Bike Riders On Katy Gaston/Pin Oak Etc.

descovy

Seriously,

Can someone please, please explain to me the reason why bike riders like to ride this road. For those not familiar with the area... it is a two lane narrow road, no curbs, just a steep ditch. And it is *crowded* with suburban cars going 40-50mph+ with housing sprouting up all around (shortcut for many of us to I-10W or Katy Mills) Oh and one big 90 degree turn.

Why oh why would anyone ride a bike there? It is near impossible to pass, even as they hug the line (with a ditch a few inches away) Oh man, and when people are out there with *kids* makes me see red!

No, this is not an errant bike rider here or there, it's commonplace!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is very commonplace. I live in the subdivision right off Katy Gaston and Katy Flewellen. The bicyclists are out every weekend and there are tons of them. In the weeks before the MS 150, it is hard to get out of the neighborhood. I can't believe that one has not been hit or killed yet. The ditches are huge, the cars go fast and there is no shoulder. I've heard that they meet at the Sun and Ski at Katy Mills and start their rides from there. I wish they would find somewhere else to ride because they just make me nervous.

I am all for riding bikes and if someone can pull off living a "bike only or bikecentric" existence more power to them, but often I find a lot of "bike people" and other "cause people" think they are special or magically protected or they will get out there and make a point often with putting their life and limb and others life and limb on the line....they just pretend their cause or their mentality will protect them from people that don't care, drunks, reckless people, people distracted, or any of the other things that cause people to smash into people IN CARS much less people on bikes....I just figure "hey it ain't me or anyone I love so what can I do, but drive slower and gawk if anything happens"

they don't care or seem worried so I won't worry either :)

They have been bikers riding that route and many others out that way for many years and probably far longer than most of the people now living out there.

I cycle and used to ride out in those areas all the time but have stopped. Its just gotten to insane.

Find riding in the bike trail of George Bush park much safer and nicer.

But maybe some folks just won't give up there old routes and probably alot of what you see are bikers that are new to riding or seasonal when the MS comes around they ride anyplace.

I would like to know why they choose to ride in the street when there is a sidewalk. The cyclers are annoying and make me nervous. They want to occupy the streets and expect drivers to respect, but I don't see a lot of the cyclers respecting the drivers, i.e. driving between cars at redlights, failing to yield, etc. I hate when I get stuck between 2 riding side-by-side. Why can't they ride at George Bush or Cullen?

I believe bikers are required to use the street, they aren't legally allowed on the sidewalk. But I hit the sidewalk when it makes sense to. Using trails and bike lanes really is the best plan. I coming up Shepherd having to deal with biker guy, there's enough to worry about with left turns and 8 foot deep holes.

Yes, I have the same thing down here in Galveston County on Cemetery Rd. It used to be, 15-20 years ago, a nice road to ride bikes on. I did it myself, but now is a different story. There are groups of them, a club no doubt, that rides the road on weekends on some kind of circuit. It is very dangerous, with steep ditches just like your road in Katy.

They are not real friendly either. I wave at them as I'm out cutting grass on my tractor, but they are heads down, butts up, looking straight ahead most of the time. and always with a line of cars behind them trying to pass.

I would like to know why they choose to ride in the street when there is a sidewalk.

First, it's illegal in Texas. State law.

Though it's not obvious, it is far more dangerous to the rider to be on the sidewalk. Think about cruising along, and you are biking on the sidewalk. A car approaches to make a right turn. Are they going to be looking for a bicycle on the sidewalk? No. It's a great way to get mowed down, unless the cyclist stops to look over their shoulder at every intersection. Then the biker isn't looking where he's going.

It's dangerous to pedestrians too. A serious biker will maintaintain 20+ mph. That doesn't belong on a sidewalk with pedestrians. No ability to pass because the sidewalks in most places are too narrow to perform that maneuver safely. Not to mention that most sidewalks are full of buckles that will taco a wheel in an instant. Sadly, most of the bike lanes in HOUTX aren't much better!

I don't see a lot of the cyclers respecting the drivers, i.e. driving between cars at redlights, failing to yield, etc.

To some degree this is just being defensive. A biker at an intersection is a sitting duck! If cross traffic is clear, GO! Bad idea to hang around. Too many bad things can happen. Drivers run red lights. People turn right after checking left-side cross traffic, but not to their right (where a biker will be). If the biker is in line behind a car, approaching drivers will see the car, but not the biker and drive right into them. Common accident scenario. If a biker is first in line and stops for cross traffic, he should stop IN FRONT of the stop line, in front of where a driver would normally stop. Hopefully, they will be stopping whether they see the biker or not. Yeah, that does make the crossing traffic nervous sometimes when they roll up close.

The cyclers are annoying and make me nervous.

Trust me, cars make cyclers far more nervous! The car always wins.

:D

They want to occupy the streets and expect drivers to respect, but I don't see a lot of the cyclers respecting the drivers, i.e. driving between cars at redlights, failing to yield, etc.

Exactly. They put in a stop sign in front of our neighborhood this past summer. I don't think I've seen a bicyclist stop for it yet. I'll be turning left (at the stop sign) into the neighborhood and a group of cyclists will blow through the intersection from the opposite way, putting their hands up to indicate they aren't stopping and that I shouldn't turn in front of them. It's crazy and it happens all the time.

I understand that this may have been a route some have ridden for years. I accept that we have to "share the road" and I give them a wide berth, unlike a lot of other drivers. But I have to question your sanity when your preferred route has no shoulders, big ditches, fast cars and a blind curve. Please find somewhere safer. FM 1463, which is just one exit down, has shoulders on both sides.

I am a recreational cyclist, too. While I respect the rules of the road, and treat every car or truck as if it is going to hit me, I realize that not every cyclist does so. I also realize that gas prices and economic conditions are putting more cyclists on the road.

There's one other important point here. I am ALSO a driver. I don't blame myself or other drivers for the actions of a bad driver. And, drivers should not label ALL cyclists for the actions of a couple of bad cyclists. It is the same thing.

Now, I do have a suggestion. Since state law requires cyclists to operate on the road, and automobile drivers (and cyclists) don't like sharing the road, AND the cyclists aren't going anywhere anytime soon, it would appear to be in the interest of drivers as well as cyclists to push for more bike paths, trails and lanes. So, rather than call bike lanes a waste of money, why don't some of you drivers join us cyclists in pushing for more bike lane funding. It just might get you to the Kroger Signature store a little quicker.

I am a recreational cyclist, too. While I respect the rules of the road, and treat every car or truck as if it is going to hit me, I realize that not every cyclist does so. I also realize that gas prices and economic conditions are putting more cyclists on the road.

There's one other important point here. I am ALSO a driver. I don't blame myself or other drivers for the actions of a bad driver. And, drivers should not label ALL cyclists for the actions of a couple of bad cyclists. It is the same thing.

Now, I do have a suggestion. Since state law requires cyclists to operate on the road, and automobile drivers (and cyclists) don't like sharing the road, AND the cyclists aren't going anywhere anytime soon, it would appear to be in the interest of drivers as well as cyclists to push for more bike paths, trails and lanes. So, rather than call bike lanes a waste of money, why don't some of you drivers join us cyclists in pushing for more bike lane funding. It just might get you to the Kroger Signature store a little quicker.

OK Red, we had the state include bike lines when we approved the widening (curb & gutter) of FM 1764 here in Santa Fe. I have yet to see one bicyclist use these bike lanes, and it's been close to 5 years since the highway was completed. "Build it and they didn't come".

OK Red, we had the state include bike lines when we approved the widening (curb & gutter) of FM 1764 here in Santa Fe. I have yet to see one bicyclist use these bike lanes, and it's been close to 5 years since the highway was completed. "Build it and they didn't come".

Are you complaining that the cyclists still ride in the vehicle lanes or that I haven't ridden 40 miles south to use your bike lane? I promise the next time I am in Santa Fe, I'll use it. :)

EDIT: OK, April 5. You come down to FM 1764 and bring me some Gatorade, and I'll ride on it during this ride (check out the ride maps).

Space Race

The safest place a cyclist can be is in the middle of the lane of traffic. If it's safe for him to let cars pass, then he should, but he's not obligated to if there isn't sufficient room (look it up) and he has as much right to use the road as do the drivers and if cars behind him think that he's going too slow, then boo hoo.

It chaps my hide to see helmetless jackasses riding their bikes on the sidewalk and just ceding the road to the cars. A sidewalk is a terrible place to ride a bike - it's dangerous to pedestrians and to the cyclists - and if more bike riders rode responsibly, they wouldn't need bike lanes in the first place. As it is, most cyclists are afraid to get on busy roads and most drivers think they're not supposed to be there and aren't used to interacting with them. Similarly, the idiot bike messengers downtown who run stoplights and go the wrong way down one way streets also give cyclists a bad image and makes drivers predisposed to disrespect everyone on a bike.

I'll give the benefit of the doubt that the OP is worried for the safety of the cyclists and not just complaining that they shouldn't be there in the first place. If there are bad drivers and it's an unsafe stretch of toad, the cyclist is responsible for his own safety, but he has as much right to be there as the cars. If there's not much of shoulder or room to let cars pass, then the cars shouldn't be passing in the first place. The speed LIMIT is not the speed MANDATE. I realize that this is a fantasy and most idiot drivers will then do their best to pass anyway, but if just one or two drivers got thrown in jail for killing a cyclist or two through reckless driving that kind of behavior would likely stop.

The problem with the "why don't they use bike lanes?" argument is that bike lanes are too rare and, at least in Houston, not well maintained. Trash and broken glass accumulates in them making punctures more likely. I use a bike lane when it is clean and convenient to where I'm going, but I wouldn't make a detour to use one either. Not all riders are just out there for recreation; a lot of us may be actually trying to get somewhere.

Most drivers think they're not supposed to be there and aren't used to interacting with them.

I give drivers the benefit of the doubt. Most drivers don't know how to handle the interaction. I didn't before I until I started cycling.

It's real simple. Treat the cyclist just like a car. If drivers have the right of way, take it! Just like you would a car. There's nothing worse as a cyclist when someone is "waiting" to "be nice." The drivers mean well. But as a cyclist you have to ride with the assumption that person isn't paying attention. Numerous times someone has stopped to "be nice" and let me go, then grow impatient as they misjudged my speed and pull out right in front of me. Many drivers have a hard time juding cyclists' speeds. And speeds vary alot between cyclists!

Bikers have responsibilies too. The most important thing to do is be predictable.

Its funny, people got stuck behind some slow driving car, they just pass it. Stuck in traffic, no big deal. But if a cyclist holds them up... lordy, that really ticks folks off. There's some psychology to that!

Also, keep in mind that theres a new bill in the upcoming TX Legislative session. It mandades a 3-ft passing distance from motor vehicles. The text of the bill can be found HERE: http://files.statesurge.com/file/840744. Let your reprentatives know how ya' feel, however ya' feel!

OP here... yes, I do worry about the safety of the bike rider... and even the safety of the other cars. An example from last saturday... I'm coming up on a bike... not wanting to ride his a$$ but wanting to go at least *a little faster* than 15mph. And cars are coming up on me, creating a line. Biker hugs the line even tighter, and uses his hand to "wave" me around. Well cars are coming in the opposite lane! It obviously bothers him to have me on his tail, he wants me out of there... but if I chose to pass at the wrong moment, I could meet a car head on... or force it into the steep ditch on the other side.

And oh yeah, as stated in my original post, it makes my blood boil when parents take their children out there!

Don't get me wrong... I have nothing against bicyclists... bike lanes would be wonderful! I don't mind sharing the average road, and I know enough that riding on the sidewalk is not a good idea. Heck, my family is all from LaGrange, home of the halfway point of the MS 150. You won't see me picthing a fit way out in Fayette Co! (2lane road yes, but far less traffic) Although a 4 lane road (allowing a lane for passing) seems to me an ideal bicycling route. But what do I know???

Maybe this was a good road to ride years back, but for the safety of cyclists and others, they should ride elsewhere. Moreover do they think riding on that road is fun? Do they have a deathwish? It doesn't look fun, it looks very stressful and scary.

I still haven't figured out why anyone would WANT to ride there...

Where's the sanity?

The safest place a cyclist can be is in the middle of the lane of traffic. If it's safe for him to let cars pass, then he should, but he's not obligated to if there isn't sufficient room (look it up) and he has as much right to use the road as do the drivers and if cars behind him think that he's going too slow, then boo hoo.

It chaps my hide to see helmetless jackasses riding their bikes on the sidewalk and just ceding the road to the cars. A sidewalk is a terrible place to ride a bike - it's dangerous to pedestrians and to the cyclists - and if more bike riders rode responsibly, they wouldn't need bike lanes in the first place. As it is, most cyclists are afraid to get on busy roads and most drivers think they're not supposed to be there and aren't used to interacting with them. Similarly, the idiot bike messengers downtown who run stoplights and go the wrong way down one way streets also give cyclists a bad image and makes drivers predisposed to disrespect everyone on a bike.

I'll give the benefit of the doubt that the OP is worried for the safety of the cyclists and not just complaining that they shouldn't be there in the first place. If there are bad drivers and it's an unsafe stretch of toad, the cyclist is responsible for his own safety, but he has as much right to be there as the cars. If there's not much of shoulder or room to let cars pass, then the cars shouldn't be passing in the first place. The speed LIMIT is not the speed MANDATE. I realize that this is a fantasy and most idiot drivers will then do their best to pass anyway, but if just one or two drivers got thrown in jail for killing a cyclist or two through reckless driving that kind of behavior would likely stop.

I would much rather get a ticket for some antiquated law that favors pedestrian safety over that of cyclist than be a nuisance on a public road without a bike lane.

This arguement that riding a bicycle on a sidewalk is more dangerous than riding on the road with 2 tons of steel bearing down on your ass is ridiculous.

Do I want these jackasses in their spandex, space helmets, and fanny packs going 20 on the sidewalk, no.

I can tolerate them on a four lane road, but as in the OP's example, a two lane road without a shoulder or bike lane in any setting is bewildering.

Cyclists will continue to lose respect with drivers if they maintain they can break the laws of the road to fit them.

I have been riding a bike trail (level crushed granite or mulch) in a park through the woods with friends and family and had these nazis yell at me for not wearing a helmet. What gives them a right. no there were no trail "laws" posted.

I mean really I wasn't driving a harley down I-45 going 70 mph. Then by law I wouldn't even be required to wear a helmet.

Another case downtown Houston, out to dinner with my wife. My light turns green as I start to go a couple of feet into the intersection two cyclist fly right threw the intersection, I have to brake. I give them a honk to get their attention and throw my arms out shrug my shoulders like what gives.

well these guys part ways and one of them comes bearing down on me from the rear, chasing me down. he nearly catches me at the next light banging on the rear class of the suv. when I accelarate he is right there giving us the finger shouting at my wifes window. (I keep going and blow it off) dude was like 6'5" and would have kicked my ass, I didn't need that.

I would much rather get a ticket for some antiquated law that favors pedestrian safety over that of cyclist than be a nuisance on a public road without a bike lane.

This arguement that riding a bicycle on a sidewalk is more dangerous than riding on the road with 2 tons of steel bearing down on your ass is ridiculous.

Do I want these jackasses in their spandex, space helmets, and fanny packs going 20 on the sidewalk, no.

I can tolerate them on a four lane road, but as in the OP's example, a two lane road without a shoulder or bike lane in any setting is bewildering.

Cyclists will continue to lose respect with drivers if they maintain they can break the laws of the road to fit them.

I have been riding a bike trail (level crushed granite or mulch) in a park through the woods with friends and family and had these nazis yell at me for not wearing a helmet. What gives them a right. no there were no trail "laws" posted.

I mean really I wasn't driving a harley down I-45 going 70 mph. Then by law I wouldn't even be required to wear a helmet.

Another case downtown Houston, out to dinner with my wife. My light turns green as I start to go a couple of feet into the intersection two cyclist fly right threw the intersection, I have to brake. I give them a honk to get their attention and throw my arms out shrug my shoulders like what gives.

well these guys part ways and one of them comes bearing down on me from the rear, chasing me down. he nearly catches me at the next light banging on the rear class of the suv. when I accelarate he is right there giving us the finger shouting at my wifes window. (I keep going and blow it off) dude was like 6'5" and would have kicked my ass, I didn't need that.

you are in a CAR....in HOUSTON....run his dumb ass over once he starts to harass you....he will get the message

The bikers on the two lane road with no shoulders really tick me off too. You want bike lanes? Start registering the bikes with the state just like we are all required to do for our motor vehicles. Pay for that registration that will help fund these bike lanes. I think you should also have to carry liability insurance on your bike in case you slam into my car and damage it or you hit me while I am walking down the street. You should also be required to have safety inspections of your bike at least once a year.

I am not against all of the bikes on the road. It just irritates me to no end when there is a group of bikers on a two lane road with no shoulder. It has happened to me on the backroads between Katy and Navasota. They will block an entire lane of a two lane road that has a speed limit of 60 MPH. Your only option is to pass them by moving over into oncoming traffic. If there are cars coming at you you have to slow down until it is safe to pass.

Most of us are at least aware enough to notice you on the road. You get so irritated at cars - yet who is going to win when a driver doesn't notice you and barrels through your group at 60 MPH? Or, when someone is coming at you in the oncoming traffic and is passing a car in your lane - and hits you head on?? It just seems that there are better, safer places for folks to ride.

I've spent quite a bit of time behind the handlebars as well as behind the wheel, and I can say that there are lots of places in this four-county area where there are miles of great biking roads separated by a few miles of scary-as-hell two lane. As suburban development spreads outward, it only gets worse as traffic outpaces road size. I've never been out there, but I'm guessing those guys in Katy are in between much safer places.

You might be interested to know that in the cycling world there is actually controversy over increased/improved bike lanes. Some very vocal people feel that bikes deserve to be on the streets and that supporting bike lanes tacitly endorses the idea that bikes don't belong/aren't safe on regular streets.

And now, if I may, a word in defense of stop-sign runners. Specifically, four-way stop signs in urban or suburban areas. Many bicyclists are out there for exercise. Consistency and momentum are very important. Stopping, unclipping, and starting again from a dead stop is not something that we would prefer to do, especially over and over. It's not effortless, as it is in an automobile. And if you are waiting at a stop sign in your car, and a cyclist or a group of cyclists comes from a crossing direction, what do you think will be safer and less delay FOR YOU? Eye contact and a friendly wave as they proceed through the intersection or waiting for them to stop and start up again, especially with the possible confusion of "who goes first?"

I considered riding my bike to work a few days a week but after observing the car/bicycle interaction on the route for a few months, I let it go. Even leisure riding around is more effort and dangerous than it's worth to me. Until I move elsewhere, it's in storage -_-

The bikers on the two lane road with no shoulders really tick me off too. You want bike lanes? Start registering the bikes with the state just like we are all required to do for our motor vehicles. Pay for that registration that will help fund these bike lanes. I think you should also have to carry liability insurance on your bike in case you slam into my car and damage it or you hit me while I am walking down the street. You should also be required to have safety inspections of your bike at least once a year.

I am not against all of the bikes on the road. It just irritates me to no end when there is a group of bikers on a two lane road with no shoulder. It has happened to me on the backroads between Katy and Navasota. They will block an entire lane of a two lane road that has a speed limit of 60 MPH. Your only option is to pass them by moving over into oncoming traffic. If there are cars coming at you you have to slow down until it is safe to pass.

Most of us are at least aware enough to notice you on the road. You get so irritated at cars - yet who is going to win when a driver doesn't notice you and barrels through your group at 60 MPH? Or, when someone is coming at you in the oncoming traffic and is passing a car in your lane - and hits you head on?? It just seems that there are better, safer places for folks to ride.

You act as though all of us cyclists do not own cars. We pay registration, we buy gas. And frankly, we did not ask for all those bike lanes. We are actually following state law by riding in the middle of the road. And insurance? Have you had a recurring problem with cyclists running into your car? Unlike many of the motorists I encounter driving around Houston, cyclists actually try to avoid running into things. Next time a cyclist runs into you, be sure to let us know.

I am curious why you are on those backroads between Katy and Navasota. Nice scenery? Less traffic? Yeah, that's why we're there, too.

I am not the least bit irritated at cars. Most every cyclist I know owns one or more of them. We are not hypocrites. Just as I pointed out to the other road ragers, the best way to get the cyclists off of "your" road is to support the building of more bike lanes, paths and trails. That way, you can then demand that the state change the law that puts us on "your" road in the first place.

Note: Left untouched is the issue of why the momentary slowing to pass a cyclist provokes such rage in motorists in the first place. Self-conciousness at one's own lack of a healthy lifestyle? Living in the suburbs is not the bucolic and stress free living that it is advertised to be? Recently quit smoking? It must be something, because waiting to pass a cyclist is only a momentary delay. I know. As a motorist as well, I do it often, sans the rage. The outrage expressed here is completely out of scale to the time waiting on a cyclist. A stoplight takes longer.

I have never been on the same side of an argument with Red. This is sweet!

Two points here:

1.) Pedestrians deserve to be protected, too, and bikers coming speeding up behind someone walking slowly on a sidewalk is very very dangerous to the pedestrian. I don't see what's so antiquated about that.

2.) If you ride on the sidewalk, then those "2 tons of steel" are less likely to see you and more likely to just turn in front of you. It's happened to me on a bike before and it's not fun.

This, however, is correct.

7981.jpg

7990.jpg

(link here)

You might be interested to know that in the cycling world there is actually controversy over increased/improved bike lanes. Some very vocal people feel that bikes deserve to be on the streets and that supporting bike lanes tacitly endorses the idea that bikes don't belong/aren't safe on regular streets.

Amen to that.

I considered riding my bike to work a few days a week but after observing the car/bicycle interaction on the route for a few months, I let it go. Even leisure riding around is more effort and dangerous than it's worth to me. Until I move elsewhere, it's in storage -_-

A few summers ago when I still lived in Bellaire I rode my bike to work 2-3 times a week to work downtown. It was absolutely exhilarating riding in heavy traffic every day and was some of the best exercise I have ever had. Of course, I stayed off of the busy roads as much as I could, but in some places, particularly in the afternoon coming out of downtown, I couldn't avoid traffic (West Gray and Dunlavy were the worst parts) and I just put my head down and rode. One thing that I learned as that if I always obeyed stop signs and traffic lights (on the busy streets) and signaled my intentions and rode like I was driving, it wasn't that bad at all and I got pretty comfortable with it. It seemed scarier than it really was before I actually did it.

Welcome aboard, cotton! :D

There are actually some pretty easy compromises if compromise was a goal. Heavily travelled thoroughfares should have bike lanes, not because bikes should not be on the road, but because bike lanes improve traffic flow at a minimal cost.

Shoulders should be built into less travelled roads and designated for bicycles.

Members of BOTH the motoring public and the cycling public should learn to recognize that the road belongs to everyone. I drive AND cycle the same way...expecting that the other drivers are not paying attention, and with respect for others on the road, be they motorists or cyclists. If everyone drove and cycled this way, there would be no debate. Sadly, this is not the case. As cotton said, bad cycling should not be defendad. But, rude and aggressive driving doesn't impress me either.

I've noticed that on Memorial Drive heading East towards the 610 loop there are signs posted that say "No Bicylcles Allowed on Roadway".

That's in the Memorial Villages. They make their own rules ^_^ .

Actually, they have a pathway along those stretches, and it's a good idea since the roadway is modestly narrow and a bit slalomnistic.

I am a cyclist and a driver. I drive like an a-hole, so sometimes I find myself yelling at some biker to get the hell over. But when I'm the one riding, my main goal is to avoid a-hole drivers like me. I avoid busy/crazy roads if at all possible, and I give every possible right-of-way to the car that can easily kill me.

Doing the MS 150 training rides out in BFE was great, but equally dangerous if not more so than city cycling. Mostly because trucks/cars were going 50+, and most Texas (YEE-HAW!!!) pick up truck drivers could give a hoot about some fancy city cyclists with their "space helmets". If there was a shoulder, I was on it. When there wasn't I still tried to stay to the right of the white line. Still, every time a car was coming from front and back at the same time it could get scary.

Maybe as I mellow out with age I will drive more sanely. Until then, I support bike-only trails for those who need to ride, and for those who ride to get from point A to point B I suggest they use roads other than main thoroughfares. Like riding up Huldy instead of going up Shepherd. It just makes sense.

...and for those who ride to get from point A to point B I suggest they use roads other than main thoroughfares. Like riding up Huldy instead of going up Shepherd. It just makes sense.

Yes. I was greatly surprised to learn how extensive the Houston Bikeways program is. Admittedly, it is not all dedicated lanes and bike paths, in fact it is mostly share-the-road signs and identification of alternatives to heavily traveled streets. I have found most of these routes _far_ more comfortable to ride on than _any_ country road.

Houston Bikeways Map PDF

It just amazes me the amount of bitterness some drivers have toward bikers. Sheesh, chill out. In Texas it's not like day to day the roads are all that packed with bicycles that it seriously impedes traffic. Yes, maybe on country roads on some weekend mornings before the MS150, but that's it. Still, somehow life goes on.

Once again, biking isn't necessarily just a leisure pursuit. Some of us don't have cars, so the choices are bus, walk or bike. It would be lovely if there were dedicated bike lanes everywhere, but here on planet earth there aren't, so we're all going to have to share the road.

Archived