The demise of Yelp

Is it over for Yelp?

A couple of weeks ago I read an article alleging that Yelp salespeople were manipulating business reviews in exchange for ad sales. They allegedly approached businesses and told them that if they bought ads on Yelp that they would get good reviews or have their positive reviews moved up. If they didn't buy, they'd get negative reviews or see their positive reviews removed.

Several business told that San Francisco newspaper that it happened to them.

At the time I shrugged it off as possibly the world of one or two rogue Yelp salespeople. But then earlier this week there was an article in the New York Times about the same thing happening in New York.

Now there's an article in the Chicago Tribune where restaurant owners were told to cater Yelp parties for free in exchange for positive reviews.

Bad news seems to travel faster than good news on the social internet, so I can't help but wonder if Yelp's days are numbered.

I know there are a bunch of Yelpers on HAIF. So, does anyone have any thoughts on what's going on?

Is it over for Yelp?

A couple of weeks ago I read an article alleging that Yelp salespeople were manipulating business reviews in exchange for ad sales. They allegedly approached businesses and told them that if they bought ads on Yelp that they would get good reviews or have their positive reviews moved up. If they didn't buy, they'd get negative reviews or see their positive reviews removed.

Several business told that San Francisco newspaper that it happened to them.

At the time I shrugged it off as possibly the world of one or two rogue Yelp salespeople. But then earlier this week there was an article in the New York Times about the same thing happening in New York.

Now there's an article in the Chicago Tribune where restaurant owners were told to cater Yelp parties for free in exchange for positive reviews.

Bad news seems to travel faster than good news on the social internet, so I can't help but wonder if Yelp's days are numbered.

I know there are a bunch of Yelpers on HAIF. So, does anyone have any thoughts on what's going on?

Nooooooooooo - I heart Yelp! But, with the info in the article, my opinion is now jaded a bit. I always check places out before I visit on that site. Way to ruin it for us all, greedy Yelp people!

I have noticed that the alleged Yelp extortion practices have been a hot topic in the online food/restaurant community for months now. Especially NYC and San Francisco.

Yeah, I think restaurant reviews are over-rated. I have had perfectly good experiences at restaurants where others have panned the place. I am not sure about Yelp's practices but good restaurants willd develop a following with or without them.

I've had very interesting experiences with Yelp in the past. They asked me to interview for their Community Manager position and during the course of the interview process, about a million alarm bells went off in my head. The events that they put on have absolutely no budget, so you really do have to finagle your way into getting a free venue, free food, free booze, etc. And what do you think you have to offer in return to these places? Exactly. I'm not being all pearl-clutchy, but I was deeply bothered by that.

Yelp was an exciting concept at first, but companies can only skate by on venture capital investments for so long before they need to start turning a profit somehow. And that's where we find Yelp today. There have been other experiences that are probably left undiscussed on a forum, but suffice to say Yelp left me with a very bad taste in my mouth.

Yeah, I think restaurant reviews are over-rated. I have had perfectly good experiences at restaurants where others have panned the place. I am not sure about Yelp's practices but good restaurants willd develop a following with or without them.

Quite a few tourists use Yelp as a tool when it comes to try one place to eat over another. While it may seem silly for those of us that don't travel or set in our ways for food; it is a great way for business travelers or tourists to find a place to eat.

A couple of years back, someone asked about some of the apartment rating services, and many posts commented on the fact that the apartment managers would fluff the ratings and reviews of their apartment complexes. Of course, that dilutes the validity of the reviews, so the site is of dubious value. Then, about a year ago, I looked up a friend's restaurant on citysearch. She was getting terrible reviews. I looked it up a few months later and suddenly there were several 5 star reviews. What stuck out was the reviewer whose name conveniently consisted of the first 3 letters of my friend's name and her husband's name. Looking at the others, I saw other coincidental spellings. The final straw came last month when looking around for a new vet for my dogs. The reviews are either 5 star or 1 star. Nothing in between...and this is on the same vet!

In today's world, where politics and political punditry have become one-sided all-or-nothing fights, so have reviews and reviewers. How am I to tell if that 1 star review came from a drama queen who is furious that the vet didn't give out free treats, or if the vet misdiagnosed and nearly killed her dog? How do I tell if the vet's ex-husband is flooding the review site with bad reviews in an act of revenge, or if they really do give terrible service? How do I know if the reviewer is a reasonable person like myself, or is a perfectionist who over-dramatizes inconsequential points?

Because it is impossible to know the point of view of the reviewer, or even to know the motivation behind the review at all, I have discounted these sites for awhile. The advantage of the internet is also its bane...everyone can post. And this is a problem even BEFORE site owners start manipulating the reviews.

How bad is it if you use the internet for 4-6 hours daily, for at least the last 10 years, and never heard of Yelp?

It prob. means you either have SOME semblence of a life, or you don't go out of your internet comfort zone.

Don't feel bad, I havent heard of it until about 5 months ago.

I think all these iPhone apps and others on mobile devices are going to be the demise of one another. It's like wolves fighting to the death.

There's Yelp on iPhone? Who knew! I've only Yelped from the computer.

the yelpers i've met are very conscientious about keeping identities secret and giving objective reviews. of course, once you've yelped about a business and someone recognizes your picture, you can no longer yelp about that business. if there are unscrupulous yelpers out there, it hurts the yelp community. i doubt the yelp organization allows manipulation in exchange for yelp events. that defeats the whole purpose. yelp is irrelevant if this were true and the founders know it. the local houston yelp community has been organizing secret "yelp offs" that meet at an unsuspecting business, have fun and then everyone goes home to write about it..good or bad. the goal is to find consensus.

i'm aware that yelp employees have been fired for not following proper guidelines.

i hope the news going around isn't indicative of the greater yelp community.

I concur. Only, I wish that they included more reviews on taco stands and other holes-in-the-wall for us unemployed budget-minded sorts.

if you're on the se side (s wayside and 610) or (howard and 45s), check out the laredo taco places in the chevrons. the s wayside one usually sells out by 1 or 2 but the one on howard switches from breakfast tacos to other tacos throughout the day. PLUS, no store bought tortillas like el rey, etc.

Because it is impossible to know the point of view of the reviewer, or even to know the motivation behind the review at all, I have discounted these sites for awhile. The advantage of the internet is also its bane...everyone can post. And this is a problem even BEFORE site owners start manipulating the reviews.

The solution is to create a web site where people review the review sites! Then we'll all know what to believe without any effort, and for very little money.

Of course, some might see a flaw in that logic, since the meta-review site could be manipulated just like a review site, but I've thought of that! Since the site that reviews sites that review things is also a site that reviews things, it will review itself. So you can always check the meta-review site to see if the meta-review site is trustworthy. Which it will not be.

Archived