Houston from the Air

Jax

Nice pics! The progression of the pics makes the approach look a little funny. One minute, you're to the south of the Med Center and over 288 like you're coming into 12R, then, it appears that you're instead flying north, parallel to the Eastex Fwy like the plane was all of a sudden given vectors to 22 instead.

Maybe the pictures were posted out of order.

Maybe so. Hopefully Jax will chime in and let us know if the plane did a quick dash to another runway while on finals, or maybe they were doing some of those infamous "S-turns" to gain space between them and the aircraft in front of them.

It is entirely possible that I posted them out of order. I can't really remember, nor can I remember whether we did any fancy turns while on our final approach into Hobby. I remember the fog looking much worse in Atlanta than in Houston. I think the coloring of the pictures is mostly due to dirty airplane windows. They probably would have turned out nicer if it was sunny.

• 4 weeks later...

dang houson does look awesome. thanks jax.

in that last photo, the med center looks almost as big as downtown!!! (minus the highrises)

Could you imagine a Houston with zoning? All of our midtown would be full with highrises. I wish someone with some very talented photoshop skills could alter that last photo to add all the highrises found along the freeways, Sharpstown, Memorial City, Greenway Plaza, Westchase, and Westlake, as well as the stand alones throughout the city, to see what it would look like. (I purposely leave out Greenspoint because in this fantasy they would be their own incorporated city and Uptown would probably still be zoned for highrises the way the Medical Center is..)

Just a wet pipedream.

• 1 month later...

Archived