Bike Riders On Katy Gaston/Pin Oak Etc.

descovy

I think you need to learn to recognize the equal rights of the people sharing your roads. Texas law allows them to ride on the streets so long as the ride as near as practicable to the right.

I would like to know why they choose to ride in the street when there is a sidewalk.

There's no sidewalk on Katy Gaston. Furthermore, riding a bicycle on the sidewalk is illegal in most municipalities, Houston included (not sure about Katy).

Why can't they ride at George Bush or Cullen?

Maybe they're commuting. Maybe they're unsatisfied with the relatively short trail at George Bush and want to take to the streets. It doesn't really matter why, because they're legally entitled to use the roads.

Bad cyclist etiquette is a separate matter to be addressed with individual cyclists, not a net to be thrown over all cyclists.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am a recreational cyclist, too. While I respect the rules of the road, and treat every car or truck as if it is going to hit me, I realize that not every cyclist does so. I also realize that gas prices and economic conditions are putting more cyclists on the road.

There's one other important point here. I am ALSO a driver. I don't blame myself or other drivers for the actions of a bad driver. And, drivers should not label ALL cyclists for the actions of a couple of bad cyclists. It is the same thing.

Now, I do have a suggestion. Since state law requires cyclists to operate on the road, and automobile drivers (and cyclists) don't like sharing the road, AND the cyclists aren't going anywhere anytime soon, it would appear to be in the interest of drivers as well as cyclists to push for more bike paths, trails and lanes. So, rather than call bike lanes a waste of money, why don't some of you drivers join us cyclists in pushing for more bike lane funding. It just might get you to the Kroger Signature store a little quicker.

Yeah, the number of miles of bicycle lanes in Houston is shamefully low compared to other major American cities. Even places like Dallas and San Antonio are doing better.

The bikers on the two lane road with no shoulders really tick me off too. You want bike lanes? Start registering the bikes with the state just like we are all required to do for our motor vehicles. Pay for that registration that will help fund these bike lanes. I think you should also have to carry liability insurance on your bike in case you slam into my car and damage it or you hit me while I am walking down the street. You should also be required to have safety inspections of your bike at least once a year.

The City of Houston requires all cyclists to register their bicycles with the city. It costs $1. It can supposedly be done at any fire department or at City Hall. Thing is, though, if you go there and ask for the registration form they have no idea what you're talking about. The form is not on the City of Houston website.

The City of Houston requires all cyclists to register their bicycles with the city. It costs $1. It can supposedly be done at any fire department or at City Hall. Thing is, though, if you go there and ask for the registration form they have no idea what you're talking about. The form is not on the City of Houston website.

I think the law was quietly dropped this fall.

Houston drops bike registration

You act as though all of us cyclists do not own cars. We pay registration, we buy gas. And frankly, we did not ask for all those bike lanes. We are actually following state law by riding in the middle of the road. And insurance? Have you had a recurring problem with cyclists running into your car? Unlike many of the motorists I encounter driving around Houston, cyclists actually try to avoid running into things. Next time a cyclist runs into you, be sure to let us know.

I am curious why you are on those backroads between Katy and Navasota. Nice scenery? Less traffic? Yeah, that's why we're there, too.

I am not the least bit irritated at cars. Most every cyclist I know owns one or more of them. We are not hypocrites. Just as I pointed out to the other road ragers, the best way to get the cyclists off of "your" road is to support the building of more bike lanes, paths and trails. That way, you can then demand that the state change the law that puts us on "your" road in the first place.

Note: Left untouched is the issue of why the momentary slowing to pass a cyclist provokes such rage in motorists in the first place. Self-conciousness at one's own lack of a healthy lifestyle? Living in the suburbs is not the bucolic and stress free living that it is advertised to be? Recently quit smoking? It must be something, because waiting to pass a cyclist is only a momentary delay. I know. As a motorist as well, I do it often, sans the rage. The outrage expressed here is completely out of scale to the time waiting on a cyclist. A stoplight takes longer.

To answer your questions - no, I haven't had a recurring problem with cyclists running into my car. Nor have I had a recurring problem with other motorists running into my car or me running my car into other things. I still am legally required to carry insurance. Why am I on the backroads? It is the route to College Station that I take from Katy.

I understand that building bike lanes out in the middle of nowhere isn't feasable. I am not calling the road "my road". My frustration is directed towards the groups of bikers (wheather that group is two people or ten) that feel they own the road / lane they are cycling in. I would say the majority of bikers I come across make a point to stay out of the way - most likely out of courtesy and fear for their lives. As a driver, I make a point to not run up real fast behind them. I make a point to give them as much room as possible when passing them as I would want the same treatment if I were on a bike. I don't lash out in frustration towards these bikers by cutting them off or anything stupid like that.

So you say that riding in the middle of the lane is state law, huh? I wasn't aware of that. I would guess that most drivers aren't aware of that. We all know legal or not, if a car hits a biker the car is going to win. It might be an accident - and there are also people out there crazy enough for it not to be an accident.

To your attempt at assessing why a driver might get frustrated towards the cyclists - you are off on all counts.

I just thought I would add in my opinion to the mix...

Maybe this was a good road to ride years back, but for the safety of cyclists and others, they should ride elsewhere. Moreover do they think riding on that road is fun? Do they have a deathwish? It doesn't look fun, it looks very stressful and scary.

I still haven't figured out why anyone would WANT to ride there...

Where's the sanity?

One might always suggest that drivers who are bothered by cyclists should find routes with fewer bikes and drive elsewhere. I'm sorry, but there's no real alternative to riding on roads if you are trying to do distances or, more importantly, get somewhere.

As I said I do not own a car, but I don't sit around asking that people who do drive find alternative routes because I don't like having to deal with them on the streets.

I have heard that about bicyclists sticking to the middle of the road, but I find that really hard to do and I'm not sure it is safer if it makes it harder for others to pass you. I do stick close to the curb.

One might always suggest that drivers who are bothered by cyclists should find routes with fewer bikes and drive elsewhere. I'm sorry, but there's no real distance to riding on roads if you are trying to do distances or, more importantly, get somewhere.

Do you mean "alternative" here?

I have heard that about bicyclists sticking to the middle of the road, but I find that really hard to do and I'm not sure it is safer if it makes it harder for others to pass you. I do stick close to the curb.

No, the law states that bicycles must ride as far to the right "as practicable." That's where the "interpretation" lies. Frequently, the rightmost section of the pavement is badly rutted and full of broken glass. Additionally, a cyclist can argue with some justification that riding on the edge of the right lane encourages cars to try to pass them in the same lane, which everyone agrees is highly dangerous.

Well bike lanes don't cut it.

Cell Phones, BlackBerrys, drunks and cars have killed more cyclist in Bike Lanes than I would ever be safe.

In 20 something years of cycling I have come to this knowledge

Have never spit at a car (But I have been spit on a few times and had hot butts flicked at us)

Have never tried to run a car off the road (But have been run off the road a few times)

Have never thrown anything at a moving car (But have had oranges, etc thrown at me, and one took my friend off his bike and us to the ER with a severly brused chest, ER doc was amazed)

Have never gone after a dog (But have had people sic there dog on me or riding group)

In all these instances was doing nothing more than riding the shoulder or the line on some pretty untrafficed areas.

There are fair amount of aholes on bikes but a profane word, etc I understand but be so enraged or just find so much fun in trying to take someone out or make it seem like you will run them over just escapes me. My wife is not a bike rider and she doesn't want me out on the main roads on my bike anymore strickly based on how she sees cars react to the bikes on Fry coming home from there jobs.

I understand that building bike lanes out in the middle of nowhere isn't feasable. I am not calling the road "my road". My frustration is directed towards the groups of bikers (wheather that group is two people or ten) that feel they own the road / lane they are cycling in.

But the bicyclists own the road just as much as the automobilists. There is no special privilege given to cars. It sounds like your frustration is based in a misunderstanding of Texas law.

Well bike lanes don't cut it.

Cell Phones, BlackBerrys, drunks and cars have killed more cyclist in Bike Lanes than I would ever be safe.

In 20 something years of cycling I have come to this knowledge

Have never spit at a car (But I have been spit on a few times and had hot butts flicked at us)

Have never tried to run a car off the road (But have been run off the road a few times)

Have never thrown anything at a moving car (But have had oranges, etc thrown at me, and one took my friend off his bike and us to the ER with a severly brused chest, ER doc was amazed)

Have never gone after a dog (But have had people sic there dog on me or riding group)

In all these instances was doing nothing more than riding the shoulder or the line on some pretty untrafficed areas.

There are fair amount of aholes on bikes but a profane word, etc I understand but be so enraged or just find so much fun in trying to take someone out or make it seem like you will run them over just escapes me. My wife is not a bike rider and she doesn't want me out on the main roads on my bike anymore strickly based on how she sees cars react to the bikes on Fry coming home from there jobs.

Sounds like a pretty rational conclusion has and can be reached from that analysis.

But the bicyclists own the road just as much as the automobilists. There is no special privilege given to cars. It sounds like your frustration is based in a misunderstanding of Texas law.

The laws of physics give special privilege to cars. Your assessment of my frustration is wrong. If the laws do indeed give bikes the same "ownership" of the road that cars have then my frustration is with the laws.

Again - I am not a crazy driver that does anything stupid or disrespectful to bikers. I wouldn't want anything done to me - so I play nice, slow down, and give them plenty of room when passing.

All of the "law" and "cyclist rights" stuff aside - for the life of me I can't understand why someone would ride a bike down Fry Road during rush hour. While it might be your right and the law says you can be there - it just seems incredibly dangerous. People drive crazy. All it takes is for one car to come up behind you real fast and then change lanes quickly to go around you. The second car that was tailgating the first car doesn't realize that the first car is passing a biker and slams into you. It can happen so fast. If that is your time to ride it seems like there could be safer roads to ride on in the Katy area.

Just my opinion.

The bikers on the two lane road with no shoulders really tick me off too. You want bike lanes? Start registering the bikes with the state just like we are all required to do for our motor vehicles. Pay for that registration that will help fund these bike lanes. I think you should also have to carry liability insurance on your bike in case you slam into my car and damage it or you hit me while I am walking down the street. You should also be required to have safety inspections of your bike at least once a year.

I am not against all of the bikes on the road. It just irritates me to no end when there is a group of bikers on a two lane road with no shoulder. It has happened to me on the backroads between Katy and Navasota. They will block an entire lane of a two lane road that has a speed limit of 60 MPH. Your only option is to pass them by moving over into oncoming traffic. If there are cars coming at you you have to slow down until it is safe to pass.

Most of us are at least aware enough to notice you on the road. You get so irritated at cars - yet who is going to win when a driver doesn't notice you and barrels through your group at 60 MPH? Or, when someone is coming at you in the oncoming traffic and is passing a car in your lane - and hits you head on?? It just seems that there are better, safer places for folks to ride.

A driver that is going 60 MPH and doesn't see a group of riders right in front of him needs his license revoked. Furthermore, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a two-lane road with no shoulder where the speed limit is 60 MPH. Name one in the Houston and surrounding area.

Riders ride on two lane roads because they're the ones with the least traffic and reasonable speed limits that gives drivers plenty of time to react and pass. Also, Houston has a painfully small number of streets with bike lanes.

The laws of physics give special privilege to cars. Your assessment of my frustration is wrong. If the laws do indeed give bikes the same "ownership" of the road that cars have then my frustration is with the laws.

Traffic safety laws are there, in part, to compensate for the laws of physics. By your logic, right of way should be determined by comparing the mass of the vehicles involved. Eighteen wheelers would be allowed to drive everywhere and family sedans would have to swerve onto the sidewalk.

Again - I am not a crazy driver that does anything stupid or disrespectful to bikers. I wouldn't want anything done to me - so I play nice, slow down, and give them plenty of room when passing.

Yet they continue to tick you off. All I'm suggesting is to alter your perception of the situation to reduce your level of frustration.

All of the "law" and "cyclist rights" stuff aside - for the life of me I can't understand why someone would ride a bike down Fry Road during rush hour. While it might be your right and the law says you can be there - it just seems incredibly dangerous. People drive crazy. All it takes is for one car to come up behind you real fast and then change lanes quickly to go around you. The second car that was tailgating the first car doesn't realize that the first car is passing a biker and slams into you. It can happen so fast. If that is your time to ride it seems like there could be safer roads to ride on in the Katy area.

Just my opinion.

By that logic, why would anyone drive anything smaller than Mack truck?

By that logic, why would anyone drive anything smaller than Mack truck?

Seriously? You must lack common sense. Drivers do not expect cyclist to be on the roadways. While laws are in place to "compensate for the laws of phyics" unfortunately people do not follow the laws all of the time. That is why people are killed every single days on roads across our country. If every single person followed every single law then we wouldn't need police, would we?

I am willing to bet that a family sedan hitting a cyclist is going to do a lot more damage to the cyclist than the car. While the cyclist might have had the "legal" right to be there, who had the last word? The car. Are you willing to bet otherwise? Accidents happen.

This is where the common sense that you lack comes into play. It is just not safe for someone to be on a bike on a road like Fry Road during rush hour.

Maybe I should alter your perception of my perception. I was wrong in stating that these cyclists tick me off - because in fact they really don't. When I pass a cyclist on a road like Fry during rush hour I think to myself, "Look at that idiot, he must have a death wish."

Isn't a road like Westheimer Parkway safer for you? It has nice wide shoulders that you can ride on to stay out of the main traffic flow?

In other news - isn't it nice to see the "Katy" section of this website active again? It isn't usually very active - I enjoy it!

Cheers.

You seem to have a lot of restrictions for where cyclists should ride. Don't ride on a road with shoulders like Fry, don't ride on a 2 lane road. I rode down the shoulder of Westheimer Parkway through GWB Park over the weekend, and I can tell you that the traffic was moving extremely fast. It was probably the most disconcerting part of my 63 mile ride from downtown and back.

Seriously? You must lack common sense. Drivers do not expect cyclist to be on the roadways.

No, you don't expect cyclists to be on roadways. I'm a driver and I always expect cyclists to be on roadways.

While laws are in place to "compensate for the laws of phyics" unfortunately people do not follow the laws all of the time. That is why people are killed every single days on roads across our country. If every single person followed every single law then we wouldn't need police, would we?

We all assume, to some degree, that other drivers will obey traffic laws. We drive through green lights because we assume other drivers will stop at red lights. Do you stop at green lights?

I am willing to bet that a family sedan hitting a cyclist is going to do a lot more damage to the cyclist than the car. While the cyclist might have had the "legal" right to be there, who had the last word? The car. Are you willing to bet otherwise? Accidents happen.

We all bet otherwise. Do you drive an eighteen-wheeler? If not, what makes you think you won't be killed by one every time you drive on public roads?

This is where the common sense that you lack comes into play. It is just not safe for someone to be on a bike on a road like Fry Road during rush hour.

My common sense tells me to ask if you have any figures to back that up. If it isn't safe, then the traffic laws need to be better enforced on that stretch of road.

Maybe I should alter your perception of my perception. I was wrong in stating that these cyclists tick me off - because in fact they really don't. When I pass a cyclist on a road like Fry during rush hour I think to myself, "Look at that idiot, he must have a death wish."

Isn't a road like Westheimer Parkway safer for you? It has nice wide shoulders that you can ride on to stay out of the main traffic flow?

You seem to be assuming that I ride a bike. I don't, but I don't think people who do are idiots with a death wish.

Why the hostility?

Seriously? You must lack common sense. Drivers do not expect cyclist to be on the roadways. While laws are in place to "compensate for the laws of phyics" unfortunately people do not follow the laws all of the time. That is why people are killed every single days on roads across our country. If every single person followed every single law then we wouldn't need police, would we?

Cheers.

GrandLakes, I completely agree with you. I think the OP was asking if the cyclists were crazy for riding on an unsafe roadway and was wondering why they chose to ride on this particular road. I knew it would bring out the outraged cyclists justifying their right to ride wherever they please. And yes, they have the right to make unsafe decisions, the same as anyone else.

I live in the area and have seen so many near misses because of a line of cars backed up behind cyclists going 15 mph. They may have the right to be there, but there is bound to be some jackass who is "in a hurry" that going to pass them no matter what. I too think there has to be safer places to choose to ride. And these are not cyclists who are going from home to work, these are weekend riders who choose to ride this route.

I agree that the bikes have as much right to the road as a car as the law states, but I have a problem with the biker's placing themselves in harms way. Through analysis by the brains up at A & M that have studied traffic issues, it was proven that slower moving traffic causes more accidents based upon the posted speeds.

With that being said, I live in this area and travel the same stretches of road. I respect the bike people as they are enjoying that lifestyle. I worry about them from the stand point that as drivers, we are not typically faced with slower moving traffic and thus the reaction time we are used to with other cars is skewed when dealing with the cylclist if that makes any sense. You expect a certain reaction from another vehicle going at the same speed as you, thus your judgement is off when dealing the the bike as it's a smaller object going at a different speed. It's like comparing apples and oranges to a degree. I will say that I give not only the cyclist a wide berth, but I do the same for the guys riding motorcycles, again I base my opinion on objects smaller than a standard sized car.

Have fun and be safe.

For some reason I doubt the motorists here really care about the well-being of the cyclists. I think it has more to do with feeling entitled to shave 30 seconds or so off of their total commute time, and complaining when that does not occur.

Anyway, the laws protect the riders, so (like in other places) you will just have to get used to them.

For what its worth, a large part of the reason cyclists use the "take the lane" tactic is that riding on the right side of the road gets you buzzed by someone who doesn't think he has to move left any when he blows past you. Taking the lane forces these people to actually leave the lane and make a full lane change, not to mention that its harder not to notice someone directly in front of you.

Well, in areas where the bike lane is demarcated (such as in Houston), the motorists don't have to switch lanes. So that is probably what they are thinking as they "blow past" a rider.

Of course a lot of this has to do with the speed limit of the particular roads. Houston traffic is conducive to biking but I usually go about 60 down Fry for whatever reason.

No hostility here. Like a previoius posted said above - you are making an apples to oranges comparison here. Comparing a "car-to-car" accident or even an "18 wheeler to car" accident to a "bike to car" one is not fair.

To clairify my position above - I don't think all bikers are idiots. I have very good friends that ride on the roads around town. The bikers that ride down a jam-packed road like Fry during rush hour are just asking for it. That's all.

N Judah - I (like most people, I hope,) care for the well-being of the cyclists. While the law protects the riders and we can all try to get used to them the law does not protect the riders from people accidentally hitting them.

memebag - are you saying that riding bike down Fry road is safe during rush hour? What is safer - being in a car or on a bike?

Well, in areas where the bike lane is demarcated (such as in Houston), the motorists don't have to switch lanes. So that is probably what they are thinking as they "blow past" a rider.

Maybe so, but Houston has very few demarcated bike lanes on streets. Far more common is the "shared lane, signed route", and the even more bizarre "shared lane, unsigned route", which shouldn't even be considered a route at all imho. I'd like to see some more rails-to-trail as rail lines go empty, but absent that, Houston needs a whole lot more bike lanes. Now that the I-10 expansion is complete, that should free up some capacity on the alternate crosstown routes people were using to allow for more bike lanes to get added.

memebag - are you saying that riding bike down Fry road is safe during rush hour? What is safer - being in a car or on a bike?

I'm not saying what's safe. I'm saying motorists are obliged (by law) to give cyclists the same courtesy they give other motorists. I only have a very fuzzy idea of where Fry road is, but if it's frequented by cyclists and they are unsafe because of motorists, then it may need a lower speed limit and/or better traffic enforcement.

For some reason I doubt the motorists here really care about the well-being of the cyclists. I think it has more to do with feeling entitled to shave 30 seconds or so off of their total commute time, and complaining when that does not occur.

Anyway, the laws protect the riders, so (like in other places) you will just have to get used to them.

I'm not concerned about 30 seconds. I'm concerned about getting into an accident on Memorial drive because 40 mile an hour traffic has to suddenly decelerate to 15. It's a lot like having someone driving 35 miles an hour on the beltway. It's the speed difference that's the problem.

I think we can all agree that the law states that cyclist have the same rights to the road as cars. But just becuase the law says they can doesn't mean they should.

I guess when they get run down in the street they can put the law on their tombstone and show everyone how right they were.

I guess when they get run down in the street they can put the law on their tombstone and show everyone how right they were.

...and put the driver of the car in jail to show how wrong they were.

OR those in cars could just drive safely, share the road with bikes, and everybody get along just fine.

I understand that you're saying the bikes being on the road makes for a less safe drive...but one could also argue that putting cars on the road makes the road less safe as well. If NOBODY was on the road, there'd be no accidents!

Bikes have the right to be on the road, just like slow drivers do, just like the elderly, teenagers, Chinese immigrants, and other drivers that irritate and annoy you, so the best thing to do is learn to share the road, drive defensively, and everyone goes home alive.

I'm not concerned about 30 seconds. I'm concerned about getting into an accident on Memorial drive because 40 mile an hour traffic has to suddenly decelerate to 15. It's a lot like having someone driving 35 miles an hour on the beltway. It's the speed difference that's the problem.

I think we can all agree that the law states that cyclist have the same rights to the road as cars. But just becuase the law says they can doesn't mean they should.

Most cyclists riding along Memorial ride on the paths. The ones who don't are usually going 25+. Approaching 610, there are signs saying bicycles are not allowed on that portion. Slower traffic and nearly all sensible cyclists keep to the right on Memorial, so if you want to keep going fast stay out of the Granny lane.

Bikes have the right to be on the road, just like slow drivers do, just like the elderly, teenagers, Chinese immigrants, and other drivers that irritate and annoy you, so the best thing to do is learn to share the road, drive defensively, and everyone goes home alive.

You left out BMW M3 drivers.

Archived