Major USPS deficits

sevfiv

I fathom there would be many who would be upset at something like this, either out of laziness or preconceived belief that all mail MUST be delivered to each persons door, but it would address many of the concerns out there right now....

Yes, laziness. On part of the USPS.

In the 40's/1950's and early 60's... mail was delivered to the front door. No mail boxes on the street. That was nice. Also a nice way for the mailman to walk/stay in shape.

In the 60's/1970's/early 80's... mail was delivered to the curb. Everyone had a mailbox, on the curb. That is how my current home is. Built in 1980.

In the mid/late 80's... up to present... everybody is forced to go to an apartment-style community mailbox, completely unfitting for a neighborhood with single family housing. That is how the "new section" of my neighborhood is serviced, built in the mid to late 80's. Terrible.

Since 99% of the mail is complete junk, I say shut it all down. Pay your bills on line. Tell grandma how to read and use email vs. getting a real post card.

In the mid/late 80's... up to present... everybody is forced to go to an apartment-style community mailbox, completely unfitting for a neighborhood with single family housing. That is how the "new section" of my neighborhood is serviced, built in the mid to late 80's. Terrible.

I saw this recently in a retirement village. Because it's fairly newly built, the Postal Service insisted on those group mailboxes. But the people living in all of the homes in the community are 65+, with most of them using walkers and wheelchairs to get around.

I saw the mailman. She's probably in her mid-30's and could easily drop the mail at each home in about an hour. Not that I'm blaming her; I'm not.

I asked how people get their mail and the answer was that most of them only get it once a week or less, depending on their abilities. God forbid they get a package and have to collect it at a post office.

This is typical of the level of "customer service" that we've come to expect from the Postal Service, and it's a big reason why so many people don't use the Postal Service anymore.

Since 99% of the mail is complete junk, I say shut it all down. Pay your bills on line. Tell grandma how to read and use email vs. getting a real post card.

How do you propose to deliver checks, tax documents, legal forms, and other paperwork?

Considering a FedEx letter mailed from Houston to Dallas cost $10.37 versus $0.42 for a letter mailed by USPS, I wonder how it is such a great solution to eliminate the Postal Service. That $10.37 does not get your letter to Dallas overnight, mind you. That would get a letter mailed on Friday to Dallas on TUESDAY. And, while I simply put the letter in my mailbox to be picked up by the mail carrier, using a private service requires either calling or going online to set up a pickup (extra cost), or driving to a dropoff site (extra time and cost). I know that it is oh so hip and cool to denigrate that great dinosaur 'snail mail', but can anyone explain to me why I should applaud the elimination of a service that comes to my door for one that requires me to drive to them at a 2460% higher cost? Anyone? Brian?

The USPS posted a $2.8 Billion loss last year on account of delivering 9 Billion fewer pieces of mail, due to the recession. Do the math. 9 billion times 42 cents equals $3.78 Billion. Is anyone suggesting that the USPS is the only one who lost money last year? How many banks would LOVE to report a $2.8 Billion loss right now? And what does that loss represent? $9 per person a year. Think about that. Add the $9 to the price of a stamp, and the price is STILL less than sending ONE letter to Dallas via FedEx.

When I was self employed, I sent out over 100 bills to clients every month. The cost? $42.00. Via FedEx? $1037.00 to do the same thing. Online billing? Sure. Probably less than half my clients had computers, much less internet service. Those rooting for the elimination of the USPS should go talk to actual business people and see what their thoughts are. Go talk to those big corporations with the FedEx discounts and see if they want to mail several million credit card statements a month by FedEx. Then get back to me. You might also look at who the major complainers are when stamp price increases are announced. I'll give you a hint. It ain't Grandma.

I think that a 5 day mail week would be a good solution for the USPS. I also think that the elimination of Saturday delivery rather than a day during the week is preferable. I also do not mind an increase in the price of stamps. $0.45 sure beats $10.37.

I still think eliminating Saturday delivery is a decent option - not closing the post office, just no mail at your door.

While I maybe personally mail something less than five times per year, I mail things all the time at work. These things could be digitized in some way, but some folks prefer paper in hand or don't have the capabilities to accept large files (or anything) via the internet (like Red mentioned).

I think another price increase of stamps would be fair, but that will probably lead to even more people making the switch to other delivery methods.

Considering a FedEx letter mailed from Houston to Dallas cost $10.37 versus $0.42 for a letter mailed by USPS, I wonder how it is such a great solution to eliminate the Postal Service. That $10.37 does not get your letter to Dallas overnight, mind you. That would get a letter mailed on Friday to Dallas on TUESDAY. And, while I simply put the letter in my mailbox to be picked up by the mail carrier, using a private service requires either calling or going online to set up a pickup (extra cost), or driving to a dropoff site (extra time and cost). I know that it is oh so hip and cool to denigrate that great dinosaur 'snail mail', but can anyone explain to me why I should applaud the elimination of a service that comes to my door for one that requires me to drive to them at a 2460% higher cost? Anyone? Brian?

That's because of economies of scale. If Fedex were allowed to process more lightweight items and were allowed to drop such items into the mailbox (which is currently illegal) they would be able to reduce costs significantly.

Yes, laziness. On part of the USPS.

In the 40's/1950's and early 60's... mail was delivered to the front door. No mail boxes on the street. That was nice. Also a nice way for the mailman to walk/stay in shape.

In the 60's/1970's/early 80's... mail was delivered to the curb. Everyone had a mailbox, on the curb. That is how my current home is. Built in 1980.

That's because you're in the burbs. :lol: Most inner-city homes have mailboxes on their houses and the post-person still walks the beat, like in old times.

That's because of economies of scale. If Fedex were allowed to process more lightweight items and were allowed to drop such items into the mailbox (which is currently illegal) they would be able to reduce costs significantly.

Why do I have this uneasy feeling about your deregulation claim? Oh yeah, because I am looking at my electric bill sitting on my desk.

I've had Fedex drop their packages in my mailbox. I alway thought it was off limits to them too. Of course, it's nothing to complain about or report.

I've had Fedex drop their packages in my mailbox. I alway thought it was off limits to them too. Of course, it's nothing to complain about or report.

Yeah, that's illegal. Its more to protect the monopoly of the Postal Service than to protect the consumer.

That's because you're in the burbs. :lol: Most inner-city homes have mailboxes on their houses and the post-person still walks the beat, like in old times.

Here are three examples, of three neighborhoods, right next to each other down here. You can walk from one to the next.

1960's neighborhood: You get mail delivered to your front door; mailbox is on the house. More like through your front door if you do not have a mailbox on your porch. How nice.

1970's neighborhood: You get mail delivered to the curb. So everyone has an ugly mailbox out front, but I don't care.

1980's neighborhood: You all get to walk to a communal mailbox. Awful.

I purposely avoided the newer homes, one factor being the mailbox service.

As far as I'm concerned daily mail delivery is an overkill. Four times a week is okay. If you run a business and need mails daily, get a mailbox, or pay extra. Another thing, I will gladly pay a dollar for regular mail because it's worth that, and more. Lastly, communal mailbox has advantages ten times more than door delivery.

3 days ago, you said you didn't need mail delivery at all, and now you are making real estate decisions based on mailbox placement?

Not for me... for the next people who will occupy this house... plus it is across from the park, tennis courts, etc... of which I don

The Eastwood branch post office on Lawndale has already started to do its part in reducing operating costs. It's now closing an hour earlier - 4 pm on weekdays and 11 am on Saturdays.

I've noticed that some days, no one on my street in Broadmoor receives any mail in their boxes.

Hmmmmmm....

The Eastwood branch post office on Lawndale has already started to do its part in reducing operating costs. It's now closing an hour earlier - 4 pm on weekdays and 11 am on Saturdays.

I've noticed that some days, no one on my street in Broadmoor receives any mail in their boxes.

Hmmmmmm....

You're lucky they are even OPEN on Saturday...I used to print my labels online and dump them in the automated machine at the Pasadena main branch before they took it out!

I can remember - just barely - when there was twice a day mail delivery in the US, 6 days a week (and penny postcards cost a penny).

The proposal to drop Tuesday delivery is because it's the lightest day. Those grocery circulars are not required to be delivered on the first regular delivery after they come in to the post station, that only applies to first class mail. They could just consolidate those items and send them out Monday or Wednesday. If you get both of yours on Tuesday you're lucky; I usually don't get one until Wednesday and sometimes don't get the second one until Thursday.

As far as the post offices to be closed, the requirement is that whoever takes over the site for other development has to include space for a retail postal operation, other operations will be consolidated at larger centers to save money.

I'm all for dropping a day, or 2. I'm sure they could arrange for business delivery and just drop home delivery.

Archived