Fotomat

Paul1956

Anyone remember the little Fotomat booths that sat out in parking lots? Some poor soul had to sit alone in a tiny little booth selling film all day long. What a terrible job that must have been.

I remember those, they were so small. There was one featured on the '70 show.

Anyone remember the little Fotomat booths that sat out in parking lots? Some poor soul had to sit alone in a tiny little booth selling film all day long. What a terrible job that must have been.

Oh my God Paul! You win the Oscar for Best Memory of a Houston icon!

If I remember correctly they were yellow like the film roll and the poor sap had to sit in it like a tiny prison cell! Imagine in this Texas heat? Not to mention feeling like a bowling pin in the middle of cars swerving past?

Now we need a pic! :)

Look, someone brought up in another forum...

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message654475/pg1

http://www.anvari.org/fortune/Miscellaneou...omat-booth.html

fotomat.jpg

Edited by Vertigo58

I can think of ways to occupy yourself sitting in that box alone all day ... alone with other people's photographs. I worked at a camera store and it's clear people have no shame.

...is that why you require sunglasses on your avatar now meme ? And you thought your mom was lying to you when she told you if you kept doing that , you'd go blind. B):lol:;)

...is that why you require sunglasses on your avatar now meme ? And you thought your mom was lying to you when she told you if you kept doing that , you'd go blind.

Did you hear about the girl who stood for days out in a parking lot next to a FotoMat singing "Some dayyy my prints will come.." gimme a rim shot

Didn't Fox Photo also have kiosks like FotoMat? I seem to remember the Fox Photo ones having flat roofs...

Now the real mystery is if anyone can name places they once stood?

I am almost certain we had one on Lawndale near 75th? near the old Tropicana Bowling Lanes it was next to where there once was a Kentucky Fried Chicken. This idea would never work now of course. You would have to sign a death waiver form before accepting the job. :lol:

Ask and ye shall recieve. Now, there were also some shaped like cameras for a short itme in the early 80's.

fotomat1.jpg

Here is a shutdown one.

fotomat2.jpg

Ohhh...That albino fotomat just doesn't seem right, I have some pics w/ envelopes from those places, they were a rainbow of colors. Where are the graffiti people when you need them. :D There was one at Edgebrook & Gulf Freeway, by that Grandy's & Weiners.

I have seen little drive-thru coffee places that look similar in shape.

Edited by NenaE

Don't forget Fox Photo! They had parking lot kiosks too!

Oh yeah, there was one of their larger stores on the Gulf Frwy, around Forest Park cemetary, had a big red/orange fox sign on it, might have shown it running, flashing back and forth (like those Mobil Pegasus horses w/ wings did).

Edited by NenaE

Didn't Fox Photo also have kiosks like FotoMat? I seem to remember the Fox Photo ones having flat roofs...

Yes, in the early days of VHS tapes they used to sell them for $15.00 each. I remember I wanted three and they wouldn't take my 50 dollar bill. With tax it was something like $47.50, but still wouldn't take the bill.

Now the real mystery is if anyone can name places they once stood?

I am almost certain we had one on Lawndale near 75th? near the old Tropicana Bowling Lanes it was next to where there once was a Kentucky Fried Chicken. This idea would never work now of course. You would have to sign a death waiver form before accepting the job. :lol:

I can name a few.

Fotomat -

In front of the Eckerd drugs/Safeway (now Foodarama)at West Belfort and Wilcrest.

In front of Gerlands on Eldridge and Jess Pirttle (SP)

In the Belaire Triangle parking lot.

In front of the old K-mart on South Main.

and there was one in front of whatever grocery store was at the corner of Bissonette and Leawood Dr. This has been a Bingo place for years now.

Fox Photo -

In front of what was Randall's and TG&Y at 59s and Murphy Rd.

I wonder how many people still have old family photo's from Fox Photo, with the little red fox on the border of the picture? I know I've got albums full of them!

There was a Fox Photo till about ten years ago at Fry Rd. and I 10. I think the Photomat's closed long before that.

Regards,

Rhino

I can name a few.

Fotomat -

In front of the Eckerd drugs/Safeway (now Foodarama)at West Belfort and Wilcrest.

In front of Gerlands on Eldridge and Jess Pirttle (SP)

In the Belaire Triangle parking lot.

In front of the old K-mart on South Main.

and there was one in front of whatever grocery store was at the corner of Bissonette and Leawood Dr. This has been a Bingo place for years now.

Fox Photo -

In front of what was Randall's and TG&Y at 59s and Murphy Rd.

I wonder how many people still have old family photo's from Fox Photo, with the little red fox on the border of the picture? I know I've got albums full of them!

There was a Fox Photo till about ten years ago at Fry Rd. and I 10. I think the Photomat's closed long before that.

Regards,

Rhino

Dang RHino, your brain must be on meltdown mode afer pulling those memories out of cold storage. Go grab a beer, you deserve it.

• The title was changed to Fotomat