Tracking Obama's Promises

editor

will obama's plans for recovery strengthen the value of a dollar? i'm not an economist. i simply don't know what the outcome will be.

Then perhaps I do not understand why you are angry. Unsure, OK. But, angry? Sounds like you have decided that if a Democrat has a plan, it must be wrong. Never mind that he consulted with many top economists before proposing it. Under your theory, I suppose Robert Gates just went from a good Secretary of Defense to a bad one.

Then perhaps I do not understand why you are angry. Unsure, OK. But, angry? Sounds like you have decided that if a Democrat has a plan, it must be wrong. Never mind that he consulted with many top economists before proposing it. Under your theory, I suppose Robert Gates just went from a good Secretary of Defense to a bad one.

i think you are confusing my rant over the media with my worry over obama's plans. i'm disgusted with the media, not obama. my concern is that spending is seen as the only option. if it works, great. if a democrat proposed a plan that is fiscally conservative, i'd be all for it. unfortunately, they tend to spend like drunken sailors (as are many republicans these days).

it will be interesting to see how any failures are spun with dems in control of the white house, the senate and the house. who will get the blame?

i think you are confusing my rant over the media with my worry over obama's plans. i'm disgusted with the media, not obama. my concern is that spending is seen as the only option. if it works, great. if a democrat proposed a plan that is fiscally conservative, i'd be all for it. unfortunately, they tend to spend like drunken sailors (as are many republicans these days).

it will be interesting to see how any failures are spun with dems in control of the white house, the senate and the house. who will get the blame?

I think you are confusing government spending during normal economic times with government spending during severe recessionary times. While fiscal restraint may be admirable during normal times, during severe recessions, most economists believe that increased government spending can help spur economic growth. Even Republican leaning economists have applauded this strategy. The only cries for fiscal restraint during this economic crisis that I have heard have been from partisan GOP politicians and talk show hosts. If you have a better plan, let's hear it.

As for the media covering the inauguration 24/7 in the week before the inauguration of the nation's first black president, well, enjoy your pity party. I haven't seen too much of it, as I have been watching college basketball. Maybe you should as well.

I think you are confusing government spending during normal economic times with government spending during severe recessionary times. While fiscal restraint may be admirable during normal times, during severe recessions, most economists believe that increased government spending can help spur economic growth. Even Republican leaning economists have applauded this strategy. The only cries for fiscal restraint during this economic crisis that I have heard have been from partisan GOP politicians and talk show hosts. If you have a better plan, let's hear it.

Using this theory, then perhaps the Govt.'s spending on the Iraq and Afghan Wars have kept us out of a recession for the last 6 years, and nobody can put the blame on Bush for a bad economy after he has apparently propped it up for the last 6years.

I do not cater to the "fiscal restraint" that many are preaching. I think Obama should keep implementing W's plan of tax credits for big business to create jobs, thus gaining more tax revenues, from the supposed 4.1 million jobs, and a little slice for the Average Joes to spend on themselves.

The thing that offends me is how much coverage and passes he's already getting.

I don't recall such a big event EVER in my memory, nore do I recall the various celebrations other than the initial ceremony being broadcast or heavily covered.

Wasn't it the LAST inauguration in which everyone was aghast at how much his ceremony had cost, which seems to be about a third or HALF OF Obama's?

Now, I wasn't a fan of W, but this whole national hysteria is getting on my nerves.

Even if you try to ignore the coverage you can't. I watch (at the most 4-6 hours of tv) a week and had to severly reduce that lately. The people who will lose pay raises or jobs should be pissed because of the huge costs of this event!

Obama's signing an order to close Guantanamo as a detention facility later today, making good on another campaign promise. Should be closed in less than a year.

Thank you for routing this thread back on topic.

Anyway, not really an interesting point of discussion anymore, because Obama has already issued the order to shut it down. Bush's gang is out, and so are his foolhardy policies.

Quite frankly, I think this is the first blunder he has made, time will only tell how bad.

How quickly they turn.

The AP just ran a nice little peice on how the new administration is regretting the "No lobbyists" in Washington promise during the campaign.

The Herald Tribune, is calling out President Obama's selections for his staff and splitting hairs on his initial promise.

Honeymoon Over?

I think so, at least as far as some of the press goes.

This is the third person in his administration with tax issues? What the hell??

Someone I work with made the suggestion that maybe Obama is doing this on purpose... he knows his picks have tax problems, and this way they can come out big time, and an example can be made regarding tax evasion, and people whom pay the highest taxes not getting away without paying them.

Love Conspiracy theories!

Either that or it's just bad luck in his picks of the people around him... which seems to have plagued him forever.

Archived