Houston As A World Class City

Guest Professional Hornblower

THE GaWC INVENTORY OF WORLD CITIES

Cities are ordered in terms of world city-ness with values ranging from 1- 12

A. ALPHA WORLD CITIES (full service world cities)

12: London, New York, Paris, Tokyo

10: Chicago, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, Los Angeles, Milan, Singapore

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B. BETA WORLD CITIES (major world cities)

9: San Francisco, Sydney, Toronto, Zurich

8: Brussels, Madrid, Mexico City, Sao Paulo

7: Moscow, Seoul

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C. GAMMA WORLD CITIES (minor world cities)

6: Amsterdam, Boston, Caracas, Dallas, D

No kidding. We beat out Miami and Atlanta by two ticks! Maybe someday we can make the leap into the beta category.

When it comes to this list, with all the development we're doing in town, what would get us to the BETA is one thing: MAD Public Transportation improvements. Apparently, mass transit is vital for this list.

Maybe someday we can make the leap into the beta category.

Both Dallas and Houston seem destined to garner more influence, prominence, world-sassyness or whatever you want to call it. The volume of business activity, population, regional/national/world connectivity, political clout are among the primary guages when this and other similar rankings are put together.

Basically, Houston makes the list because it's the World Energy Capitol, and Dallas makes the list because it's holds the focus of a very large and affluent trade area.

With a state population expected to double in less than 50 years, San Antonio and Austin may eventually be included.

To expedite an increased presence and higher regard within the world, city and State leaders should really be touting a packed Houston and Dallas. The singular focus from Houston's enormous energy industry combined with the wide ranging inventory from Dallas may be as complete an offering as exists outside of London, New York, Paris, Tokyo. The real trick will be politically finding ways for one city to fill the offerings gaps of the other. Texas our Texas bla bla bla

oh and - all the my city versus your city bashing would be much more tolerable

Its good rival fun! Almost all cities have it (I would imagine)

L.A./San Diego

(We got Hollywood/We got World Class Zoo-Seaworld)

Toronto/Vancouver

(We got Much Music and a filming mecca, CN Tower /We have MTV Canada and a better filming plus beautiful mountainous location)

NY/Boston

(I remember my friend HATES Boston when it comes to baseball or something I don't remember)

Houston/Dallas

(Let's NOT go there LOL)

Its sibling rivalry and yet it can only go so far before fun can turn into annoying.

This is also different the sister city relationships we have with our neighbors:

Houston/Galveston

Dallas/Ft.Worth

NY/NJ

El Paso/Las Cruces/Juarez (MEX)

San Diego/Tijuana (MEX)

maybe:

Vancouver WASH/Vancouver CAN

Hmm... I'm not aware of a Houston/Galveston rivalry.

Great Hizzy,

Houston and Galveston have had a classic rivalry that dates back to the late 1800's early 1900's. The Houston Ship Channel and the loaction of the railway hubs in Houston was primarily an effort to starve Galveston off as a trading center. It worked.

As is always the case with these types of "studies," the answer you get will depend on the question you ask, or on the way in which you ask the question. I'm looking at the full report to try to get some idea of the methodology (i.e., how they define and measure "world city-ness.") But in the meantime... Overall, the results look pretty reasonable, but I'm curious how Dallas even rates as highly as Houston. Their international airport traffic is nowhere near Houston's, Dallas has no port, and Dallas is not even close to Houston's leauge when it comes to foreign country consulates. Surely, all of those would be factored in to any measurement of "world city-ness," would they not?

World city

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

(Redirected from World City)

London

Paris

New York

Tokyo

A world city, or a world-class city, is a city with a set of somewhat subjective traits which often include the following:

International familiarity (or "first-name" familiarity

Guest danax
I guess I have to get to Milan. I never would have thought it rated amongst the rest of those upper teir cities. All it makes me think of is History and Shopping.

I guess air pollution doesn't factor in, or maybe it's a positive. I hear Milan's is world-class.

Great Hizzy,

Houston and Galveston have had a classic rivalry that dates back to the late 1800's early 1900's. The Houston Ship Channel and the loaction of the railway hubs in Houston was primarily an effort to starve Galveston off as a trading center. It worked.

Well, that I'm aware of but I was more thinking along the lines of the banter, pot shots and digs taken by rival cities. I don't sense much of that. For one thing, Galveston is so much smaller. It would seem apropos for Galveston and Texas City to have a neighborhood rivalry.

Of course, I've only lived here for nearly six years so I'm sure that I'm in the dark overall.

Overall, the results look pretty reasonable, but I'm curious how Dallas even rates as highly as Houston.  Their international airport traffic is nowhere near Houston's, Dallas has no port, and Dallas is not even close to Houston's leauge when it comes to foreign country consulates.

Business connections

oy!! Sister Cities (NOT Rivalries)...hard to explain but the cities are so close they are more like neighbors then rivals. The tend to feed off one another not in population but maybe in tourist attractions.

Dallas/Ft.Worth -Big City to Stockyards

El Paso/Juarez-U.S. to Mexico (same for San Diego and Tijuana)

I am sorry I am VERY overtired and pissed off. My FU#$(#$ CABLE WENT OUT AGAIN THANKS TO TIME WARNER AND I WONT BE GETTING IT ON AGAIN PROBABLY UNTIL NEXT TUESDAY!

I have been at work for longer then 12 hours and the last thing I wanted to come home to WAS THIS!

(stupid cable being out!)

Like I said I'm sorry I didn't make sense!

oy!! Sister Cities (NOT Rivalries)...hard to explain but the cities are so close they are more like neighbors then rivals. The tend to feed off one another not in population but maybe in tourist attractions.

Dallas/Ft.Worth -Big City to Stockyards

El Paso/Juarez-U.S. to Mexico (same for San Diego and Tijuana)

I am sorry I am VERY overtired and pissed off. My FU#$(#$ CABLE WENT OUT AGAIN THANKS TO TIME WARNER AND I WONT BE GETTING IT ON AGAIN PROBABLY UNTIL NEXT TUESDAY!

I have been at work for longer then 12 hours and the last thing I wanted to come home to WAS THIS!

(stupid cable being out!)

Like I said I'm sorry I didn't make sense!

My condolenses go out to BayouCityGirl's cable box and to Dallas for not nearly being as kick-ass as Houston. Our thoughts go to both of you :P

since I don't have a cable box, my apt pays for it (I don't care if its in the rent or not I got cheap rent here) and as far as Warner Cable goes I'll tell them where to friggan go!

I started to but customer service told me to stop cursing at them.

You know Warner Cable Employees are at home with the kids watching DirecTV enjoying the fav Friday night lineups. If there is a problem they call out a TV MAX repairman. I mean would you want one of YOUR own fixing your cable when you can't even fix others as part of your job?

okay sorry after this I'll go OT! (On Topic)