Houston Traffic Among The Worst In The United Stat

Study: Houston traffic among the worst in the United States

Houston traffic was among the worst of America's largest cities in 2002, according to the Texas Transportation Institute's annual Urban Mobility Report released Sept. 7.

With an average of 58 hours of gridlock in 2002, Houston's traffic was the fifth-worst in the nation among major U.S. metro areas.

Los Angeles had the worst traffic of all major U.S. metro areas, with commuters spending 93 hours annually in traffic in 2002, the most recent statistics available.

The average urban traveler was stuck in road traffic 46 hours a year in 2002, a 187 percent increase compared with 16 hours in 1982.

The Texas Transportation Institute, part of Texas A&M University, used data from the 50 states and the U.S. Transportation Department from 1982 to 2002. The study includes 85 U.S. cities.

The study shows traffic congestion is growing across the nation in cities of all sizes, consuming more hours of the day and affecting more travelers and shipments of goods than ever before.

"We can see pretty clearly what 20 years of almost continuous economic growth can do to us," says Tim Lomax, one of the study's authors. "If we're lucky enough to sustain this growth and the funding levels and options do not increase from current trends, we shouldn't be surprised if we see even more congestion."

The annual study is sponsored by the American Road and Transportation Builders Association's Transportation Development Foundation and the American Public Transportation Association.

The Gas Tank accident didn't help. I heard people couldn't move for 1-3 hours. I saw on TXCN(Texas Cable News) that Houston's traffic congestion is still increasing, and will surpass the "Big D" becaouse of it. The traffic is getting worst in Houston, but at a slower rate becaouse of mass transit, toll roads, and widening of freeways.

The Gas Tank accident didn't help. I heard people couldn't move for 1-3 hours. I saw on TXCN(Texas Cable News) that Houston's traffic congestion is still increasing, and will surpass the "Big D" becaouse of it. The traffic is getting worst in Houston, but at a slower rate becaouse of mass transit, toll roads, and widening of freeways.

Its going to be a while before our rate slows down, it will only increase due to all the construction of the road ways. But they shoud spruse up the Bagby area, pot hole CENTRAL!

• 4 years later...
Didn't? I clicked the link, then to the actual "in pictures". Houston made #6.

Looks like we're improving, though. 16% improvement 2007 to 2008, and construction was completed on the Katy Freeway expansion in October, so that's more untapped mobility that hasn't been measured yet.