Metro approves $1.46 Billion for 20 miles of light rail

editor

I don't care who does or doesn't take me seriously and I'm definitely not on some mission to get random people on the internet to agree with me.

I simply made a prediction which will be borne out in due time. For the sake of the city of Houston I hope I am wrong.

The issue of which cities are Gen-Y friendly really should have been an easy one, but unfortunately the culture of superficiality and self-absorption seems to have pervaded even those places, and more importantly the speculators/glory hunters seem to have pre-emptively run Gen Y out ahead of time. So I don't have an easy answer -- sorry! -- I guess we'll all just have to wait and see :)

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't care who does or doesn't take me seriously and I'm definitely not on some mission to get random people on the internet to agree with me.

I simply made a prediction which will be borne out in due time. For the sake of the city of Houston I hope I am wrong.

The issue of which cities are Gen-Y friendly really should have been an easy one, but unfortunately the culture of superficiality and self-absorption seems to have pervaded even those places, and more importantly the speculators/glory hunters seem to have pre-emptively run Gen Y out ahead of time. So I don't have an easy answer -- sorry! -- I guess we'll all just have to wait and see :)

I still think you're missing a substantial part of "the boat". As long as Houston is "Houston"... meaning a viable, affordable and transient city in which younger people can get out of college and start their professional life, Gen Y will be here. It's not like Gen Y is a small collection elitists that can only live in one city. Many Gen Y Houstonians may NOT want to stay here, but people from all over the world move to Houston on a daily basis b/c of the opportunities that the city affords.

And BTW, you should visit the East End sometime... go to an event at Talento Bilengue, catch a show at Bohemeo's, go on a mural tour, or go hear Opera Vista at the Barnevelder. All major parts of the Houston area arts scene... all in the EAST END.

On topic... the recent news of additional federal funding for the Southeast and North lines will help construction for the East End line... it frees up more money for METRO to use towards the other lines. And of course the East End line will merge with the Southeast Line going into downtown, so I'm glad they can start on that connection sooner.

If you are going to rent, and other places are just as affordable as Houston, why stick around here? If jobs are just as hard to find anywhere, and you get stuck doing retail (or attending community college) until the recession blows over, why not live in a place where you don't have to own a car and where the weather is nice?

..."where the weather is nice".....

Houston is definitely hot & humid for months out of each year. But some parts of our fine country get really, really cold--with snow piled up & icy streets. Weather that can actually kill you.

What are the competing cities that have (1) 12 months of perfect weather, (2) affordable prices, (3) excellent mass transit* & (4) jobs?

* Metro actually works for getting to school or most day jobs. Not so good for clubbing, though. (How often do you take the bus?)

Wall Street Journal yesterday had an article on youth magnets.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124242099361525009.html

According to their data between 2005 and 2007 only seven metropolitan areas added more college-educated migrants of any age than did Houston (with Austin and Dallas ahead). During the recession, between July 2007 and July 2008, Houston was one of only four places to still draw people along with Portland, Seattle and Denver. They explain it by high oil prices, so perhaps the same will happen again soon seeing that the prices started to rise again.

However, they admit that traditional youth magnets are losing their appeal as job markets. Some of the cities are successful at keeping up their appeal despite this. The main factors are apparently climate, natural beauty, universities, culture, nightlife and 'reputation as a cool place to live', whatever that is. I don't know about beauty and 'coolness', but the rest seems to apply to Houston.

As far as jobs right now Houston does not make the top ten

http://www.careercast.com/jobs/content/ten...ates-jobs-rated

New York is at the top and Washington, D.C. second, it is also high up in terms of affordability. The rest of top ten are also dense metropolitan areas, absence of Texas cities is noticeable. Things may change however when the recession is over. Even now economic factors are disregarded by many, see the WSJ article: "A lot of people figure there aren't jobs anywhere, so they might as well be where they want to be."

• 2 weeks later...
What are the competing cities that have (1) 12 months of perfect weather, (2) affordable prices, (3) excellent mass transit* & (4) jobs?

First of all, I'm not even sure where you're getting these criteria.

But assuming that such cities even exist, what makes you think Houston would be considered "competitive" with such places?

* Metro actually works for getting to school or most day jobs. Not so good for clubbing, though. (How often do you take the bus?)

All the time, but not nearly as often as I'd like. Why?

Wall Street Journal yesterday had an article on youth magnets.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124242099361525009.html

According to their data between 2005 and 2007 only seven metropolitan areas added more college-educated migrants of any age than did Houston (with Austin and Dallas ahead). During the recession, between July 2007 and July 2008, Houston was one of only four places to still draw people along with Portland, Seattle and Denver. They explain it by high oil prices, so perhaps the same will happen again soon seeing that the prices started to rise again.

However, they admit that traditional youth magnets are losing their appeal as job markets. Some of the cities are successful at keeping up their appeal despite this. The main factors are apparently climate, natural beauty, universities, culture, nightlife and 'reputation as a cool place to live', whatever that is. I don't know about beauty and 'coolness', but the rest seems to apply to Houston.

As far as jobs right now Houston does not make the top ten

http://www.careercast.com/jobs/content/ten...ates-jobs-rated

New York is at the top and Washington, D.C. second, it is also high up in terms of affordability. The rest of top ten are also dense metropolitan areas, absence of Texas cities is noticeable. Things may change however when the recession is over. Even now economic factors are disregarded by many, see the WSJ article: "A lot of people figure there aren't jobs anywhere, so they might as well be where they want to be."

I am afraid that you missed the point of that jobs article completely. The Top 10 list was not a list of cities with jobs, but rather a Wish List of where graduating students would LIKE to find a job. The 2nd article may lend credence to N Judah's claim that young job seekers do not want to come to Houston. However, the first article is proof that available jobs trumps trendy cities every time.

"Trumps" how, and for whose benefit?

The locations that people actually move to are an indicator of revealed preference, wherein peoples' priorities lead them to make the most all-around attractive choice for them as individuals. It is to the benefit of those that choose to move here that they move here.

If I could live anywhere on the planet earth, or even anywhere in Texas, and maintain a comfortable standard of living, it sure as hell wouldn't be Houston. It wouldn't be any of the cities on that list, either. But Houston has been good to me, and so here I am. If San Antonio or Austin could be so lucrative, I would move there.

Umm....everyone except for slackers and stoners, perhaps? :huh:

Did you read the article?

"I'm hopeful people will stick around," says Portland mayor Sam Adams. "Even if they come to my city without a job, it is still an economic plus."

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone else see the Advertisment METRO has at chron.com??

It says

"READY TO ROLL"

Let's Celebrate METROS "Heyday"

Metro is ready to break ground

All the Pieces are in Place -

Houston, we're ready to roll!

And then it sends you to a video link of them announcing it in May

http://www.ridemetro.org/News/Broadcast/Pr...onferences.aspx

Is this ad new??

Did anyone else see the Advertisment METRO has at chron.com??

It says

"READY TO ROLL"

Let's Celebrate METROS "Heyday"

Metro is ready to break ground

All the Pieces are in Place -

Houston, we're ready to roll!

And then it sends you to a video link of them announcing it in May

http://www.ridemetro.org/News/Broadcast/Pr...onferences.aspx

Is this ad new??

I think it is new. At least today is the first time I've noticed it.

I think it is new. At least today is the first time I've noticed it.

I agree, heres the pdf. for the Transit-News Journal

http://www.ridemetro.org/AboutUs/Publicati...ournal-0609.pdf

"METRO is ready to break ground on the North and Southeast Corridors,

continue work on the East End Line and anticipating the construction of the University and Uptown corridors."

"All the pieces are in place--Houston, we're ready to roll."

I thought that Mayor White's comments about groundbreaking ceremonies were very apt, and I'd have liked to have been privy to the actual comments instead of METRO's paraphrased interpretation of them.

The undertone of his comment signaled to me that he was basically refusing to attend a METRO groundbreaking where the ground hadn't already been broken. And I strongly suspect that this roots back to the ceremony that was held to commemorate the beginning of work on the East End line, where everyone in attendance was basically made to look like a jackass when actual construction work didn't begin for many months following the ceremony and is still not very intensive.

does getting money from the feds for the east and southeast lines increase the chances that the other lines will get built?

from the video, I was happy to hear that metro has made some purchases NOW for FUTURE stuff, to lock in the prices. And the idea of rewarding the companies AFTER construction is done, depending on how well they mitigated potentional problems is a great idea.

does getting money from the feds for the east and southeast lines increase the chances that the other lines will get built?

from the video, I was happy to hear that metro has made some purchases NOW for FUTURE stuff, to lock in the prices. And the idea of rewarding the companies AFTER construction is done, depending on how well they mitigated potentional problems is a great idea.

It was the north and southeast lines that got full funding. This does take some pressure off of METRO. As you recall, they got themselves in a budgetary quandary as a consequence of trying to hedge fuel prices at their peak. And their funding comes primarily from sales taxes, which are forecasted to decline. These were issues on their radar, and by eliminating a fairly significant portion of their capital outlays it should give them more leeway to execute the other projects that they are trying to take on concurrently. Maybe we'll finally see meaningful progress on Harrisburg.

I can't help but wonder what the Houston delegation of legislators gave up to achieve this kind of favoritism. I also wonder whether it is completely a done deal. Does a presidential recommendation constitute success, or is there another level of approval or oversight that has to be cleared?

EDIT: By chance, I noticed this quote in a Chronicle article from yesterday. Makes you wonder...

Speaking of stimulus funds, I gave you outdated information in last week’s column. Metro cannot use $30 million of federal stimulus funds on building the new light rail lines, despite what the agency had expected (and we had reported) earlier. In fact, none of the stimulus can be used on the future rail expansion. That’s because Metro doesn’t yet have final approval from the Federal Transit Administration for the planned North and Southeast rail lines.

It was the north and southeast lines that got full funding. This does take some pressure off of METRO. As you recall, they got themselves in a budgetary quandary as a consequence of trying to hedge fuel prices at their peak. And their funding comes primarily from sales taxes, which are forecasted to decline. These were issues on their radar, and by eliminating a fairly significant portion of their capital outlays it should give them more leeway to execute the other projects that they are trying to take on concurrently. Maybe we'll finally see meaningful progress on Harrisburg.

I can't help but wonder what the Houston delegation of legislators gave up to achieve this kind of favoritism. I also wonder whether it is completely a done deal. Does a presidential recommendation constitute success, or is there another level of approval or oversight that has to be cleared?

EDIT: By chance, I noticed this quote in a Chronicle article from yesterday. Makes you wonder...

The guy in the video said projections for sales tax was that they would decline but they have not, they've actually increased, as of now.

He also mentioned that 100 transit agencies were lined up to request federal funding and that only 5 projects received it. Houston got 2 of 5. Impressive

The guy in the video said projections for sales tax was that they would decline but they have not, they've actually increased, as of now.

No, not as of now. As of the end of the third quarter of last year. It takes a surprisingly long time for the State to put out reliable estimates of sales tax revenues at the local level. And that was basically our peak (here in Texas). Since that time, the consumer psychology and the business environment have deteriorated markedly. There was an article in the Chronicle just yesterday that pointed out that we've now shed more jobs in the past twelve months than in any other twelve-month period since the 80's. Sales tax collections have declined rapidly in previous local recessionary environments; there is good cause to believe that the same experience is being had right now.

He also mentioned that 100 transit agencies were lined up to request federal funding and that only 5 projects received it. Houston got 2 of 5. Impressive

On the face of it, yes. That would be impressive. But you'll also notice that he profusely thanks the local delegation of legislators. And he certainly doesn't go into the underlying merits of these lines, which frankly are peripheral to the core system and have dubious ridership projections, yet have been so well-received politically. I smell a back room deal. And I have to wonder at what our leverage was.

Back room deal or not, this is badass! I'm excited to see some construction!

I want to see integrity among our elected officials, but I smell a rat. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Moreover, I am not interested in diseased cellulite-ridden bad ass.

On the face of it, yes. That would be impressive. But you'll also notice that he profusely thanks the local delegation of legislators. And he certainly doesn't go into the underlying merits of these lines, which frankly are peripheral to the core system and have dubious ridership projections, yet have been so well-received politically. I smell a back room deal. And I have to wonder at what our leverage was.

I seem to recall a certain very vocal HAIF poster taking others to task for suggesting this same behavior on the part of a local Republican congressman. Might I challenge you in the same way that you challenged them?

Put up or shut up. :)

I seem to recall a certain very vocal HAIF poster taking others to task for suggesting this same behavior on the part of a local Republican congressman. Might I challenge you in the same way that you challenged them?

Put up or shut up. :)

I only smell a rat. I have not purported to have observed or documented it. I have neither named names, nor have I made specific accusations. That is very different from the thread that you're talking about where specific accusations were made by others based on a completely speculative or otherwise dubious evidence.

That I called those people out on a poorly-conceived and highly specific accusation does not mean that I am incapable of general suspicion, and nor should I be. A suspicious and vigilant citizenry is key to the maintenance of an effective representative government.

Pot, meet kettle.

Let me try to be more clear. Some people claimed in the thread you're referring to:

'Person A' was bribed by 'Entity B' to perform 'Act C'. The accusation was that there was impropriety, however evidence was circumstantial and no meaningful attempt was made to evaluate whether 'Act C' was not otherwise in the interests of either his constituency or the general public.

In contrast, my core argument is that:

In light of unlikely 'Event A' occurring, I consider the likelihood of impropriety to be high. Furthermore, I suspect that impropriety is more likely to be sourced to certain quarters of government than others, although it is unclear as to which individuals may or may not have participated.

I hope you can see the difference, here. I am broadly suspicious of many among a particular group of people but am not by any means willing to say that it was Sheila Jackson-Lee in the Conservatory with the Candlestick.

I hope you can see the difference, here.

Yes, the difference is clear. Transit agencies who get federal money for projects are suspicious. Republican congressmen who get money for highway projects are not. Thanks for clearing that up. I hadn't noticed that trend in your previous 10,100 posts.

Yes, the difference is clear. Transit agencies who get federal money for projects are suspicious. Republican congressmen who get money for highway projects are not. Thanks for clearing that up. I hadn't noticed that trend in your previous 10,100 posts.

You've missed the point. But I'm not going to get personal by pointing out how many posts you've got or that I should have come to expect this kind of behavior (when it's convenient to you) by now.

Here, I'll do it for you. I have nearly 10,000 posts, and am known on this forum to be in favor of mass transit. I also recognize that, while the poor will ride ANY transit, to expand ridership, a transit agency must offer modes that appeal to a wider range of people. I do not find METRO's success at obtaining federal funding to be nefarious, mostly because I do not find METRO itself nefarious.

Regardless what point you are TRYING to make, your disdain for METRO and its goals show in that you find fault in their every success...as well as their stumbles. Your opinions are tainted because of such views. Sorry if it offends you that the secret is out, but you haven't done a good job of hiding it. MY point still stands.

I will now abandon the thread so that you may furiously attempt to put the cat back into the bag. :rolleyes:

Here, I'll do it for you. I have nearly 10,000 posts, and am known on this forum to be in favor of mass transit. I also recognize that, while the poor will ride ANY transit, to expand ridership, a transit agency must offer modes that appeal to a wider range of people. I do not find METRO's success at obtaining federal funding to be nefarious, mostly because I do not find METRO itself nefarious.

Regardless what point you are TRYING to make, your disdain for METRO and its goals show in that you find fault in their every success...as well as their stumbles. Your opinions are tainted because of such views. Sorry if it offends you that the secret is out, but you haven't done a good job of hiding it. MY point still stands.

I will now abandon the thread so that you may furiously attempt to put the cat back into the bag. :rolleyes:

I fail to understand how one's perspective on a matter is more relevant than the interpretation of facts at hand. Just because one has bias does not necessarily mean that they are wrong.

I mean, at the very least, one would hope that a person's perspective is rooted in experience and reasoned opinion. And hopefully there's enough internal consistency that the opinion is expressed regularly and predictably. I have plenty such opinions (those expressed in this and other related threads among them) but do not understand why that should be held against me.

Archived