Internet Explorer 8 now available

• 4 weeks later...
60.48% of HAIFers use Internet Explorer to HAIF.

So 60.48% of HAIFers haven't discovered Firefox then? :lol:

In that Wall Street Journal review, the reviewer specifically mentioned it wasn't as fast as Firefox, but certain features had been ramped up and were preferable to Firefox. However despite that I think I'll stick with the Fox, it has let me down far less than IE in the past.

So 60.48% of HAIFers haven't discovered Firefox then? :lol:

In that Wall Street Journal review, the reviewer specifically mentioned it wasn't as fast as Firefox, but certain features had been ramped up and were preferable to Firefox. However despite that I think I'll stick with the Fox, it has let me down far less than IE in the past.

A good number (probably at least half) of HAIFers surf from work, which means many of them don't have a choice when it comes to their browser -- they're locked into what's approved by their corporate IT departments.

I think it sucks. It gets very finnicky with some websites for the simple reason that it doesn't like them. Considering that whatever new features it has are not earth shattering, the annoyance with it blocking sites and other nagging items makes me hate it.

I think it sucks. It gets very finnicky with some websites for the simple reason that it doesn't like them. Considering that whatever new features it has are not earth shattering, the annoyance with it blocking sites and other nagging items makes me hate it.

How do you mean "finnicky?" And how is it with HAIF?

It is fine with HAIF. With some sites, it claims they cannot be found, even though the sites come up fine in Safari. It also will not show sites previously visited after you close and reopen the browser. This may simply be a preference that someone else set, but I miss it, since I visit the same sites often, and usually find them in the address window.

Another 'finnicky' issue is the 'compatibility view', wherein IE8 has added features or software that makes older websites optimized for IE7 or earlier harder to load. It is annoying as hell, and the 'compatibility view' attempts to make it sound like it is the websites fault. Well, it was Microsoft that screwed up a perfectly fine working system, wasn't it!

Ditto. I have had nothing but problems with it. Luckily I use Opera as my primary browser.

• 2 weeks later...

I have found it to be very fast. There are some websites it won't initially open, but then it kicks in it's "compatibility" mode. Apparently websites made with "older" technology won't initially display, but if you push that compatibility button it opens fine. I had to do this with the baseball game cast thing on lsusports.net. I don't know why it just wouldn't automatically do what it needs to do to display any page. Does anyone know what exactly their separation is between "new" and "old" and why the default browsing doesn't like old sometimes?

Other than that, I like the look and the speed.

Archived