Town & Country Mall History At 12850 Memorial Dr.

Lowbrow

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have attached two photos from the mall. The T&C aerial is from a wikipedia link and the second is a pre-demolition photo from me of the Dillard's wing. I had an opportunity to take pictures of the old JCPenney when they opened the space up for a weekend auction but I left my camera in the car. I went to the mall a month before it closed when there were maybe ten shops left. The Hanson Galleries that was on the first floor is still alive in Memorial City. Dillard's (Joske's), JCPenney, Saks Fifth Avenue (Marshall Field's), and Neiman Marcus were all anchors. JCPenney was only two stories even though the mall was three stories; all of the other anchors were three stories. Saks Fifth had six total mall entrances and Dillard's had taken up a large chunk of the third floor. Stores that I remember: Hallmark, Tilt (They had the arcade Michael Jackson's Moonwalker!), Kay Bee Toys, Circus World, Arby's, McDonald's, Things Remebered, Funkyard, (A old school toy and comic store), Sam Goody, Babbage's, and Express. The mall was shaped like an L with stairs in the middle. The elevators were placed in between the center court and Neiman Marcus as well as in between the center court and JCPenney. I remember the burgandy, white and blue colors in the mall and the bubbled up ceilings over the main walkways. The elevators had windows covered with a blue cage with lights facing the mall sort of like a globe. The restrooms were all the way on the third floor in between Dillard's and the empty space above JCPenney near all of the tables. The town and country signs were lit up at night with red neon. Just before the mall closed they started a multimillion dollar renovation to the third floor above JCPenney for a meeting space. Construction was halted when the new plans were laid out for the development that is there today. The air conditioning was shut off as well in the final three months of operation in most of the mall. Neiman Marcus stayed open about a year after the mall was demolished and then closed even after signing a long term lease to stay there. Neiman Marcus was demolished shortly after the closure and only the parking garages remain of the old mall.

This is a recollection of my memories in the mall from 1989- 2004. I am getting old so my recollections are cloudy.

post-8622-12468695106716_thumb.jpg

post-8622-12468697806597_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I remember Town & Country in the late 80s early 90s. I remember when Abercrombie & Fitch were OUTFITTERS--much like an upscale LL Bean or Orvis. I still have my parents' knife set that came from A&F. I also remember well that Sweeney's was the wonderful jeweler right outside the mall in the Village. I loved that store!

Banana Republic was an outfitter in the 80's, too. They used to have a jeep in each store.

• 7 years later...

I always liked Town & Country mall.  It was my "go to" mall for a long time, mainly because it was never very crowded and it was quick to get in and out.  They had an Abercrmobie & Fitch, on the south axis I think, back when it was an outdoor equipment store.  

• 2 weeks later...

I always like it best coming to Houston in early 80's

I always wondered if the owners didn't "play ball" and curry favor (bribes?) the right people.

At Beltway 8 and I-10 traditionally would be an ideal location. But got blocked by the two big construction projects. Made it easy to see from highways but difficult to get to. About the time I came I-10 was expanding from 2 lanes each side to 3 lanes each side. Then the Beltway tollroad was built on what was a 2 lane road in the middle of a green space. Both projects made access much much worse. They would of had a hard time making the mall more inaccessable.

Memorial City down the road had two very useful exits from I-10 going east and 1 or 2 going west. It blossomed while Town and Country was starved. The closest exit to Town and Country going east was so far down you either had to go to Gessner (where Memorial City was and loop back or fight your way over and go through the neighborhood. A bunch of turns.  

• 4 years later...

Late to the conversation but someone on our Houston History Facebook group was asking about a Greek gentleman who had a sandwich shop and remembered your order. Any help appreciated. I knew where to ask. 

• The title was changed to Town & Country Mall History At 12850 Memorial Dr.

Archived