Bike Boxes Downtown

The topic about cyclists reminded me of something.

At certain intersections the corners of the sidewalks have been pulled out and replaced by street-level concrete. Is this a Houston implementation of so-called "bike boxes" ? If so, I think this is really forward-thinking and I am glad they did it. I would like to see this done in other neighborhoods.

These?

bike-box-portland.jpg

http://www.portlandonline.com/TRANSPORTATI...dex.cfm?c=46717

What is a bike box?

The bike box is an intersection safety design to prevent bicycle/car collisions, especially those between drivers turning right and bicyclists going straight. It is a green box on the road with a white bicycle symbol inside. It includes green bicycle lanes approaching and leading from the box.

http://www.streetfilms.org/archives/how-to-use-a-bike-box/

eta: Now that I think about it, I think what you are seeing are concrete pads installed where Metro buses tend to sit. The concrete can better handle the weight of the bus and so the street is less likely to rut or sag over time.

An example would be at one of the intersections within the Houston Pavilions. The corner of the sidewalk was ripped out and now it is at street level for about the length of the crosswalk. It might be wheelchair ramps but I think it really works out for bicyclists since they could make right turns with better visibility.

Also it looked like there is on-street parking with trees as separators. I happen to like that idea too and would like to see more of it.

If I owned a camera I would take pictures.

Edit: I think the east intersection of Fannin and Polk has what I'm talking about, unless I just imagined it.

An example would be at one of the intersections within the Houston Pavilions. The corner of the sidewalk was ripped out and now it is at street level for about the length of the crosswalk. It might be wheelchair ramps but I think it really works out for bicyclists since they could make right turns with better visibility.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your point. I was of the impression that bicyclists are expected ride in the street or on bike paths. Why would the city install ramps to encourage bicycles to intrude on sidewalks?

My guess is that it's a way to both comply with the wheelchair accessability requirements and eliminate those odd-shaped curbs that pose a hazard to pedestrians. The 'traditional' wheelchair curb cuts have been responsible for many sprained ankles, and worse.

It's against the law to ride on the sidewalks downtown. There was a biker on the sidewalk that crashed with a car coming out of the Chronicle garage. I was told that he received a ticket for riding on the sidewalk. He was okay and refused medical treatment.

It's against the law to ride on the sidewalks downtown. There was a biker on the sidewalk that crashed with a car coming out of the Chronicle garage. I was told that he received a ticket for riding on the sidewalk. He was okay and refused medical treatment.

Yeah, its not something they cite unless there's an accident or some other dispute. I ride past coppers on the sidewalks all the time, but only if its a sidewalk clear of pedestrians and with no surprises (like a garage exit).

It's not really a sidewalk, it's like an area where there once was a sidewalk but now it's level with the street. I need to get over there and make sure I'm remembering this correctly.

Anyway even if this turns out to be a false alarm, Houston could still use "bike boxes" around town.

The intersections along Houston Pavilions on the non-St-Joseph-Pkwy side of the development all have what I'm talking about, though upon closer inspection they are not exactly bike boxes but could possibly have a similar function.

Basically they put these little white divider things in a way that more clearly demarcates the parking lanes from the driving lanes, and put some trees in for further effect. As a result there's an open space in between the curb and the dividers that bikes can use as a bike box (I think).

Anyway, for whatever purpose they did it, it really does look a lot nicer and I hope to see similar landscaping around town.

The intersections along Houston Pavilions on the non-St-Joseph-Pkwy side of the development all have what I'm talking about, though upon closer inspection they are not exactly bike boxes but could possibly have a similar function.

Basically they put these little white divider things in a way that more clearly demarcates the parking lanes from the driving lanes, and put some trees in for further effect. As a result there's an open space in between the curb and the dividers that bikes can use as a bike box (I think).

Anyway, for whatever purpose they did it, it really does look a lot nicer and I hope to see similar landscaping around town.

I don't get it. The bike boxes are for bikes to wait in at traffic lights?

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of bike boxes, there used to be some very nice boxes you could store your bike in (and lock) so that nobody could even touch your bike in front of the old library building downtown (Lamar @ Smith). They were like hard white hard plastic things that hinged, and it could be lowered down over the bike and then locked into place with a padlock...but they have now gone missing! Anyone know what happened to these?

Speaking of bike boxes, there used to be some very nice boxes you could store your bike in (and lock) so that nobody could even touch your bike in front of the old library building downtown (Lamar @ Smith). They were like hard white hard plastic things that hinged, and it could be lowered down over the bike and then locked into place with a padlock...but they have now gone missing! Anyone know what happened to these?

They are over at the former HL&P building. I think it's a COH building now. It's one block north of One Shell.

I really wish they had some sort of locking mechanism at the train stations.

I really wish they had some sort of locking mechanism at the train stations.

Me too. I've got my bike locked at the bike rack at the Downtown Transit Center station today, and I really hate locking it up there. Sometimes I come back and some jerk has turned on my headlight or changed the tilt on my seat.

Me too. I've got my bike locked at the bike rack at the Downtown Transit Center station today, and I really hate locking it up there. Sometimes I come back and some jerk has turned on my headlight or changed the tilt on my seat.

B-stards! Are the stations monitored by cameras?

• The title was changed to Bike Boxes Downtown?
  • The title was changed to Bike Boxes Downtown

Archived