Grand Parkway Project

There should be a limit. Past a certain point it does more harm than good. The government should step in because most people don't know what they are doing.

Just curious, when you say the gov't should step in, do you have any ideas for how that could be done in the Houston area? Urban growth boundaries, zoning, development fees, etc?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummm, does everyone really think that zoning will cure Houston's ills? I personally think that while it would be very useful, it will just put a new face on the basic problem of efficient and manaageable land use. If zoning were so great, why do places with zoning still sprawl? I think that Houston is still in the position to use alternative methods. If zoning were the choice, I think Houston is best suited for performance-based zoning rather than use-based zoning. Then again let's think about what peple complain about the most in Houston--billboards, signs, impervious surfaces, lack of vegetation, etc. Couldn't these be solved with ordinances? Sign ordinances, impervious surface requirements (e.g. not more than x amount of continuous paved surfaces), requiring sidewalks with each development, asking developers to plant more trees and grasses, etc? As a condition of building permits, I'd even look at allowing tradeoffs--allow a taller sign in exchange for less pavement or more pavement for more trees or something like that. It's not controlling the use of the land, but it's putting some other factors in just like water and sewer hookups.

Or here's a radical idea; if developers want to build a new suburb in a far-flung remote area that is almost inaccessible, (think Cinco Ranch-the early years or Bridgelands), then why not let them pay for the roads to be built out to their profitable little suburb instead of making taxpayers pay to subsidize them?

Excellent. Make them pay for everything. They should also have their own little police and firefighters. Why make ours go all the way out there for no good reason?

They should also pay higher taxes for using and benefiting from the central city.

Ummm, does everyone really think that zoning will cure Houston's ills?  I personally think that while it would be very useful, it will just put a new face on the basic problem of efficient and manaageable land use.  If zoning were so great, why do places with zoning still sprawl?  I think that Houston is still in the position to use alternative methods. 

Zoning's kind of an outdated technology anyway.

QUOTE(pineda @ Monday, April 11th, 2005 @ 3:43pm)

Or here's a radical idea; if developers want to build a new suburb in a far-flung remote area that is almost inaccessible, (think Cinco Ranch-the early years or Bridgelands), then why not let them pay for the roads to be built out to their profitable little suburb instead of making taxpayers pay to subsidize them?

Excellent. Make them pay for everything. They should also have their own little police and firefighters. Why make ours go all the way out there for no good reason?

They should also pay higher taxes for using and benefiting from the central city.

Did you read my post? The people in the suburbs do pay for all of their stuff through MUD taxes which are often higher than city taxes. Also, people in the burbs do not use Houston Police anyway. Firefighters are broken out in to districts outside of the city and do get tax money from the suburbanites for expansion. None of the concepts are new. In fact, they were part of the rules that developers need to follow to develop land in the first place. People in the suburbs pay there fair share already.

Also, PINEDA, I don't work for that consulting agency, but the letter you are talking about is a standard letter for surveyors. It notifies you that surveyors are going to walk onto your property. If it is a private developer, you can prevent them from getting on your property because of state laws and your rights. Governerment agencies are a different story. They do things the nice way first and then they pull out rules that will overide you. Because the GP is public and maybe now part of HCTRA, they have the right to get the survey thay need even if police assistance is needed.

OMG He's a moron!

Just listened to it too. You guys are right. Dan Patrick is a moron. And a complete and utter jackass as well. He talked over, interrupted, belittled, and engaged in unwarranted and irrelevant personal attacks. There's a reason I don't listen to very much local talk radio, and this performance by Dan Patrick is an excellent reminder of that reason. His ridiculous obsession with Billy Burge's not having a computer was just pathetic and childish. I have known a lot of VERY effective chief executives who don't have or operate a computer. So what?

Mr Patrick repeatedly attacked Mr. Burge for not knowing if the hockey team is profitable. Why WOULD the head of the Sports Authority know that? He is not running the hockey team, and unless it's in the terms of the contract, it's really none of his business.

Dan Patrick is a sensationalist journalist. A story falling in his lap like this must have been like christmas at the age of 8.

Billy Burge is a tactless bureaucrat that has been living the lie so long that he believes it. His petty personal attacks alone should have his position open to fill.

The GP represents a huge land grab, abuse of eminent domain, and the growing disrespect in our state government for private property rights. People already live in the path of the proposed project, and others like pineda can convincingly argue that the project is not a necessity for Houston or the greater Houston region.

Dan Patrick is a sensationalist journalist. A story falling in his lap like this must have been like christmas at the age of 8.

Billy Burge is a tactless bureaucrat that has been living the lie so long that he believes it. His petty personal attacks alone should have his position open to fill.

Yo dude, haven't heard the interview yet(btw, I'ma hear the interview 8 hours from now), but how does one man become the active chairman of the Grand Parkway Association AND the Sports Authority? What would be in it for Burke? Why would he be select to head both and not some CEO of, say, Enron? (hey, I heard Burke and Ken Lay could work REAL well together. Go get 'em, tiger!!) j/k

So like, if Burke were to,say, I don't know, quit both commitees, what other source of income would he get from Houston other than by selling propane and propane accesories?

Billy Burge is the Chairman of the Houston Sports Authority WHOSE TERM IS TO EXPIRE AUGUST 31ST, 2005, which is why he is fighting so hard to keep his position open. Remember how hard it was to get Billy Burge to leave METRO, they about had to use dynamite to blow him outa there!

Billy Burge also owns a company called Ayrshire. They seem to get a lot of the business from Harris County Commissioners Court, think County Jail.

Billy Burge is also the Chairman of the Harris County Housing Finance Corporation.

Billy Burge is also the Chairman of the Grand Parkway Association Board, but THAT MAY BE ABOUT TO CHANGE.....

Aye here is Burge's blurb off of the HCHSA website:

Mr. Burge currently serves as Chairman of the Harris County/Houston Sports Authority. He also serves as Chairman of the Grand Parkway Association, as well as Chairman of the Harris County Housing Finance Corporation. Billy is a member of the Board of Directors of both Wallis State Bank and Whitney National Bank. He is a Board Member of the West Houston Association, which he formerly chaired. Billy serves as Director of the publicly held Walnut Capital Corporation and Chicago Holdings. He was formerly elected Chairman of the Metropolitan Transit Authority Board of Directors, having served as a Harris County appointee to the Board. He is a former Trustee of the University of Houston Foundation.

Mr. Burge is a former Managing Director and Vice Chairman of the Board of Mitsubishi Estate Company Associates, USA, as well as President and Managing Director of Ayrshire Corporation. He has experience in commercial and residential real estate development in Houston, Dallas, New York, New Orleans, Atlanta and Los Angeles. He previously served on the Advisory Board of the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania Real Estate Center, and he is currently a member of the Board of Trustees of Landmark College. He serves on the Board of Directors for Mid-States Services. He is also on the Board of the Urban Land Institute Foundation as well as the Narramore Christian Foundation.

Billy Burge is the Chairman of the Houston Sports Authority WHOSE TERM IS TO EXPIRE AUGUST 31ST, 2005, which is why he is fighting so hard to keep his position open. Remember how hard it was to get Billy Burge to leave METRO, they about had to use dynamite to blow him outa there!

Billy Burge also owns a company called Ayrshire. They seem to get a lot of the business from Harris County Commissioners Court, think County Jail.

Billy Burge is also the Chairman of the Harris County Housing Finance Corporation.

Billy Burge is also the Chairman of the Grand Parkway Association Board, but THAT MAY BE ABOUT TO CHANGE.....

According to this resume here, it says Billy Burke is also the Chairman of the Leprechans with Leparsy in Harris County, The Soy Beer Association, the The North Pole Sports Authority, The Collition Against Humidity, the Gary Coleman Fanclub, AND the American Idol Rejects Counciling Center. Sounds pretty impressive to me :-)

I dont know a single executive who does not operate a computer. Wow. Stunning indeed.

Burge is a moron who needs to be replaced. He's as corrupt as they come. Think republicans, tom delay, lee brown, mayor white, the entire harris county government, all city council members, and the entire state government.

I dont know a single executive who does not operate a computer. Wow. Stunning indeed.

Burge is a moron who needs to be replaced. He's as corrupt as they come. Think republicans, tom delay, lee brown, mayor white, the entire harris county government, all city council members, and the entire state government.

Um, are you, like, saying Burge's a Democrat or Republican? And, like, would it explain why he's making us pay for the ice for the expansion North Pole Helpers hockey francise?

Questions for LTAWACS:

Isn't dishonesty the root of corruption?

Would impersonating someone else be dishonest?

On another thread you were asked a question which you haven't yet answered. Perhaps you missed it, so here's a link, the relevant posts are #16 and #20:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...330entry21330

and here's the actual question, by CaptAWACS, who for several years was a fairly well known poster under the moniker LtAWACS on other urban and planning forums, including this one, as well as his ties to Houston:

"It seems someone ganked my old handle. But I was always Lt AWACS with the rank using a small "t" but that was over 15 months ago."

"Question for LTAWACS, why are you using my old login name?"

Since many are quite curious as to your response, please reply rather than running away from the thread. Normally I'd say the reasons why someone chooses a forum name is none of my business. But given the uniqueness of the name, and that several have already posted that your name had confused them into thinking you were the previous namesake (but couldn't understand the completely different tone and logic of your posts), it would be best to clear this up. Surely you weren't intending to impersonate or mislead, right?

(This is a letter in response to a homeowner asking about the impact to his property when he received the letter from the surveyors.)

"We, the GPA and TxDOT, are continuing with the Supplemental DEIS process.

The SEIS is expected to be released this summer. The follow-up public hearing will be held in the fall.

No decision regarding the route has been made (at least not publicly to you all) by the GPA, TxDOT or FHWA.

HCTRA, as an independent agency (that does not have to abide the same federal environmental guidelines as TxDOT does), is working on a route that is similar to the "E" route (approx. 1000' from the front doors of Klein Oak High School) shown in our document and reflects public comments from last year's meetings (made by people who do not live in the Spring area). We too are looking at some alternative routes for the SEIS to compare to the routes already developed. (even though the person we hired to do the Environmental Studies is quitting at the end of this month...)

HCTRA has engaged firms (Kellogg, Brown & Root) to prepare schematics for a toll road in segments E, F1, F2 and G. To do this work, the firms have sent letters regarding permission to survey properties in each of these segments (we'll ask nicely the first time).

HCTRA has not (publicly) taken the project over. They are doing advanced work on a route that they feel should be protected (see H.B. 3588 for details on how they plan to do advance acquisitions) and ultimately constructed, if not by TxDOT (who is for all practical purposes broke and has said that this road as well as all new road projects will be tolled projects) then by HCTRA (who is still trying to figure out why the Westpark Tollway and the Hardy didn't quite work out the way that Senator Jon Lindsay said they would), to benefit the citizens of Harris County. (yes, we know you're a citizen too, but that's beside the point, isn't it?)

The GPA, TxDOT, and HCTRA, are sensitive to your concerns (not really, but does it make you feel better that we said that?) and intend to work cooperatively with local citizens (as we continue to hold behind-closed-door meetings with developers only) to develop a project that address area transportation needs and minimizes impacts.

However, there will be (enormous, okay?) impacts with any route chosen. Our job is to minimize (how do feel about an "earthen berm"?) the impacts. In this case, the citizens of Mossy Oaks may be in the path of 'least' impacts (translation: you'll be living right next to it, but we won't need to bulldoze your home) for the greater area. This does not mean that the GPA, TxDOT or HCTRA do not recognize that there will be impacts to some (that's right, some of your neighbors will be royally screwed, of course) in the Mossy Oaks community. Mitigation (how much will it cost to make you go away?) will be proposed for each type of impact.

Thank you (not really...) for your (how did you know how to contact me?) communication. Please feel free to reply (really, we don't care what you do), should you have additional questions.

David

David Gornet, P.E.

Executive Director

Grand Parkway Association

(note to all in case you missed it: everything in parentheses was added by me!)