America's Emptiest Cities

America's Emptiest Cities

By Zack O'Malley Greenburg, Forbes.com

Feb 12th, 2009

Las Vegas edged Detroit for the title of America's most abandoned city. Atlanta came in third, followed by Greensboro, N.C., and Dayton, Ohio. Our rankings, a combination of rental and homeowner vacancy rates for the 75 largest metropolitan statistical areas in the country, are based on fourth-quarter data released Feb. 3 by the Census Bureau. Each was ranked on rental vacancies and housing vacancies; the final ranking is an average of the two.

Full Article: http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/americas...est-cities.html

1. Las Vegas

2. Detroit

3. Atlanta

I keep hearing how Atlanta is taking this recession really hard. Why is that? Is Atlanta an isolated incident in the south, or is it more common in the bigger southern cities and the media is just focusing on Atlanta?

I think its just the media. CNN is based there.

Okay, well why are things bottoming out for Atlanta? What's going on over there?

It got overbuilt to start with, and then the bottom fell out of the economy. It's kind of like Phoenix in a lot of ways. A lot of its growth was driven by activities that support growth. For instance, Home Depot is headquartered there, and they've made some pretty serious staffing cuts. Likewise, ad revenue for media is way, way down, so the Turner empire is having to become more lean. That probably does have something to do with the press about it...but it's not just press, it really is reflected in the data. Phoenix isn't on the list, but it's probably really close. And I'm surprised that Riverside isn't on the list. Miami is bad too.

1. Las Vegas

Well, they must have tons of hotels rooms open now, which means they may drop room rates to compensate.

Cheaper rooms means that all the nice hotel rooms will start become run down as the riff raff take over.

Edit: I thought this referenced all things, but it seems to cover only rentals and housing, not hotels.

NM.

Well, they must have tons of hotels rooms open now, which means they may drop room rates to compensate.

Cheaper rooms means that all the nice hotel rooms will start become run down as the riff raff take over.

Edit: I thought this referenced all things, but it seems to cover only rentals and housing, not hotels.

NM.

Forget the hotel, go rent out a nice hacienda on a golfcourse. Have the hotel you want to gamble at come pick you up in their limo.

Oh, and check out this arrogant jacka$$ !!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20090216/us_time/08599187977400

I think its just the media. CNN is based there.

?? So, did the media make up this high vacancy rate you first posted about?

It's clearly not just the media. I guess Atlanta has just been taking a lot of relatively unrelated hits recently. As Niche already mentioned, cutbacks at Home Depot and CNN/Turner. Plus some pretty huge hits from AT&T's buyout of Bell South, and some other major hits in the last year or so.

Recently there was a report on metro job gains and losses for 2008. Houston was the #1 gainer, adding 42,400 jobs. Atlanta lost 66,100 jobs, second worst to Detroit's loss of 67,700.

Recently there was a report on metro job gains and losses for 2008. Houston was the #1 gainer, adding 42,400 jobs. Atlanta lost 66,100 jobs, second worst to Detroit's loss of 67,700.

Wow. Those are some staggering numbers.

That ATL area job loss figure sounds familiar....

Even if the country hadn't experienced an economic catastrophe, Atlanta would have still shown up as one of the population centers with an excessive amount of dwellings. A lot of people have been moving to Atlanta, but not as fast as builders built. I was kinda surprised Dallas didnt make the list, until realizing that Forbes advertisorial piece on "empty" considered where people lived, rather than where they worked.

• 1 month later...

I was kinda surprised Dallas didnt make the list, until realizing that Forbes advertisorial piece on "empty" considered where people lived, rather than where they worked.

High office vacancy rates are not a good thing, but people walking away from mortgages and vacating apartments because there are no jobs is much worse for a city than empty offices. Dallas was conservative in building residential as compared to Florida, Atlanta and Vegas over the last decade. The city is poised to come out of the recession more quickly because it is not as overbuilt as others.

Archived