Neato Houston Chron Then & Now

wxman

Came across this in the Chronicle today. Thought it was pretty neat. Look at post #6. I just can't phathom having to do that today. Here's an excerpt:

Nearly four hours' warning and the evacuation of a half million residents kept total casualties down to 45,000 dead and 76,000 injured in the simulated enemy attack. Civil Defense officials estimated that the number of dead would rise to 66,660 in 48 hours, but the total number of casualties was only about 122,000.

http://blogs.chron.com/bayoucityhistory/then_now/

Edited by wxman

I would have never know #16 and #4 were at those locations. Why would they tear down the entire urban neighborhood in picture #4?

I wonder if you could go back in time and tell people from the past the future, would they still act on tearing so much historical buildings down and would they have built Houston a rail transit?

I would have never know #16 and #4 were at those locations. Why would they tear down the entire urban neighborhood in picture #4?

I wonder if you could go back in time and tell people from the past the future, would they still act on tearing so much historical buildings down and would they have built Houston a rail transit?

Reguarding #4, if you look at the satalite images on google maps you can see alot of the concrete foundations still present which makes me think that the buildings were razed due to fire.

Reguarding #4, if you look at the satalite images on google maps you can see alot of the concrete foundations still present which makes me think that the buildings were razed due to fire.

Apparently not now, but the concrete foundation of the I&GN Station (#10) used to be visible. The rounded tower on the left was very apparent.

You may want to consult the historic aeriels site, as well. It shows you (within a yr. range) when particular bldgs. or objects disappear.

I think they are neat to compare the differences. Some are not much different,

as with the one with the tree lined street. Most of the trees are the same, and

easily identifiable. Just got bigger..

But some, like the one at Lyons at Jensen are like different places. :/

Weird to see an area that was once so bustling, turn into basically a field

with streets running through it.

I've got one neat pair somewhere in my collection. It's comparing a

picture taken during the civil war on a river, maybe around Harpers Ferry.

I forgot.. But it's on a river. But I have it, and then another one taken

in the same place in recent years. Quite a difference in those.

But.. I think you can see some of the small trees in the old pictures

become some of the old trees in the newer picture. Some are in about

the right locations to match. I'd have to dig them out again..

Would probably take a while to find them both.. I have hundreds and

hundreds of old pix on my drives.. :/ It can take a while to weed through

them, even using thumbnails.

• The title was changed to Neato Houston Chron Then & Now