Las Alamedas Restaurant At 8165 Katy Fwy.

You know, I'm not surprised by this. The food there never really impressed me, although the location did (backside forest and bayou). I think the landlord figured out if he got somebody in there with food to match the ambiance, that restaurant would make more money and therefore be able to pay higher rent.

Thus far it seems to have worked for Rainbow Lodge. Their new location (which happens to be about 5 blocks from my house) backs up to White Oak Bayou and the Foodarama at TC Jester and Ella and, while still nice, isn't nearly as exotic or scenic as their former location. Nonetheless, the parking lot is full every weekend.

Of course, the menu is I bit more original and unique than was Las Alamedas'.

• 2 weeks later...

Las Alamedas' building was the real draw, the dark, "Old Mexico" spanish colonial feel in the front, the big glass windows overlooking the ravine in the back. They did have some good fish dishes, but overall, I don't think I'll bother finding out where the new Las Alamedas will be, but I sure will miss the old one.

• 5 months later...

Las Alamedas Restaurant & Cantina will open its doors at LaCenterra at Cinco Ranch in spring 2010.

Owner Jorge Sneider said he considered several locations when deciding to relocate the restaurant from its longtime home at 8165 Katy Freeway.

He said the strong demographics in the area played a part in his decision to open the restaurant in the shopping center at 23501 Cinco Ranch Boulevard and Grand Parkway in Katy.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2009/10/12/daily25.html?ed=2009-10-14&ana=e_du_pub

Las Alamedas Restaurant & Cantina will open its doors at LaCenterra at Cinco Ranch in spring 2010.

Owner Jorge Sneider said he considered several locations when deciding to relocate the restaurant from its longtime home at 8165 Katy Freeway.

He said the strong demographics in the area played a part in his decision to open the restaurant in the shopping center at 23501 Cinco Ranch Boulevard and Grand Parkway in Katy.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2009/10/12/daily25.html?ed=2009-10-14&ana=e_du_pub

When they reopen in a new location it's never quite the same though, isn't it?

Looks to open in the spring of 2010 in La Centerra. Formerly at I-10 and Voss

HBJ article

Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 12:43pm CDT

Las Alamedas set for spring opening at LaCenterraHouston Business Journal - by Allison Wollam Reporter

Las Alamedas was one of the first upscale Mexican restaurants in Houston, and was the site of many elaborate weddings.

Sneider closed the 28-year-old restaurant in February while he was attempting to negotiate a new lease with the landowners.

The new 7,654-square-foot location will serve the same traditional Mexican cuisine for lunch and dinner and will continue to cater private events.

• 9 years later...
  • The title was changed to Las Alamedas Restaurant At 8165 Katy Fwy.

Archived