Sears At 1101 South Shaver St.

NenaE

I found this link when researching the Bellows Construction Company, a name I got from the "Life" b/w picture of the Wayside at Harrisburg Rd. (Magnolia Park) Sears store. Their resume is impressive. Be sure to also check out the pic galleries of 1920 forward. The Sears pics are located in the 1940 and/ or 1950 category. Click on each picture for a close-up view. The architect info. & year are located on each pic.

link: http://www.wsbellows.com/timeline.asp?decade=1950

Looks like George L. Dahl was the architect for the N. Shepherd (Oak Forest) & Southmore (Pasadena) stores.

There's also a pic of Meyerland & the Prudential Bldg.

Edited by NenaE

The Houston - An Architectural Guide - 1st Edition (1972) AIA book lists the Pasadena store's official address as 1101 South Shaver (it fronted Southmore), and the architect as Cowell & Neuhaus. Their name is alongside Dahl's in the Pasadena store photo, it's hard to read.

You sure can see, from these photos, the lack of detail in the 1950's stores. The first two stores (Buffalo Dr. & S. Main) are still, by far, my favorite designs.

Edited by NenaE

• The title was changed to Sears At 1101 South Shaver St.