We Need A Border's Or Barnes And Noble In Katy

lmink

Does anyone else think it's strange that with all of the new construction going up around Katy, that they haven't built a Border's or Barnes and Noble book store? Seems like La Centerra would be a prime location for it...(or nearby at least)

Does anyone else think it's strange that with all of the new construction going up around Katy, that they haven't built a Border's or Barnes and Noble book store? Seems like La Centerra would be a prime location for it...(or nearby at least)

pffft, like you all really deserve a B&N or BDS. :P

Maybe a BAM, but that's all you gonna get.

Doesn't Katy Mills have a BAM already?

Times are tough for bookstores. Border's is keeping about a step ahead of bankruptcy. Not a lot of expansion going on.

I don't mean to sound derisive, but are there libraries out there now? I grew up in Katy and there was the library in town, otherwise we drove in to the Houston library branch on Memorial and Kirkwood.

Nah, the folks in the exurb of Katy need to learn to lighten up. That's what happens when a too many neo-con Republicans live in a single zip code. They forget how to not take themselves so seriously. :lol:

It sounds like people need to work on these 'jokes'.

Nah, the folks in the exurb of Katy need to learn to lighten up. That's what happens when a too many neo-con Republicans live in a single zip code. They forget how to not take themselves so seriously. :lol:

...did anyone from Katy, simply asking about a bookstore, deserve to be labeled neo-con Republicans? ...and if they were... does that mean that they should be denied the convenience of having a Barnes and Noble or Borders book store close by?

...and what part of town do you live, that gives you this kind of superior authority to talk down to others, thinly veiling your remarks, and those of others, as being a "joke" and that people need to not take themselves so seriously? Because... if you're living anywhere in or near Houston, from the inner loop to Sealy... we're all pretty much living in the arm pit of America. Can't really cast stones when we all live in the same glass house.

...did anyone from Katy, simply asking about a bookstore, deserve to be labeled neo-con Republicans? ...and if they were... does that mean that they should be denied the convenience of having a Barnes and Noble or Borders book store close by?

I understand. Your rights have been violated. No taxation without Barnes and Noble. Convenience delayed is convenience denied! It must be very traumatic.

Spend a relaxing 10 minutes or so driving through the reservoir/park and there is a Barnes and Noble right on the other side. If you live farther west there is books a milliion at Katy Mills. If you live closer to I-10 you might as well "book it" (ha ha) down I-10 to Town and Country Village where there is a Barnes and noble at the Beltway and Memorial Dr. If you are up near Clay they just built a new Barnes and Noble a few years ago at Hwy 529 and Hwy 6.

There are independent book sellers too. There is Katy Budget Books on Fry just north of I-10 that's really really good and has used books too. there is also a smaller bookstore at Villagio that I remember liking but i have only been in there a couple of times (since it is relatively new).

Times are tough for bookstores. Border's is keeping about a step ahead of bankruptcy. Not a lot of expansion going on.

I don't mean to sound derisive, but are there libraries out there now? I grew up in Katy and there was the library in town, otherwise we drove in to the Houston library branch on Memorial and Kirkwood.

There are many libraries in western Harris County.

The City of Katy has the Katy Library (5414 Franz Road), operated by Harris County. In some unincorporated areas of west Harris the county operates:

* Maud Marks: 1815 Westgreen Boulevard

* Katherine Tyra at Bear Creek: 16719 Clay Road

In addition, in Cinco Ranch Fort Bend County Libraries operates the Cinco Ranch Branch at 2620 Commercial Center Boulevard

There are many libraries in western Harris County.

The City of Katy has the Katy Library (5414 Franz Road), operated by Harris County. In some unincorporated areas of west Harris the county operates:

* Maud Marks: 1815 Westgreen Boulevard

* Katherine Tyra at Bear Creek: 16719 Clay Road

In addition, in Cinco Ranch Fort Bend County Libraries operates the Cinco Ranch Branch at 2620 Commercial Center Boulevard

C'mon you're missing the point. We're elitist, neo-con, fascists with no sense of humor, because we have the audacity to ask for a B&N. How dare you suggest an alternative?

We promise not to question our inferiority to those who live inside the loop again. :rolleyes:

C'mon you're missing the point. We're elitist, neo-con, fascists with no sense of humor, because we have the audacity to ask for a B&N. How dare you suggest an alternative?

We promise not to question our inferiority to those who live inside the loop again. :rolleyes:

Tee-hee! :P

The Barnes and Noble is in West Oaks Village (2450 State Highway 6) is in Katy ISD. There are no Borders within Katy ISD.

Perhaps you can ask Borders to build one in the City of Katy or someplace nearby.

No kidding. What an insult for people to suggest libraries... People who go to B&N, Borders, etc... are looking to BUY the books. A lot of the new stuff, right off the press. You don't buy books from a library like you do in a commercial bookstore. You can go to a library, in many cases, to get older/hard to find books, read them, turn them back in... it's different.

I'm still waiting to hear why neo-con, liberal-hating republicans, as well as liberal Democrats, atheists and Jews, who also live "out there" should be forced to drive for miles to a B&N...

I'm still waiting to hear why neo-con, liberal-hating republicans, as well as liberal Democrats, atheists and Jews, who also live "out there" should be forced to drive for miles to a B&N...

Like this?

The Barnes and Noble is in West Oaks Village (2450 State Highway 6) is in Katy ISD. There are no Borders within Katy ISD.

Perhaps you can ask Borders to build one in the City of Katy or someplace nearby.

As said earlier, why not ask Borders to build in the City of Katy? B&N may be reluctant as they have West Oaks. But Borders certainly has a gaping hole in the West Harris/North Fort Bend market.

Who's forcing you? You choose to live in an outlying area that is still developing, and while many familiar chains have made it out to your area, others have not. We're entering a recession and available construction credit has been severely constrained, even for good bets. I'm quite sure that B&N etc. are going to consider their own fiscal health ahead of ensuring that the good people of Katy don't have to drive a little over ten miles to get to one of their retail establishments.

Stomp your feet all you want and complain about people who criticize you for asking for a local B&N, but then sit down and ask yourself why you're asking the HAI forum for a B&N rather than writing a letter to B&N yourself, because I'm quite sure their execs don't read HAIF on a regular basis.

Who's forcing you? You choose to live in an outlying area that is still developing, and while many familiar chains have made it out to your area, others have not. We're entering a recession and available construction credit has been severely constrained, even for good bets. I'm quite sure that B&N etc. are going to consider their own fiscal health ahead of ensuring that the good people of Katy don't have to drive a little over ten miles to get to one of their retail establishments.

Stomp your feet all you want and complain about people who criticize you for asking for a local B&N, but then sit down and ask yourself why you're asking the HAI forum for a B&N rather than writing a letter to B&N yourself, because I'm quite sure their execs don't read HAIF on a regular basis.

We aren't asking the HAIF to bring us a Border's or Barnes & Noble. We are just venting some feelings to our fellow haifers. :) And....if someone in Katy wants to have a Barne's and Nobel they should have the right to express that wish without being criticized. Geez.

We aren't asking the HAIF to bring us a Border's or Barnes & Noble. We are just venting some feelings to our fellow haifers. :) And....if someone in Katy wants to have a Barne's and Nobel they should have the right to express that wish without being criticized. Geez.

Why? Isn't my criticism just as much free speech?

Why? Isn't my criticism just as much free speech?

Your criticism is, of course, free speech. As is ours.

As an aside, I find it humorous that those who scorn suburbia consistently find it necessary to be involved in suburb-specific posts. If Katy is such a waste land, why do urbanites spend so much time on its boards? I assure you, your fixation with suburbia is much greater than most suburbanites' interest in mundane details that go on inside the loop.

It sounds like people need to work on these 'jokes'.

I thought it was funny, but seriously, you already have BIG BOX book store, Books-A-Million, it's the same thing, just not as cool at Barnes and Noble or Borders. . . fitting since Katy is also . . . :lol:

Your criticism is, of course, free speech. As is ours.

As an aside, I find it humorous that those who scorn suburbia consistently find it necessary to be involved in suburb-specific posts. If Katy is such a waste land, why do urbanites spend so much time on its boards? I assure you, your fixation with suburbia is much greater than most suburbanites' interest in mundane details that go on inside the loop.

I don't see forums, only New Posts.

I don't see forums, only New Posts.

And right next to "topic title" is the "forum" tab when using the "view new posts" button.

I live out in the Katy area and I grow tired of these posts. We need a bookstore, we need a Chueys, we need a pappasittos, we need a container store.

We don't NEED anything. And do you think someone is going to read this forum and say OH, what a great idea let's expand in Katy because Joe Schmoe needs a cafe express within 5 minutes of his house.

I don't mean to be a negative nancy, I think it just clutters up the forum. Also I grow tired of reading restraunt reviews on HAIF. People go to ww.b4ueat.com for that please.

Archived