Apartments By Ford Foundation Project Or Similar?

In another area forum, it was mentioned that Ford Foundation did an "experiment" around FM 1960 by putting a bunch of section 8 type apartments in the area, then moving those kids into the once good Spring ISD schools. And how that action "killed" the area as far as the schools, shopping, and peoples' property values. This was something someone else said, I don't know the whole story.

I was wondering - is this happening anywhere else in the metro? Is there a way to find out? I just don't want to buy a home in a great looking subdivision, just to have something like that happen. I'm not insensitive to peoples' problems, but I think it's natural to want to protect my investment and have my kids at good schools when the property taxes in Houston are so high. By looking at nice subdivisions up on FM 1960 such as Olde Oaks, you would never think the schools (which are WITHIN the subdivision) could be ranked so poorly.

To be fair, there is not a newly developed apartment complex in the area that has been built without federal dollars attached. Thus any apartment complex (new) has to have "affordable" units available to the under privelaged. For the most part, the on site management does their best to screen the prospective tenants to insure their property does not turn into a blight on the community. The last time I checked the stats, the average unit in our area was renting for $1200 for a 2 bedroom unit. That tells me the budget for that same unit to a "section 8" tenant is around $900.00. And keep in mind that "section 8" just sets a threshold for the income levels, not the people attached to those income levels. There may be others that are more versed in this policy that can speak up. Don't look down your nose at those folks, because in light of the current economic situation, you could be next.

Here's the disclaimer: I was not directing that last statement at ANY ONE poster, just in general.

• The title was changed to Apartments By Ford Foundation Project Or Similar?

Archived