale is 40'-42' wide.

2. Most of the trees (20+ year old Live Oaks) are 1' to 2' away from the street.

3. The current preliminary scope would potentially remove 250-290 trees (including the 2 in my front yard).

4. The traffic flow and density are projected to signifigantly increase due to projects such as the apartments on 19th and more densly packed townhomes in the area. Think, where there used to be 1 home, the land area can now house 3 townhouses or 10-15 apartments.

I think I put down everything I absorbed last night. If there is something I forgot to mention please correct or add.

In a nut shell, we all recognize the need for Yale to be fixed, however, we need everyone's voice/ideas/input to come up with a compromise that will work for the both the CoH and the residents of the Heights.

D

Regarding #5, why not keep Shepherd Dr./Durham as the main thoroughfare to I-10???

Regarding #5, why not keep Shepherd Dr./Durham as the main thoroughfare to I-10???

I come north on Shepherd most days, from Vermont to almost north loop, and it doesn't really get that backed up except at the light at north loop. I think that one isn't timed very well and is too short in all directions. Other than that, I basically fly up Shepherd, even though it's crowded it still moves. I don't think Yale needs more traffic, just a face lift. I think traffic might even move faster if it were 3-laned, then the left turners would cause less of a disruption than they do now. And of course, destroy that light at 14th st. That light was created only to piss me off, both at Yale and at Durham it is ALWAYS timed wrong.

Archived