Old Gas Station At Highway 6 And Wellborn

IronTiger

Where is it that you seem to think that Wellborn road intersects SH-6? Wellborn begins at Villa Maria, and runs parallel to SH-6 until it crosses 2818, then it becomes Old Wellborn Road, until Wellborn, (Koppe Bridge-Greens Prarie Rd area), then it's just referred to as FM 2154 and dead ends into SH-6 between Westbrook Rd and Prayer Ln. Thinking back fifty years or so cannot remember any filling station down there.

Guess you'll have to fill in where you seem to think Wellborn crossed or intersects Sh-6, you lost me there.

FM 2154 at Highway 6, a bit north of Navasota. Sorry, I thought that the answer was fairly obvious.

No need to be so pissy, kids. No one I know of refers to 2154 as Wellborn road that far out of town.

Back to the question - wasn't the gas station at that intersection called Annie's Country Store?

Iron Tiger, you need to lose the attitude, especially when someone is answering your question trying to help you out.

In previous threads I worried that I was guilty of placing you into the College Station spoiled brat stereotype without justification, posts like the one above unfortunately help to confirm what I wrote had some truth to it.

No need to be so pissy, kid. No one I know of refers to 2154 as Wellborn road that far out of town.

Back to the question - wasn't the gas station at that intersection called Annie's Country Store?

There was a mom and pop store there, it may have been Annies, can't recall gas pumps or not, but he asked about a gas station, that to me is just that, a gas station, not a store or roadhouse. My Grandfather and his brother (Walter), built and ran the Conoco that use to be on Texas and 29th for many years until he died in '78. He opened that station in 1936, and it was Barnes Conoco forever. Him and my uncle Robert built the Automotive shop next to it in '68. It and the station was there until 2001 when we sold it to the City. My Cousin Billy Francis sold tires out of the old station for a few years. I worked there a few summers in the late 50's and early 60's, wiping windows and pumping gas. That's back when full service was full service. We had to wear bow ties and carry a whisk broom to sweep out the mats, as well as the normal check the oil, fluids, etc. Very few of those left. I think Sevcek's in CS is probably the last Mohican.

scan0006.jpg

Those of you from BCS of my generation may remember Grandad. Here he is with my Granny, this is possible 1970. Always in work clothes, he always had on work clothes.

He also owned the Texaco in Northgate until it was torn down in '71.

Iron Tiger, you need to lose the attitude, especially when someone is answering your question trying to help you out.

In previous threads I worried that I was guilty of placing you into the College Station spoiled brat stereotype without justification, posts like the one above unfortunately help to confirm what I wrote had some truth to it.

Again, that's totally unjustified. First off, the HAIF was a bit slow-running that day so I was somewhat curt and short with my reply. You see, when one looks a map today, there is one intersection of Wellborn and Highway 6...it's near Navasota. I didn't mean to sound like a jerk...it just depends how you read it.

I think Annie's does sound correct. It looked a bit forlorn, but it was always the last landmark before you crossed the Navasota. Thanks.

There was a Shell station a little further south along hwy 6, just past where fm2154 intersects, I don't remember the name of it though. Used to be a sore spot for wrecks as people were pulling in/out. The only store I remember that was actually on fm2154 near hwy 6 was Annies? but seems like it was called something else too. Annies (or whatever it was called) was not there for very long (a few years maybe?). The Shell had been there for as long as I could remember.

• The title was changed to Old Gas Station At Highway 6 And Wellborn

Archived